Notices

B16 head repairable? Deep pit and dent along combustion chamber

Old 02-23-2017, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default B16 head repairable? Deep pit and dent along combustion chamber

I have a spare b16 head that I was planning to use on a upcoming build. While lapping it some new valves I noticed three things that makes me question if I can even use this head. 1. a crack or scratch, unsure which one it is, where the valve seat rests 2. a deep pit in cylinder number one 3. a dent on the edge of the combustion chamber. This head is going on 83 mm block and will be pushing 500 hp. The dent makes me think the head gasket may fail, scratch may be a cracked head and pit may cause detonation. I was wanting to avoid sending the head out to shop but will do what is necessary. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Attached Images    
Old 02-24-2017, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16 head repairable? Deep pit and dent along combustion chamber

Im sure I can mill the head and get rid of that dent but I am still concerned with that deep pit in cylinder 1's combustion chamber. What would be the best way to possible fix that?
Old 02-24-2017, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So from researching a little more, I learned that if I get rid of the sharp edges around that deep gouge that the hole will fill with carbon pretty quick and it wont be an issue. So two of my concerns are taken care of but I would still like to see if anyone's head cracked along the valve bowl area.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:45 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 561 Likes on 480 Posts

How do you tell if it's a crack or a casting flaw?

I'd almost think your head had lots of casting flaws and it was put to use anyway.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=TomCat39;51212038]How do you tell if it's a crack or a casting flaw?

Im unsure. Its really hard to tell, even in person. Ive been reading more and more and people have been running their cracked heads, ellegedly, with no issues even up to 900hp. The cracks I saw were between the spark plug hole and the valve seat. Im going to give it ago and see what happens, maybe the machine shop im going to get it milled at will give me their 2 cents. Here is another pic of it.
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2017, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

1) that's definitely a crack, and I don't like it. I would shop around and see who can replace the valve seat for you the PROPER way, and with the correct alloy seat.
2) the giant pit will not fill with carbon, it will only get worse and possibly break apart more which can and usually will destroy pistons and valves as more pieces fall off. talk to your machine shop and ask who they recommend for welding repairs to heads. a regular welder can not be used, it needs to be someone who specializes in welding alum heads.
3) hard to tell how deep the dent is, it may or may not be able to be gotten rid of by shaving the head. it may not matter though if it's still inside the sealing area of the hg you use.

4) somebody has majorly reworked those combustion chambers, and they did a terrible job. possibly even caused the giant chunk missing.

personally there is nothing about that head I like. it'll take a good amount of money and lots of time to get it reconditioned back to where it can be reliable for a high hp build. and it probably isn't worth it. It'd most likely be cheaper, and definitely easier to just buy another unmodified and undamaged head.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motoxxxman
1) that's definitely a crack, and I don't like it. I would shop around and see who can replace the valve seat for you the PROPER way, and with the correct alloy seat.
2) the giant pit will not fill with carbon, it will only get worse and possibly break apart more which can and usually will destroy pistons and valves as more pieces fall off. talk to your machine shop and ask who they recommend for welding repairs to heads. a regular welder can not be used, it needs to be someone who specializes in welding alum heads.
3) hard to tell how deep the dent is, it may or may not be able to be gotten rid of by shaving the head. it may not matter though if it's still inside the sealing area of the hg you use.

4) somebody has majorly reworked those combustion chambers, and they did a terrible job. possibly even caused the giant chunk missing.

personally there is nothing about that head I like. it'll take a good amount of money and lots of time to get it reconditioned back to where it can be reliable for a high hp build. and it probably isn't worth it. It'd most likely be cheaper, and definitely easier to just buy another unmodified and undamaged head.
Personally, there is nothing I like about this head either ha. Thank you for your input, it helped me make my mind up. Luckily, I have a extra b16 head just sitting in my garage. Ill just get that one finished up and ready for install.