Notices

Is it necessary to re-degree camshafts after changing cylinder heads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it necessary to re-degree camshafts after changing cylinder heads?

So I am swapping a new head on to my motor. It’s the same head as before just got it resurfaced and put a new valvetrain in. I am still going to use the same cams. Would I still have to degree the cams once everything is installed?
Old 01-31-2018, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Re: Degreeing Cams

How much was taken off of the head?

probably not worth worrying about it it was just a "resurface until it cleans up" kind of job. I'm assuming it was just "flattened up" not "milled" to significantly increase compression.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:12 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Degreeing Cams

That depends on what kind of cans that you have. If you have OEM camshafts, then there is a less likelihood that you have to degree anything. Reset ignition timing, valve lash the valve train to the camshafts.

otherwise, please re-degree the camshafts.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it necessary to re-degree camshafts after changing cylinder heads?

It was not milled still oem size. I just had the the face resurfaced. I have type r cams which were in my other head. My old b16 head cracked so I got another one w and put all supertech valvetrain. So I’m curious to if these cams would even need to be degreed. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it necessary to re-degree camshafts after changing cylinder heads?

Originally Posted by boostedblue23
It was not milled still oem size. I just had the the face resurfaced. I have type r cams which were in my other head. My old b16 head cracked so I got another one w and put all supertech valvetrain. So I’m curious to if these cams would even need to be degreed. Thanks.
the deck of the head was resurfaced.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:02 AM

If that's the case. The SAFE course is to actually degree them. But since they are an OEM ITR, it's more than likely not necessary, unless the pistons have changed. But again, if you can, take the safer route.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What can be consequences if I do not re degree them?
Old 01-31-2018, 09:13 AM

What can be consequences if I do not re degree them?
In your particular situation, nothing really, unless (again) you've changed an area that would greatly vary your Piston-to-Valve clearances, like pistons or flat-top valves. Since it is an OEM camshaft, degreeing really isn't that necessary, even with a Type R. They're special, but not that special.

But I'm overly conservative. If you have the means, equipment and know-how, sure. But for an OEM cam, meh.. not all that necessary. But I'm just telling you my perspective from my experience, nothing more. I can't tell you what you should or shouldn't do.. I can only suggest based upon the information you reveal to us.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
In your particular situation, nothing really, unless (again) you've changed an area that would greatly vary your Piston-to-Valve clearances, like pistons or flat-top valves. Since it is an OEM camshaft, degreeing really isn't that necessary, even with a Type R. They're special, but not that special.

But I'm overly conservative. If you have the means, equipment and know-how, sure. But for an OEM cam, meh.. not all that necessary. But I'm just telling you my perspective from my experience, nothing more. I can't tell you what you should or shouldn't do.. I can only suggest based upon the information you reveal to us.
I’m probably not going to do it but is there a thread or can you point me somewhere to look how to do it?
Old 01-31-2018, 09:51 AM

I’m probably not going to do it but is there a thread or can you point me somewhere to look how to do it?
Heh. This place stopped doing How-tos and real information years ago, sadly, in the face of "wanting to stay current" with nonsense thread topics and sections (Seen GDD lately? ), vague questions with no real solution, and of course, Photobucket screwing up YEARS of step-by-step instructional photos and videos by wanting $300-$400 from everyone now.,

There's always Eric the Car guy.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Heh. This place stopped doing How-tos and real information years ago, sadly, in the face of "wanting to stay current" with nonsense thread topics and sections (Seen GDD lately? )
^ True. Ask a tech question, get a few replies. Ask if Trump's pubic hair is orange, get a thousand replies...