Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Engine Machining & Assembly (https://honda-tech.com/forums/engine-machining-assembly-164/)
-   -   RockAuto "Re-Ring" Kit...DOES IT SUCK? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/engine-machining-assembly-164/rockauto-re-ring-kit-does-suck-3337375/)

Dilbones 05-27-2019 04:54 PM

RockAuto "Re-Ring" Kit...DOES IT SUCK?

Hello all,

I recently received a free B18B1 from a friend with ~200k miles on it.

I will be opening it up and blueprinting it/performing visual inspections, however I was curious about your experiences with the RockAuto "Re-Ring kits." These kits come with all gaskets needed to rebuild a motor along with journal bearings and piston rings.

Part numbers and MFRs are located below:

$100-- ENGINETECHRMAC18P
$216-- SEALED POWER2056874M

This engine will be in a road racing car, but it will remain completely stock except for intake and exhaust.

Assuming the blueprint specs check out, what are your opinions on these kits?

Any evidence-based comments are appreciated.

Thanks all.

Caoboy 05-27-2019 08:52 PM

Re: RockAuto "Re-Ring" Kit...DOES IT SUCK?

You'll need to mic the cylinder bores and the crank shaft and mains and rods to know if you need to home or bore the cylinders, and what size bearings you would need for replacement.

Therefore, it would be best to not buy an off the shelf kit as you would possibly just be putting it on your own shelf to look at if they are deemed useless.

Dilbones 05-28-2019 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Caoboy (Post 51939123)
You'll need to mic the cylinder bores and the crank shaft and mains and rods to know if you need to home or bore the cylinders, and what size bearings you would need for replacement.

Therefore, it would be best to not buy an off the shelf kit as you would possibly just be putting it on your own shelf to look at if they are deemed useless.

Most non-VTEC motors I've disassembled have not required machining per the FSM guidelines after my blueprinting them.

One caveat I should have added at the beginning of this post was "ASSUMING BLUEPRINT CHECKS OUT FINE."

Thanks for pointing that out Caoboy :thumbup:

I'll go edit it.

motoxxxman 05-28-2019 08:59 PM

EngineTech is low quality. Very low quality.
Sealed Power is good.

Ryanthegreat1 05-29-2019 09:11 AM

At that mileage it probably needs valve guides. All wallered out loosey goosy burning oil and dumping it on your bumper.

Dilbones 05-29-2019 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by motoxxxman (Post 51939934)
EngineTech is low quality. Very low quality.
Sealed Power is good.

Thank you for the reply motox! Do you mind elaborating on what you've seen/experienced/heard regarding the two brands?

At that mileage it probably needs valve guides. All wallered out loosey goosy burning oil and dumping it on your bumper.
You don't think "new seals and send it" is a good approach?