Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Engine Machining & Assembly (https://honda-tech.com/forums/engine-machining-assembly-164/)
-   -   Father/son B16 build specs and questions (https://honda-tech.com/forums/engine-machining-assembly-164/father-son-b16-build-specs-questions-3328564/)

craigmel13 10-08-2018 04:22 PM

Father/son B16 build specs and questions

First off, thank you for your interest in my post! As the title states, my 16 yr old son and I are trying to build memories by working on a project together!

Disclaimer: This is my very first Honda build when it comes to motors. I owned 3 different CRX’s in my teen years and did all my own wrenching, just never got into heart surgery on one. I always wanted to soup up my stuff when I was young, but I was broke! At times I collected pop cans on the side of the highway just to take my girlfriend to the movies! Years have passed and I got a little extra money to spend now. Plus, I also have a son who is into cars big time. He has a lot to learn yet, but so do I, the ambition is there! This will be some fun bonding for sure!

We have collected quite a bit of power train stuff. I will detail what we have thus far.

I will have many questions as the build progresses. Just really want to tackle the engine assembly part at this point. Engine was disassembled by myself.The block and bottom end is currently at the machine shop.

Please review the build components I have and let me know of any concerns you would have if any. I am aware that the combination of what I have collected may not be ideal, but it’s what I currently have to work with. Hopefully I got enough to make a potent little build.

Goal: 250+ hp

Purpose: AutoX events and raising hell on the streets (not a daily driver)

Car: 1992 Civic SI hatch, gutted with a 10pt cage (ex drag car)

Trans: B16

Engine: B16A3

Fuel: I have access to E85, 91, 93

ECU:HA Motorsports P28 vtec and a socketed P06 (will go other routes here if the need exists)

Turbo: Greddy TD-05H 18G kit (at gpopshop for inspection)

Intake:S2 Pro series, S2 Alpha 70mm throttle body (will buy whatever suits the build best if needed)

Head: PR3-2 head, S2 LMA’s, Supertech black nitrided flat face valves, Supertech dual valve springs with titanium retainers, S2 Pro 1 cams and gears, ARP head studs

Internals: Stock crank, S2 Alpha rods, no pistons (more on that later, block needs bored)

The machine shop called today and informed me that my bores had too much taper and need re-bored. He is thinking it may take 82mm to clean it up. He said 81.5mm may get it if bores are straight.

My current questions:
Any concerns with any combinations above?

Do you think this combination can yield our desired hp?

82mm too big for forced induction goals such as mine on stock sleeve? I don’t foresee a bigger turbo in the future.

What pistons would you recommend for this application if 82mm is ok?

Thanks again for taking the time to read my post! I look forward to learning!

Craig

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...d575bad6e.jpeg

Chance EG 10-08-2018 07:23 PM

Re: Father/son B16 build specs and questions

Sounds like a good plan so far. I'd avoid getting an Si model however if possible, VX/CX/DX models will all weigh a little less in stock form and even once gutted.

Parts list looks good for the most part (notes below), 18G turbo should be able to hit your power goal. 82mm is acceptable, but if you can get away with 81.5 then I'd do that, just to leave a bit of meat on the stock sleeves.

Skunk2 Pro 1 cams are severely over-sized for the turbo and power goals you have. If you don't already have the OEM B16 cams, then GSR or ITR/CTR cams would work great. Skunk2 Tuner 1's would also be acceptable. However, if you have a good set of B16 cams already then I wouldn't bother changing them out for your goals.

I'd stick with 91/93 octane for your goals, E85 would be nice but adds a layer of cost and complexity that I don't think is necessary for this build.