Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Driving without a dyno tune?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Driving without a dyno tune?

I have a stock B20z CRX with a Go Auto Works turbo kit that I just finished. I posted in the WTB hoping to get someone to make me a base map. I have an AEM wideband and a boost gauge, I'm wondering if it is safe to hit boost with just a basemap and a wideband? I can watch the AFRs to make sure they don't go too lean, is there anything else I need to watch for? Just want to get all the bugs worked out before I take it and get it dyno tuned. I want to take it out and make sure everything is assembled and working correctly before I pay for dyno time. Let me know what you guys think, thanks!
Old 01-16-2018, 10:20 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Driving without a dyno tune?

Originally Posted by MastaFlyMason
I have a stock B20z CRX with a Go Auto Works turbo kit that I just finished. I posted in the WTB hoping to get someone to make me a base map. I have an AEM wideband and a boost gauge, I'm wondering if it is safe to hit boost with just a basemap and a wideband? I can watch the AFRs to make sure they don't go too lean, is there anything else I need to watch for? Just want to get all the bugs worked out before I take it and get it dyno tuned. I want to take it out and make sure everything is assembled and working correctly before I pay for dyno time. Let me know what you guys think, thanks!
looking at the AFR really means nothing even with the base map, because it is not even calibrated properly. that's not going to save you from any catastrophic failures of any kind.

What you can do is simply use the stock injectors, disconnect the intercooler charge pipe that connected to the intake manifold, Make sure that all the oil lines are run to the turbo so that it still is being oiled even while you drive, and head over to the tuner with your new injectors in which you can install them there at the location.

second possibility : have the base map run on the car that are specific to those injectors that you're using, and drive very slowly staying out of boost into you get to the tune location. If you just go above vacuum, more than likely you're going to be fine. Just do not think you can drive the car normally going into higher positive boost pressures, without something going wrong.

Or, if you even have the means, simply towl the car to the location of the tune.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I took a stock b20b basemap and changed the injector size to 1000cc just to make sure it was going to fire up. Am I safe to idle it like this to check for leaks and such? Any way I can test for boost leaks before I take it to the tuner?
Old 01-18-2018, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Would I be okay driving it very gently as well? I wanna take it around the block at least and feel everything out before I drive it to get tuned ($600 for just the tune).. Wanna make sure its running right before I take it
Old 01-18-2018, 02:17 PM

Would I be okay driving it very gently as well? I wanna take it around the block at least and feel everything out before I drive it to get tuned ($600 for just the tune).. Wanna make sure its running right before I take it
No. Millisecond injector time delays could be different between 1000cc precision, and Bosch style injectors. (You could wash out the piston rings. Damaging the engine). I would not drive around like that. You can check for leaks based on what I stated above
Old 01-18-2018, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
No. Millisecond injector time delays could be different between 1000cc precision, and Bosch style injectors. (You could wash out the piston rings. Damaging the engine). I would not drive around like that. You can check for leaks based on what I stated above
Ok thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it. I do have one last question I forgot to ask the tuner. I don't have a narrowband o2 hooked up but I do have an AEM wideband. I have the gauge hooked up but nothing else. Will they expect the gauge to be wired to the ECU or will it be OK as is? Do they need a narrowband for anything or can I leave it without one?
Old 01-18-2018, 02:23 PM

Ok thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it. I do have one last question I forgot to ask the tuner. I don't have a narrowband o2 hooked up but I do have an AEM wideband. I have the gauge hooked up but nothing else. Will they expect the gauge to be wired to the ECU or will it be OK as is? Do they need a narrowband for anything or can I leave it without one?
You need to ask your tuner what's ok. We can't answer their expectations.