Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

ECU and Basemap Suggestion for ZC VTEC engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 12:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon7 ECU and Basemap Suggestion for ZC VTEC engine

Hi,

I am planning to change my stock ECU (P2M) to a rechipped ECU(P06, P08, or P28). What would be the best ECU and best basemap for my Honda civic EK 1999?

Here's the engine specs:

ZC SOHC engine block
P2M head (20 camlobes. Not sure where this head came from )
P2M distributor
P2K intake manifold

Reason that I am thinking for an ECU upgrade is due to problem with the fuel efficiency 6-8KM/L and somewhat might improve the engine performance.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Last edited by Xcdt; 03-26-2019 at 04:58 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:20 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: ECU and Basemap Suggestion for ZC VTEC engine

Stick with the basics. Hondata works. Keep it simple
Old 03-26-2019, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Stick with the basics. Hondata works. Keep it simple
I think he meant which actual ecu?
If that is the question, the answer is: any 92-95 civic or integra ecu can be used. It would need to be socketed for whichever tuneable system will be used. And if it's a non-vtec ecu it can be converted to vtec.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:29 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by motoxxxman
If that is the question, the answer is: any 92-95 civic or integra ecu can be used. It would need to be socketed for whichever tuneable system will be used. And if it's a non-vtec ecu it can be converted to vtec.
Yep. There you go
Old 03-26-2019, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Yep. There you go
Thanks sir!

Based from my research, P2M head and dizzy came from D16Y5 Engine which is VTEC-E.

My car runs fine with the current setup and my only concern is the fuel efficiency.

I bought the car as it is with the specs I mentioned above and wondering if upgrading the head from P2M head/dizzy to P08 head/dizzy will gain performance and fuel efficiency or it is just a waste of money.
Thinking if buying a rechipped obd1 ECU and have it street tuned will be sufficient.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know someone from my place selling rechipped P28 and P06. Do you think any of those two will work on my current engine setup? TIA

P.S apologies for the noob questions
Old 03-27-2019, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Xcdt
I know someone from my place selling rechipped P28 and P06. Do you think any of those two will work on my current engine setup? TIA

P.S apologies for the noob questions
We're here to help, no matter how advanced the questions are, so there's no need to apologize.
A chipped p28 would work as-is. A chipped p06 can be converted to vtec, which actually converts it to a p28. IE it would be considered a chipped vtec ecu, as I mentioned above.
A street tune would suffice, if the person doing the tuning knows what they are doing. But a dyno tune would be ideal. Or even better, a dyno tune followed by a street tune.

As for your questions about the head, I don't know the answer to that, I'll let someone else chime in on that
Old 03-27-2019, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We're here to help, no matter how advanced the questions are, so there's no need to apologize.
A chipped p28 would work as-is. A chipped p06 can be converted to vtec, which actually converts it to a p28. IE it would be considered a chipped vtec ecu, as I mentioned above.
A street tune would suffice, if the person doing the tuning knows what they are doing. But a dyno tune would be ideal. Or even better, a dyno tune followed by a street tune.

As for your questions about the head, I don't know the answer to that, I'll let someone else chime in on that

Stock basemap for p28(d16z6) will work and disabling knock sensor to avoid CEL? Will bring my car to a known tuner here in Philippines if time permits.

Using a basemap always depends on which one? head or block?
Old 03-27-2019, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

P2M (D16Y5) cylinder head shares the same ports, valve springs, retainers, etc. as the P2J (D16Y8) cylinder head. The difference being the camshaft and the rockers in the P2J versus rollers in the P2M. The P2M cam/roller setup only allows 12 valves to function until vtec transition.

A custom cam for the roller setup would be ideal but would cost you the most. To save cost, you could swap over the P2J(Y8) rocker assembly and P2J(Y8) camshaft to the P2M(Y5) head. Even better would be upgrading to a comp/zex 53900 or similar aftermarket camshaft for a Y8 after swapping the rocker assembly.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex
P2M (D16Y5) cylinder head shares the same ports, valve springs, retainers, etc. as the P2J (D16Y8) cylinder head. The difference being the camshaft and the rockers in the P2J versus rollers in the P2M. The P2M cam/roller setup only allows 12 valves to function until vtec transition.

A custom cam for the roller setup would be ideal but would cost you the most. To save cost, you could swap over the P2J(Y8) rocker assembly and P2J(Y8) camshaft to the P2M(Y5) head. Even better would be upgrading to a comp/zex 53900 or similar aftermarket camshaft for a Y8 after swapping the rocker assembly.
All seems very clear thanks sir!

