Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Engine Machining & Assembly (https://honda-tech.com/forums/engine-machining-assembly-164/)
-   -   Is a ridge reamer really necessary? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/engine-machining-assembly-164/ridge-reamer-really-necessary-563480/)

ringgold 07-14-2003 11:02 PM

Is a ridge reamer really necessary?

Im currently tearing my engine down. Im at the point of where I can remove the rods and pistons. Do I really need a ridge reamer to remove that small little lip at the top of the cylinders to remove the rods and pistons? Im not going to be using the stock pistons so does it matter? Im also gonna be getting the cylinders bored atleast .020 over. So is it really necessary?

Suprdave 07-14-2003 11:07 PM

Re: Is a ridge reamer really necessary? (ringgold)

Are you talking about Chamfering the Cylinders?

Use a file and barely take material off...Your just removing the sharp edge. Or have the machine shop do it...but they are just gonna use a file too.

Suprdave

wHOAlly 07-15-2003 12:23 AM

Re: Is a ridge reamer really necessary? (Suprdave)

hes talkin about the ridge that forms because of carbon build up when your pulling the pistons

IN VTEC 07-15-2003 08:09 AM

Not necessary unless you find it exceedingly difficult to push the piston out of the bore.

ringgold 07-15-2003 09:49 AM

Re: Is a ridge reamer really necessary? (IN VTEC)

Yeah what I was talking about is the little ridge that is made form carbon and what not at the top of the cylinder. I didnt want to try to puch the piston out and have it getting stuck or something if you know what Im saying. I guess I will try just pushing the pistons and rods out tonight.

IN VTEC 07-15-2003 10:36 AM

The ridge is thick enough to catch a nail, but the rings shouldn't be hindered by it.

I had 75k miles on my motor when the pistons came out. They didn't have any problems popping out.

ringgold 07-15-2003 10:58 AM

Re: Is a ridge reamer really necessary? (IN VTEC)

My engine had 136k on it but the ridge doesnt seem to bad not to the point where the pistons shouldnt slide out.

3rdGteg 07-16-2003 11:12 PM

you should be okay since ur reboring and using new pistons/rings anyways. if u was to reuse the pistons, the ridge can damage the ring grooves on the pistons if the ridge is too big, but ur not, so u should be fine.....

ringgold 07-16-2003 11:21 PM

Re: Is a ridge reamer really necessary? (3rdGteg)

Yeah I just pulled the rods and pistons from my block they came out no problem. Thanks for the info anyways fellas.

THATGUY705 05-27-2019 01:39 PM

Re: Is a ridge reamer really necessary?

Hey guys my h22 has a very slight ridge. You can feel it with your fingernail but it doesn't stop your fingernail from running through. I'm wondering if it's necessary to remove it for the new rings I'm putting in. It will not damage anything going on or coming out but will it damage the rings upon start up or in the future? Thanks