Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Engine Machining & Assembly (https://honda-tech.com/forums/engine-machining-assembly-164/)
-   -   Evergreen stock rebuild kits? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/engine-machining-assembly-164/evergreen-stock-rebuild-kits-3310288/)

GoldieWang 11-08-2017 03:59 PM

Evergreen stock rebuild kits?

Hey guys I have came across a decent low miles 1996 ex coupe from a friend for 500 bucks. No rust, no body damage but a spun main bearing. Sooo, I have been looking for a rebuild kit and cant find a distributor that has pieced together an oem kit. I don't even know if half the oem stuff is still produced. I have done some research on rebuild kits but I am still skeptical. From what I have found, I prefer Evergreen rebuild kits and have learned that I will still need a MLS head gasket, vtec solenoid gasket, an oem oil pump and a oring for the oil control piece in the valve train.

I am going to be honest here. I would rather do 100 percent oem parts overhaul. But could I get some opinions and maybe so experiences with rebuild kits? I haven't read anything bad about evergreen besides the missing pieces and a MLS headgasket but I am skeptical. I have read that king bearings are good components so that's a plus but I won't be ordering anything until the machine shop gives me a break down on what I need. The crank is scratched pretty bad from the spun bearing but I am going to see if I can get by with having the crank turned and over sized bearings.

GoldieWang 11-08-2017 04:04 PM

Re: Evergreen stock rebuild kits?

I should add that if I could find a good running D16y8 I would gladly pick it up and drop it in this car asap but I have had a tough time finding one. its a dying breed so go figure lol.

ShinsenTuner 11-08-2017 04:34 PM

I just pieced it all together from Majestic Honda's website. Big list but worth it. If budgeting is an issue, Cometic does offer a decent rebuild kit.

GoldieWang 11-08-2017 08:36 PM

You wouldn't by chance have a parts list of what you bought would you? Id be lying if I said ive rebuilt a car engine before so I'm kinda lost. Built plenty of dirt bikes though.

ShinsenTuner 11-10-2017 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by GoldieWang (Post 51472202)
You wouldn't by chance have a parts list of what you bought would you? Id be lying if I said ive rebuilt a car engine before so I'm kinda lost. Built plenty of dirt bikes though.

My part numbers and parts were intended for my B20VTEC motor :) so it wouldn't really apply to your D16Y8 rebuild.

However, best way to start is just go onto the website and look. It's very straight forward as they're all listed as what is hardware or gaskets.

Doodasi 11-14-2017 07:05 PM

I just did this to a 97 ex. Now I'm posessed by the damn thing. I just built a mini me. D16y7's are cheap. Put your y8 head on it, and stick it back in there. You will have to clean a couple unused thread holes. That's about it. The one I got had more wear than i liked, so i did a re-ring.

weekendboost 11-17-2017 07:13 PM

If you need a part list just go around searching for rebuild kits for your d16 and write down everything that's supplied in the kit then go source them from Honda or wherever. I had one of those rebuild kits and the oil pan gasket isn't very good so I would suggest looking else where. It was too soft and started crushing before being torqued. A couple other problems I've had with those rebuild kits is that they don't come with everything. Some things are missing and they give you extra o rings that go nowhere. I've also gotten 3 separate gaskets before, probably for d15, d16, and whatever else they fit.