Considering the availability of parts here in my country and I just want a better fuel consumption with a slight bump in performance, is it fine to just upgrade my current ECU(P2M) to a rechipped obd1? Which basemap would be better for me (D16Z6 or D16Y8)?
Old 03-27-2019, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I suggest Y8 basemap if I had to choose, due to you having a Y8 like head and bottom end essentially, except you have the rollers/Y5 cam. However, if you have minimal bolt ons, I would use a stock P2P (D16Y8) ecu. Your current setup, you will have to buy an OBD2-OBD1 ecu adapter, OBD1 socketed ecu and basemap, to accomplish very little. If you are going to spend the money to go OBD1/socketed ecu route, you need to also purchase Hondata/Neptune and get the car professionally tuned to take advantage of going OBD1.

The basemap should eliminate the 12 valve/16 valve transition and this will hurt fuel economy to a degree. This is just something you have to sacrifice unless staying with P2M ecu.

Futhermore, your P2M cam is not the same profile as a Y8 or Z6 (I've read that the P2M cam is actually more agressive but I have no experience in using it), so you may sacrafice power by not switching the rocker assembly and camshaft from a Y8 over or possibly gain power by using the P2M camshaft and Y8 basemap. We are talking 5-10whp here lol, and a stock like driveability. Try it and let us know.

You have a stock engine. Your fuel issue is coming from another source.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex
I suggest Y8 basemap if I had to choose, due to you having a Y8 like head and bottom end essentially, except you have the rollers/Y5 cam. However, if you have minimal bolt ons, I would use a stock P2P (D16Y8) ecu. Your current setup, you will have to buy an OBD2-OBD1 ecu adapter, OBD1 socketed ecu and basemap, to accomplish very little. If you are going to spend the money to go OBD1/socketed ecu route, you need to also purchase Hondata/Neptune and get the car professionally tuned to take advantage of going OBD1.

The basemap should eliminate the 12 valve/16 valve transition and this will hurt fuel economy to a degree. This is just something you have to sacrifice unless staying with P2M ecu.

Futhermore, your P2M cam is not the same profile as a Y8 or Z6 (I've read that the P2M cam is actually more agressive but I have no experience in using it), so you may sacrafice power by not switching the rocker assembly and camshaft from a Y8 over or possibly gain power by using the P2M camshaft and Y8 basemap. We are talking 5-10whp here lol, and a stock like driveability. Try it and let us know.

You have a stock engine. Your fuel issue is coming from another source.

Thanks alot sir. Will consider your suggestions and if budget permits I might go for a straight P08 using my ZC block since p08(JDM) is more accessible here in Philippines than USDM parts.

Picture of my stock look but frankensteined engine lol

Also not sure why ZC sohc vtec block or engine is so famous here and is the most expensive sohc block compared to d15b, d16a, d16z6.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Using a basemap always depends on which one? head or block?
typically the head, specifically the camshaft(s). But changing compression ratio has a big impact in ideal settings too. This is why a basemap is just a basemap, and should never be used long term. The only way to get it ideal is to get a professional tune.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Which country are you from? I am having same ecu P2M N12 but it doesn't have O2 sensor instead a potentiometer is there. Does your civic also don't have O2 sensor as I cannot see it in the picture?
Old 07-29-2020, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hasan Khurshid
Which country are you from? I am having same ecu P2M N12 but it doesn't have O2 sensor instead a potentiometer is there. Does your civic also don't have O2 sensor as I cannot see it in the picture?
I'm from Philippines. Yes my civic doesn't have an o2 sensor and ended up adding a bung hole for it since i don't like an I/H/E upgrade that will make alot of noise because my passengers hate noises lol.

Therefore, I just decided to upgrade my ecu to a rechipped p28 and will plan to go to a professional tuner. I will leave the internals as it is since finding a Y8 rocker assy./cams will take time.

Will give updates on this
Old 02-15-2021, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm from Philippines. Yes my civic doesn't have an o2 sensor and ended up adding a bung hole for it since i don't like an I/H/E upgrade that will make alot of noise because my passengers hate noises lol.

Therefore, I just decided to upgrade my ecu to a rechipped p28 and will plan to go to a professional tuner. I will leave the internals as it is since finding a Y8 rocker assy./cams will take time.

Will give updates on this
what area in the PH are you from? Have you already got an ecu?