Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Contemplating DIY Socketing a B20 ECU for a dynomometer tune session

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contemplating DIY Socketing a B20 ECU for a dynomometer tune session

1995 Civic EX coupe with JDM B20b block, LS intake (non-vtec), P75 Intake manifold, GSR 60mm TB, 240 cc injectors. LS manual transmission. I purchased the car five months ago and previous owner did all the swaps but, he never had it socketted and tuned. Engine supposedly has 70k miles, new a/c system, I de-powered the steering rack (removed rack seal), stock pinion gear.

I don't have any previous experience with ECU modding or dyno tuning and I'm not looking to have it tuned necissarily for hp and torque gains (though a benefit)..It seems to be running slightly lean and from info I've read online this is typical for my car's setup without a socketted ECU and dyno tune. The stock P75 ECU injects for a 1.8L and not for a 2.0L displacment. The tuner I spoke with said that with a proper ECU mod and dyno tune I can expect 130 whp and increased torque, it will get better gas mielage, engine will run smoother and in a stoichiometric state.

The person i spoke with said I can purchase an ECU through them, source my own, or DIY socket my own..he said don't chip it though. Seeking opinions on which way I should go and if I do go DIY which socket kit I should purchase? I have a good amount of soldering experience and would be comfortable attempting DIY.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts
Default re: Contemplating DIY Socketing a B20 ECU for a dynomometer tune session

Socketing a virgin ecu is pretty straightforward. Just make sure you find one of the guides at Moates.net or wherever, let it soak in, and then read it again. Hopefully you have a nice iron with a decently fine tip. I get most of my stuff from Moates.net, but have done business xenocron.com, hamotorsports.com and phearable.net as well, and can recommend any one of them.

The B20, even in its stock low compression form, responds well to a good tune. Find a decent tuner and make sure they are using a load bearing dyno, as opposed to a simpler inertial one. It's the difference between being able to properly tune the entire map (which is what you NEED for a street car) as opposed to only being able to really tune the WOT line. I'd also recommend that you step up to the plate and find a NepTune/Demon board or Hondata s300, it really is an investment for the long run if you want to be able to grow the engine in any way, or to have the ability to customize things to your liking.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Contemplating DIY Socketing a B20 ECU for a dynomometer tune session

Originally Posted by spAdam
Socketing a virgin ecu is pretty straightforward. Just make sure you find one of the guides at Moates.net or wherever, let it soak in, and then read it again. Hopefully you have a nice iron with a decently fine tip. I get most of my stuff from Moates.net, but have done business xenocron.com, hamotorsports.com and phearable.net as well, and can recommend any one of them.

The B20, even in its stock low compression form, responds well to a good tune. Find a decent tuner and make sure they are using a load bearing dyno, as opposed to a simpler inertial one. It's the difference between being able to properly tune the entire map (which is what you NEED for a street car) as opposed to only being able to really tune the WOT line. I'd also recommend that you step up to the plate and find a NepTune/Demon board or Hondata s300, it really is an investment for the long run if you want to be able to grow the engine in any way, or to have the ability to customize things to your liking.
Thanks for the great info. He stated the same concerning a Hondata s300 and said it would cost quite a bit more if want to go that route. He said he uses a company that sells refurbished boards and his labor plus part (ECU) is $225. Dyno tune is $300. I've seen refurbished EBay boards for around $125-$150 but not sure about those. The Mugen socket/chip kits for $10-$20. As I am not planning to add a Vtec head or boost I want to keep the expense minimal but willing to pay a bit more for better quality. Are there any mid-level companies you can recommend? Do you know why he told me socketed only and no chip? Would it need the other items shown in image?:
Old 07-26-2017, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hondata and NepTune ARE the mid-level options.

NepTune has a chip tune option for its dealers/certified tuners. Not sure is Hondata offers that at all. The only other option that I am aware of currently is CROME, and that platform is mediocre at best but will get you by if it's all you can muster.

Yes, you will need the other components in that picture. They are required for the chipped ecu to function and to enable datalogging. Tuning without data is just guessing.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hondata and NepTune ARE the mid-level options.

NepTune has a chip tune option for its dealers/certified tuners. Not sure is Hondata offers that at all. The only other option that I am aware of currently is CROME, and that platform is mediocre at best but will get you by if it's all you can muster. Yes, you will need the other components in that picture. They are required for the chipped ecu to function and to enable datalogging. Tuning without data is just guessing.
Thanks. I have to speak with the dyno shop again to be sure but I think since he told me socket only...they will install the chip as part of the tune. I'll ask him if they use Neptune, Crome or otherwise. Any experience with this company?: Socketed OBD1 Non-VTEC ECU|HA Motorsports

Last edited by Megalodong; 07-26-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I referenced them in my first reply to you. Your link is broken though.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I referenced them in my first reply to you. Your link is broken though.
OK. Thanks.