Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Engine Management and Tuning (https://honda-tech.com/forums/engine-management-tuning-124/)
-   -   B18 type r low idle, gas smell, horrible mpg, bogging! (https://honda-tech.com/forums/engine-management-tuning-124/b18-type-r-low-idle-gas-smell-horrible-mpg-bogging-3335214/)

pooleegt1991 03-23-2019 07:46 AM

B18 type r low idle, gas smell, horrible mpg, bogging!

Ok guys I need some help with my civic. Ive searched and searched and I can’t seem to find the specific problem I’m having.. I have a 2000 civic hatch with an obd2 Jdm type r swap. Hondata, headers, test pipe, skunk 2 intake manifold, intake, throttle body, fuel rail, walboro 255, and bigger injectors. So here’s the issue.. when I start the car, the idle is VERY low like barley running at all just sitting there shaking. Then it will do the normal cold idle at around 1100 or so rpms. There is smoke at start up and under full load. When the car warms up the idle will drop and fluctuate from say 4-600 rpms and sometimes almost die after pushing in the clutch coming to a stop. There is a very strong gas smell and I’m getting like 10mpg. It would bog down very badly for about 20 min and then clear itself up but now it stopped doing that for the most part. You couldn’t even push the pedal past a tap or it would bog all the way down until you let the pedal back up to just barley pressing it but would clear up and drive normal after about 20 min. But that issue seems to have subsided. Also the intake is making a louder than normal hissing noise like there’s a vac leak or something.. it will throw a check engine light every once and a while but a quick turn of the key will clear it and I have tried 3 code readers and none will connect to the car for some reason. The car does burn oil and seems like it leaks a little too. I have a turbo kit ready to put on and I will be doing a gasket reubuild before the fact but want to solve this issue prior to installing the turbo and tuning. I’ve checked the grounds and connections they all seem fine. From what I have read it looks like it could be a number of things, I’m just not sure where to start and don’t want to spend a fortune throwing parts at it! Any opinions experiences or instruction would be greatly appreciated!

motoxxxman 03-23-2019 10:42 PM

Re: B18 type r low idle, gas smell, horrible mpg, bogging!

Just to get it out of the way, you have one header. Not headers.

Sounds to me like you simply need a professional tune. Everything you described is the culprit of a garbage tune or no tune at all.

pooleegt1991 03-28-2019 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by motoxxxman (Post 51894725)
Just to get it out of the way, you have one header. Not headers.

Sounds to me like you simply need a professional tune. Everything you described is the culprit of a garbage tune or no tune at all.

ive had the car for like 8 months now and it was running perfectly I’m not sure where the guy I bought it from got it tuned.. but when I have the car running, if I unplug the iac, it turns off. If I unplug the tps, it turns right off. I checked for leaks and couldn’t find any. I unplugged the map sensor and the idle immediately smoothed out. Plugged it back in, still smooth.. could that mean I need a new sensor? I was also thinking of replacing the upstream o2 sensor to see if that helped. I did the cel trick with the wire and got one long blink immediately followed by a quick blink, pause, then 7 more blinks. Thanks for any help!

RGHTBrainDesign 03-28-2019 10:36 PM

Send me your Hondata Map to RGHTBrainDesign@Gmail.com and I'll try to help you out.

Cheers,

-Ryan

2x0 03-29-2019 02:48 AM

What version of Hondata? S300? V1, V2, V3? Is there a red light on the ecu by the usb port?

Sounds definitely like either your tune is corrupt or the Hondata is dying.

pooleegt1991 03-29-2019 04:02 PM

It’s an s300 not sure what version I’ll have to check it out. And both lights are green on it. I pulled the map and cleaned and it seems to be idling a lot better now and better mpg. I already ordered a new map, tps, upstream o2, and plugs just to be on the safe side. When the parts come in I’m going to do a good clean of everything. I bought a master rebuild kit with the gaskets and rings and what not to stop the burning oil/ leaking but I’m going to save that for when I can have time to do that, put the turbo on and get a good tune as it’s my daily for now so I don’t want to be driving it around with no tune until I save up for one. Do you think it will be safe to run my type r at 7lbs? Should I get anything else like arp studs for it as well? It’s making around 230-240 to the wheels right now I’m hoping to get to 300-350

pooleegt1991 03-29-2019 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by RGHTBrainDesign (Post 51899029)
Send me your Hondata Map to RGHTBrainDesign@Gmail.com and I'll try to help you out.

Cheers,

-Ryan

I’m not sure how to do that I don’t have a laptop just a desktop and my iPhone.. sorry I’m not too familliar with the hondata or tuning

motoxxxman 03-30-2019 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by pooleegt1991 (Post 51899776)
It’s an s300 not sure what version I’ll have to check it out.

