Notices

Sleeved GSR Block Manley Rods Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sleeved GSR Block Manley Rods Question

Hey All! New to the forum, used the search function and google and didnt come up with anything. Heres the low-down. Just recieved my sleeved GSR block from Benson (excellent guy to work with) along with my Manley Turbo Tuff rods and CP pistons. He did all of the finish machining for me but i chose to put the motor together myself, as I have built several motors but this is my first Honda. I ain't skeered. Heres my dilemma, got my bearing clearances set on the crank, then pulled the girdle off for piston/rod installation and my rods wont fit down the bore. This is a 81mm sleeve and standard length manley rods. Has anyone ever experienced this? Please don't hate on me for asking such a silly question but I did state to him that this was my first honda build and was in the dark with what worked well together, and from previous sleeving experience i opted for stock bore just to have room to grow if need be later. And he said it was a wise decision. If its a common problem, I wonder why this wasnt checked before he sent the block out? I mean, I understand I took on the task of putting it together myself, BUT I run an automotive shop that does a lot of custom wheel/tire packages, and if a customer comes in and says they want a 35" tire on their stock chevy 1500, im going to let them no it wont fit. Maybe im ranting but i'm out a lot of money at this point and cant move forward. And yes I have emailed and called but havent heard back YET. Just looking for some input if this is a common issue or not. BTW the rods only hit on the "flared out" portion of the big end. Thanks for any input!
Old 10-28-2017, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default Re: Sleeved GSR Block Manley Rods Question

I have never seen a brand name steel rod make contact with the saddle of a "B" series block. Does it look like the bottom of the sleeve is sticking down below the saddle itself ??? Are you using a stroker kit ???
Old 10-29-2017, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey JR thanks for the reply. I think I may have not explained well. The rod won't fit down the hole period. It's hitting the deck of the sleeve if that makes sense. Hopefully this picture will load for reference. No form of jimmying it will get it in I can start it at and angle but the big end of the rod won't clear the bottom of the sleeve early enough for me to center the piston in the hole, again if that makes sense lol
Old 10-30-2017, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just wanted to give an update if anyone else is experiencing this issue. I talked to Manley today, and my engine builder. Apparently this year they changed the turbo tuff rods around a bit and updated a few things. Whether they wanted to admit it or not I believe it is a design flaw. Putting the dimensional data in my own CAD software shows that the big end of the rod is in fact too big to fit in a standard bore engine. And they suggested I just belt sand enough off of each corner thats too wide that they fit the bore, ensuring me this wouldnt cause any harm to the integrity of the rod! On with the build!
Old 10-30-2017, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have never seen this before. Since you have spoken directly with Manley about this issue... it sounds like you have a decision to make.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

if you sand the edges, you will want to do it while balancing the rods. I would not just go removing material until it fits and call it a day, it'll throw the balance off pretty far
Old 10-31-2017, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motoxxxman
if you sand the edges, you will want to do it while balancing the rods. I would not just go removing material until it fits and call it a day, it'll throw the balance off pretty far
According to Dan of Benson racing, it wasnt enough to be of concern of any balance issues, I had thought that it would be so I contacted him first. Less than half a gram was removed from each and I kept them all the same amount of material removal so I think it will be fine. Just took the extra step to make sure they weighed the same even though he reassured me it would not be enough to make any differences. He said and I quote, "If this motor were at my shop for installation, I would hit them with a belt sander put them in and never think about it again." Hes been doing it long enough to know whether or not it would make a difference but I still wanted a little peace putting this thing together.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
I have never seen this before. Since you have spoken directly with Manley about this issue... it sounds like you have a decision to make.
What decision?
Old 10-31-2017, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To modify the rods you have or replace them with another brand. By sanding on them, it appears you have made the decision already.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I might be an idiot for saying that but....I believe that you have already tried to Install the piston-rod set from below and saw that the rod is hitting the lower cylinder.... If yes it is better to modify the lower deck of the cyllinder than the rod. There must be at least 2 mm clearence between the rod and the block.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbomaniac
I might be an idiot for saying that but....I believe that you have already tried to Install the piston-rod set from below and saw that the rod is hitting the lower cylinder.... If yes it is better to modify the lower deck of the cyllinder than the rod. There must be at least 2 mm clearence between the rod and the block.
I did think of this, but the piston diameter is bigger than the spacing between the mains. So it was a no go. Rods have been clearanced and installed.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

I didn't know Dan was still doing sleeves. That's awesome, he does absolutely top notch work.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
I didn't know Dan was still doing sleeves. That's awesome, he does absolutely top notch work.
Yea, im super happy with his work. Very friendly guy and very knowledgeable. This was his first encounter with the problem I had but had a quick solution. His work is 10/10