Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Engine Machining & Assembly
Reload this Page >

What is the flatness limit of head and deck? Are resurfacing necesary?

What is the flatness limit of head and deck? Are resurfacing necesary?

Old 10-15-2018, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the flatness limit of head and deck? Are resurfacing necesary?

Hello,

I am thinking of taking apart of my junk yard found B20B. I am wondering what is the limit of the head and deck flatness. Are re-surfacing still necessary if they measured good?
Old 10-15-2018, 06:38 PM
Intelligently Stupid

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: What is the flatness limit of head and deck? Are resurfacing necesary?

How are you proposing to measure your "flatness"?

It's my understanding it's pretty expensive equipment required to measure the smoothness of a surface (RA value) which is the specification I think you are after.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What is the flatness limit of head and deck? Are resurfacing necesary?

Originally Posted by TomCat39 View Post
How are you proposing to measure your "flatness"?

It's my understanding it's pretty expensive equipment required to measure the smoothness of a surface (RA value) which is the specification I think you are after.
Yeah... Sorry for the bad terms i used. I am just gonna use a ruler and filler gauge to measure the gap... What is the limit ? one thousandth of an inch? So if it passes, I can skip re-surfacing, correct?
Old 10-15-2018, 06:45 PM
Intelligently Stupid

I don't know off hand what vehicle the B20B is found in, as such I can't see if I have the FSM manual to look up the warp specification.

You actually do want to know if the head/block is flat. And for that you can't just use a ruler, you need a precision straight edge.

I thought you were concerned about the surface smoothness which is important for head gaskets.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:00 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You’ll need an actual straight edge, not a ruler. You want something that is from Starrett, brown & sharp, etc. a ruler is not accurate enough.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:01 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

TomCat39 the b20b is out of a CRV. It SHOULD measure the same as a b18b, but I am not 100% sure.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:04 AM
Intelligently Stupid

Sorry for the delay. I just remembered about this....

This is from the 97-00 CRV FSM. It only displays one engine so does not identify it but I do assume it's the B20B in question:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: