Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Engine Machining & Assembly (https://honda-tech.com/forums/engine-machining-assembly-164/)
-   -   Torque Data Error for Intermediate Shaft to Engine Block-Is it 29lbs-ft? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/engine-machining-assembly-164/torque-data-error-intermediate-shaft-engine-block-29lbs-ft-3315231/)

1990IntegraLS 02-18-2018 10:32 AM

Torque Data Error for Intermediate Shaft to Engine Block-Is it 29lbs-ft?

This is about torquing the intermediate shaft to the engine block. All the data suggests 29 Lb.Ft. I believe this is an error, carried over from the early Legends.

The early Legends had a Carrier Bearing mounted to the outside of the differential case, that was held on the case by three 10mm bolts torqued at 29 Lb.Fts.

I didn't look at Gen1 Integras, but the Gen2 and Gen3 have the same bearing pressed into the differential case, so the outside carrier bearing assembly was gone.

In every Acura and Honda and other manuals I could find, they show the three bolts mounting the intermediate shaft onto the back of the block torqued at 29 Lb.Ft., but they also show those three bolts as being 10mm. That is incorrect.

The three bolts are actually 14mm.
I believe the data was mistakenly carried over from the Legend carrier bearing assembly.
Every other 14mm bolt on the differential has a much higher torque.

I spent several hours researching everywhere, and at least 6 Acura/Honda forums. One guy set his to 29 Lb.Ft and they came out. Many just used an impact wrench for these bolts and had no idea what torque to use.

Any opinions are welcome.

JRCivic1 02-18-2018 08:21 PM

Re: Torque Data Error for Intermediate Shaft to Engine Block-Is it 29lbs-ft?

40 ft/lbs. for "B", "H", or "K" series intermediate shafts.

1990IntegraLS 02-19-2018 07:30 AM

Great, Thanks!

.....but what is the source of your data please?

JRCivic1 02-19-2018 09:59 PM

Factory Helm Inc. service manual.

1990IntegraLS 02-20-2018 12:05 PM

I did not like that a moderator moved my post here and added the question to the title to my post. I had put it in Tech/Misc, and I had no question that the correct torque was NOT 29 Lb.Ft.

That being said....thanks for the info! I had set it to 40 by instinct, and I wanted to put it back together. I knew I could put it back up on stands and correct it if need be.

It turns out that my Haynes manual states 42 Lb.Ft. I rarely look there because I have the original Acura Service Manual for this '90 Integra. Generally that's all I look at.

Everything turned out good, smooth, etc. I found a small leak, but it turned out to be the Trans' fill plug. It just needed a new washer. I also did the wheel bearings, lower ball joint and a new set of OEM upper control arms. I purchased those things when I bought the car. I knew I'd need them. I also have the OEM bushings for the lower control arm, which I'll be doing in a couple months.

I bought a lot of OEM stuff when I bought the car 5 years ago, out of concern Acura would not continue making them. I was right to do so.