Gsr Block with B18B crank timing.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Gsr Block with B18B crank timing.

Hello guys, I'm sure this subject has been covered numerous times. I've done alot of research and tried every possible recommended method for the past 3 days. I'm installing a new timing belt, put the belt on with all the marks perfectly lined up. I tighten the tensioner and the crank gear moves counter clockwise a little. No matter how far off I set it or if I leave it exactly at TDC. It never falls exactly at the mark. Only a few degrees off. Now I'm not sure if the head I have has been resurfaced. The head was on my gsr block which had a gsr crank. This new css block has an LS crank. Could the timing mark's be off because of the crank. I used an extension in the #1 cylinder to verify tdc and the camshaft marks always line up correctly. The problem is the crank gear moving counter clockwise each time I tighten the tensioner. I attached pictures. Any input will help. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gsr Block with B18B crank timing.

Originally Posted by Excusetobooost View Post

Hello guys, I'm sure this subject has been covered numerous times. I've done alot of research and tried every possible recommended method for the past 3 days. I'm installing a new timing belt, put the belt on with all the marks perfectly lined up. I tighten the tensioner and the crank gear moves counter clockwise a little. No matter how far off I set it or if I leave it exactly at TDC. It never falls exactly at the mark. Only a few degrees off. Now I'm not sure if the head I have has been resurfaced. The head was on my gsr block which had a gsr crank. This new css block has an LS crank. Could the timing mark's be off because of the crank. I used an extension in the #1 cylinder to verify tdc and the camshaft marks always line up correctly. The problem is the crank gear moving counter clockwise each time I tighten the tensioner. I attached pictures. Any input will help. Thanks.
Just wanted to add that the water pump, belt and tensioner are all brand new B18C1 parts.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your issue is that your block was decked by CSS when that process was done and thus, your crank TDC mark will be slightly retarded... and from the looks of your photos, it appears just about perfect (assuming that the cam gear timing marks are in fact pointing toward each other in the window of your cam gear fixture - I cannot see the marks in your first pic).
Old 04-30-2019, 02:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 View Post
Your issue is that your block was decked by CSS when that process was done and thus, your crank TDC mark will be slightly retarded... and from the looks of your photos, it appears just about perfect (assuming that the cam gear timing marks are in fact pointing toward each other in the window of your cam gear fixture - I cannot see the marks in your first pic).
Wow yes very true. Thank you soo much I've spent a lot of time trying to figure this out. Yes the cam gear Mark's are pointing towards each other. Now I can move on and get this project together.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: