Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Assistance needed: Installing Hondata on an ECU board. Ran into a problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Assistance needed: Installing Hondata on an ECU board. Ran into a problem

So i started desoldering IC4 to install my hondata and a track seems to have come out leading to one of the solders. What are my options at this point? Keep desoldering and see if it will work or stop and get another ecu?

second hole from the top right has a track that runs under ic9

so when I desoldered that hole the little track popped up with the braid and pulled out

Old 12-31-2018, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default re: Assistance needed: Installing Hondata on an ECU board. Ran into a problem

You could solder a piece of wire from that hole to where the trace terminates.
I have done it numerous times on guitar effect pedals.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Assistance needed: Installing Hondata on an ECU board. Ran into a problem

Issue is i cant see where it originates, its under the ic3 chip somwhere, not too far under but still im worried if i solder it in the hole and like glue the wire back into the track and install the Hondata and it doesnt work then im screwed
Old 01-02-2019, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: Assistance needed: Installing Hondata on an ECU board. Ran into a problem

It's junk. You got the board way to hot and messed it up. I used to have that problem before I bought a good powered hako 808 desoldering pump.

If you were using desoldering braid to remove the solder try it with a bit of flux on it, it soaks up the solder much better. Also make sure your soldering iron tip is clean and clean it consistently. Might as well practice as much as you can on that ecu before installing the s300 on another.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: Assistance needed: Installing Hondata on an ECU board. Ran into a problem

^x2

Practice removing components from this trashed ECU before you start on another. Make sure you have a good adjustable wattage soldering iron and get rid of the de-soldering braid and get yourself a solder pump.

You really don't need anything too fancy if you are only looking to do a few ECU's. I have done well over 100 ECU's using a simple mechanical pencil style vacuum.

The vacuum I use is a Nexxtech from The Source by Circuit City, Radio Shack, pictured below
The Iron I have been using for over 10 years is also a Nexxtech. It is a cheaper iron with variable wattage 5-60watt. Perfect for ECU's. I have never had to put it up over 15watts working on these ECU's when using a clean and properly tinned tip.

Here is an older picture of what I did to practice soldering and de-soldering

by GhostAccord, on Flickr
Old 01-03-2019, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So it still works in my car but I cant obviously continue with it to use with the Hondata. So im going to try again with my spare. I dont really plan on getting another iron but what is really easier pump or flux + braid? The problem I seem to have is some holes come out clean and some I get some solder that doesnt want to come out. My fault when I started this job though, I didnt tin my tip or clean off the board before starting.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

I tossed the braid and flux after an hour. Went out and bought the vacuum pencil and have never looked back. It's made easier if you can stand the ECU main board up on it's side, in a small table vice or clamp. Remove the bottom cover and heat the joint from the component side and suck from the other side. You will see when the solder becomes fluid. Once it bubbles you suck it.

Yeah it is key to clean off all of the clear coat from the area that you are soldering, both sides! I usually remove the main board from the aluminum ECU housing and spray the area to be worked on with carb cleaner and lightly scrub with a soft bristle tooth brush. Some may say that CC is a bit harsh to use, as compared to the overpriced off the shelf electronics coating cleaner, but I have never had an ECU Fail because I removed the coating with it. I ahve never looked into it but they are probably made up of the same chemicals.

Best of luck with your DIY project!
Old 01-08-2019, 03:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Why the heck did you desolder IC4 when it's needed for all chipped ECUs Hondata or not? Was it was bad? IC4 is not installed on virgen ECUs unless the ECU was factory chipped and the only reason to remove it is if you know it was bad. I don't understand...
Old 01-29-2019, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7rrivera7
Why the heck did you desolder IC4 when it's needed for all chipped ECUs Hondata or not? Was it was bad? IC4 is not installed on virgen ECUs unless the ECU was factory chipped and the only reason to remove it is if you know it was bad. I don't understand...
Looks like he was just trying to desolder to install the 74hc373 and got to hot and pulled the pad and trace....
Old 01-30-2019, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^this. Im working on getting a junk ECU to practice on before I attempt the install again on my other good ecu