Notices

H series and F series oil pump priming?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 H series and F series oil pump priming?

Hey need some advice about, obviously, h/f series oil pumps. I have a freshly build G23 build. For those who may not know, its essentially a f23 block from an accord mated with a H22 cylinder head from a prelude. Now i got the motor running and everything was well lubricated with assembly lube before hand, BUT i turned it off seconds after its first breaths because i wasnt getting any oil pressure. So i first checked the top end and there was no oil to be found in the main galley. I then removed my oil filter and it was bone dry. So i knew i had to remove the oil pump. After dropping the pan and etc.. i had my hands on the pump and nothing seemed broken, everything turned coorectly but i know it wasnt working, so i bought another oil pump from my work and will be installing it later this week.

Now my question is this:
Is there a procedure/steps, to follow before cranking the motor to ensure the oil pump works? im not talking about the normal cranking the motor with no ignition, and spark plugs removed. i mean priming the pump itself? theres a allen screw on the pump that faces the firewall and iev read to pour oil into here before cranking. Does anyone have some insight or knowledge of this. any help is appreciated and i will be more than happy to accept the forums opionions and help on this. Thank you in advance.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: H series and F series oil pump priming?

It seems like I remember someone here having a similar problem and it turned out to be something to do with the oil pickup and pan combo. The pickup was too close to the pan and wouldn't allow oil to get sucked up. Can't remember what pan and pickup was the right combo.

Usually after 30 seconds or so of cranking the engine (plugs out, fuel pump disabled, and battery charger connected), you should see some type of oil pressure.
I've also used an airgun to slightly pressurize the crankcase to help push oil up into the oil pickup. You have to block off the pcv valve and all crank ventilation lines though first obviously.
But I'd check the pickup to pan clearance first.
Good luck.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: H series and F series oil pump priming?

Search for "gold lude ray" here on HT. He posted a thread with the exact same problem. Turned out to be the h22 pan was too shallow and blocking the pickup. He swapped in an f series pan and problem solved.
Google search " honda tech g23 oil pressure" and you should see the referenced thread.