Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Engine Machining & Assembly (https://honda-tech.com/forums/engine-machining-assembly-164/)
-   -   Think this is the right section 🤔 (https://honda-tech.com/forums/engine-machining-assembly-164/think-right-section-3314166/)

2j_macrae_z 01-26-2018 02:44 AM

Think this is the right section 🤔

Long time lurker first time poster.

Hi everyone my name is Cody and I have a Honda problem (feels like I'm in AA hahaha) growing up I was a huge ricer I loved body kits, under glow, Lambo doors, you name it I wanted it. But life took a change and I got into lifted trucks and bogging.

Now I moved and I have no friends who are into the truck scene in my new town and I find myself falling into the car scene again. However I am more go than show now lol but heres where I need some help..

I am looking for a engine to just play around with and build (I don't have the space for a car right now) so I put an ad out and someone got a hold of me with a H22a4, everything is there minus a valve cover for $50.

My concern is I've never torn apart and rebuilt an engine, would it be stupid of me to get into a project like this? I'm mechanically inclined, I've helped build circle track cars, installed lift kits, solid axle swaps, ect..

So what is all your opinion? Thanks ��

TomCat39 01-26-2018 07:54 AM

Re: Think this is the right section 🤔

Here is a couple of items you should be aware of....

First is on engine rebuilding, you will be investing around a grand on tools alone to measure and rebuild properly. You can likely get in for around 500 but you are risking getting not so good knock offs etc of which you would be questioning your measuring results.

Then the other thing is regarding the H series motor. Honda used FRM (Fiber Reinforced Metal) sleeves on most of these motors (maybe all?). They take special equipment to bore and hone and not every machine shop is aware or have the equipment to do the job. Very easy for a machine shop to screw up the block if they don't know.

On the tools, you are looking at about 150 for a decent micrometer set with 10,000th inch reading, 150-300 on a decent 10,000th inch 6 inch bore gauge (can go way higher cost on this tool), 300 for a setting standard for the bore gauge, 200-500 on other misc tools like dial indicators, degree wheels, magnetic bases for dial indicators, ringer grinders, feeler gauges, valve lapping tools and compounds, angle seat cutters, valve spring/keeper compressors/installers/removers etc.

2j_macrae_z 01-26-2018 03:43 PM

For the tools I "should" be okay because I'm a c ticket welder and have quite a few tools kicking around.

By no means am I going to rush and buy a shit ton of parts gonna do a little here and a little there.. Just need something to keep my mind and hands busy. My main goal is to just have a fun fast car to drive around in the twisties and giver lol

TomCat39 01-28-2018 09:16 PM

Being a welder do you have micrometers, bore gauges and precision straight edge just to name a few?

You need to be able to measure things in the .0001" range. Bores, journals, bearings, pistons etc.

2j_macrae_z 01-29-2018 04:36 AM

Personally.. No i dont have those tools but my work definitely has them and I can borrow whatever I want for a weekend. If work doesn't do it I can just ask my buddy who is a reseal machinist who would definitely has whatever tools i would need