Remove the cover from the ecu. look at the hondata board. Is it green (v1), red (v2), or white (v3)?

Originally Posted by pooleegt1991;51899776}
I pulled the map and cleaned...

You did WHAT???? NEVER SPRAY ANY CHEMICALS INSIDE A MAP SENSOR EVER!!!!

motoxxxman 03-30-2019 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by pooleegt1991 (Post 51898679)
.. but when I have the car running, if I unplug the iac, it turns off. If I unplug the tps, it turns right off. I checked for leaks and couldn’t find any. I unplugged the map sensor and the idle immediately smoothed out. Plugged it back in, still smooth.. could that mean I need a new sensor? I was also thinking of replacing the upstream o2 sensor to see if that helped.

Stop throwing parts at it and do some actual diagnosis, like the following:

Originally Posted by pooleegt1991;51898679}
I did the cel trick with the wire and got one long blink immediately followed by a quick blink, pause, then 7 more blinks. Thanks for any help!

code 7: TPS
code 11: faulty ECU.

either your ecu is fried, or the hondata is fried, or the map in the hondata is corrupt. My guess is the ecu itself is bad.

ShinsenTuner 03-30-2019 05:53 PM

What are the values in your sensor tables saying? Do they seem reasonable at idle? Is your current map tuned for your setup? Do you have a wideband?...... use the Hondata as a tool for troubleshooting, review your inputs and it should be very clear what the problem is.

JRCivic1 03-30-2019 09:17 PM

Code 7: The TPS could be damaged OR the min/max values could be outside of the acceptable parameters. OP, you either need to set these yourself or get to a tuner who can help.

Code 11: This is a Hondata only code for overheating. It is a protective code to limit the engine operation when a preset engine temp is reached... the default value is 212' F. Although your gauge needle will not move at all... this value can be reached and the computer will set the code. This value can be raised although this change does not solve the underlying issue as to why the engine gets this warm in the first place. Solve the codes first and see if your issues go away. If not, report back here and lets see what we can do to help.

pooleegt1991 04-07-2019 08:25 PM

Ok so I have an update. I ended up realizing the fan wasn’t coming on unless i jumped it at the fan switch. So I bought a fan switch, coolant temp sensor, thermostat along with a new map sensor, tps sensor, o2 sensor and spark plugs. Installed the map and tps the other day and the idle was steady at 8 or 900 rpm and smooth and the gas mileage went up! Then today I installed the fan switch temp sensor and thermostat. Filled it with coolant and started the car with the cap off. I waited a good 10 min until the gauge was at half way but the bottom hose was still cold and level didn’t drop so I called it and drove until my heat got warm. Added about 1/8-1/4 gallon of coolant. Have t noticed the fan still but the car is loud so if it was on I wouldn’t have heard it anyways. This time when I start it up and drive it starts doing the bogging/sputtering again except only when you are lightly on the gas. If you go mid or wot it acts fine. Drove it for a good 30 min get home and check under the hood. The hoses are both very hot and very tight/pressurized.. still no fan. I unplug the temp sensor and the fan comes on. Then it came on for 10 second intervals a few times while I was checking. The idle also went up to 1200 for a few seconds at stop during the drive. Could I have put the thermostat in slightly wrong? I put it in how the old one came out.. I’m pretty sure the hoses are supposed to be hot but not super tight like that! Also an update on the car, I figured out the ecu is an obd1 with v3 s300 hondata.. but has 2 o2 sensors like an OBD2 and the car is a 2000 cx hatch. Just got my md emissions paper in the mail I’m wondering how I’m gonna pass that since the ecu is obd1

RGHTBrainDesign 04-07-2019 11:11 PM

I never got your calibration.

What's ignition timing set at right now?

pooleegt1991 04-08-2019 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by RGHTBrainDesign (Post 51905283)
I never got your calibration.

What's ignition timing set at right now?

i haven’t the slightest clue.. how do I check that? I don’t have a laptop or anything to plug into the hondata

pooleegt1991 04-10-2019 06:54 AM

I installed the rest of the parts I had , plugs and o2 sensor, and just ran a jumper wire on a toggle switch for the fan so I can control it inside the car. Problem solved so far.. took it on a 2 hr drive yesterday and had no problems with overheating or bogging.. still need to grab some carb cleaner to check for a vac leak. The only thing it does which it has done from the beginning is sometimes half way through vtec the check engine light will come on and vtec sounds as if it’s only half running and I get a loss of power.. but when you turn the ignition off then back on it’s gone and drives fine.. anyone else had this issue? I As long as it stays running fine that’s how it’ll have to stay before i can get the rebuild kit before going turbo and getting a good tune. I don’t want to have to tune it now then again in a month when I put the turbo on

RGHTBrainDesign 04-10-2019 10:32 AM

Doesn't work right, so I'm going to throw a turbo on it...