The use of ls rod bearings instead of gsr rod bearings

Old 03-25-2018, 03:11 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The use of ls rod bearings instead of gsr rod bearings

im building a turboed b18c1 gsr motolr and i have some new ls b18b rod bearings is it ok to use the ls rod bearings because i see that my ls rods have a oil hole and the gsr rods do not and also i see that the gsr rods have notches in side of the rod so will i have any issues if i use the rod bearings that have the little hole for oil to come through even tho there is no hole in the rod
Old 03-25-2018, 11:43 AM

Default Re: can i use ls rod bearings instead of gsr rod bearings

Originally Posted by m88ulrich View Post
im building a turboed b18c1 gsr motolr and i have some new ls b18b rod bearings is it ok to use the ls rod bearings because i see that my ls rods have a oil hole and the gsr rods do not and also i see that the gsr rods have notches in side of the rod so will i have any issues if i use the rod bearings that have the little hole for oil to come through even tho there is no hole in the rod
All OEM bearings are the same. You must choose your bearings based upon the clearance of the crank shaft and rods (by either micrometer or plasti-guage). If you need a bearing chart for colored bearings there are interpolation charts available.

This will go to the engine assembly fourm
Old 03-26-2018, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The use of ls rod bearings instead of gsr rod bearings

Originally Posted by m88ulrich View Post
LS rod bearings are too wide for the gsr crank and gsr rods. If you are using a LS crank in your gsr block then yes, you want to us LS rod bearings.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: The use of ls rod bearings instead of gsr rod bearings

Originally Posted by ninesecrx View Post
LS rod bearings are too wide for the gsr crank and gsr rods. If you are using a LS crank in your gsr block then yes, you want to us LS rod bearings.
I stand by Ninesecrx on this, and have also confirmed as well

R-family crankshafts have their own bearings, rods, and crankshaft.
you need the correct bearings for the matching crank. same goes to rods as well.
____

this next part is speculation, but from my understanding, you can even swap in a GSR crank, rods, and bearings into a b20 for a de-stroked block, however, if you slap higher compression pistons in, instead of stock PHK, p8r, etc's you will have a much higher chance of NOT having piston to valve clearance issues as well, and a nicer stroke ratio..... from my understanding. obviously do your homework. thought i'd share that with you, as i was in the same boat a while back.
NO MATTER what you do, always get your clearances checked NO MATTER what a tuner will tell you works perfectly.... that tuners incorrect advice cost me a $5000 build, and now his *** is getting sued for incompetence / neglect / lack of due dilligence
Old 03-30-2018, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The use of ls rod bearings instead of gsr rod bearings

Main bearings are the same for ALL "B" series engines... B16A, B18A/B, B18C1/5 and B20B/Z. Rod bearings are a different story. The B18C1/5 rod bearing is narrower than all other "B" series rod bearings. The B16A, B18A/B and B20B/Z use bearings that are dimensionally similar, however, if the connecting rod used has a pin oiling channel, then using a bearing with the small oil hole in it will allow oil to flow through this channel. Many aftermarket rods do not have this provision, so choosing the LS style bearing is unnecessary. The B16A rod bearing is coated and is a superior bearing when compared to the stock LS rod bearing and I choose this bearing over the PR4 rod bearing when building an engine with aftermarket rods and pistons.