B16a dropped a valve. What's the next step?

 
Old 10-22-2018, 01:56 PM
  #1  
Trial User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 2
Default B16a dropped a valve. What's the next step?

Hi guys new to the forum here. Hoping to get some insight on rebuilding my b16a. Spec of the engine before it dropped a valve was , bottom end (nippon oversized hi-comp pistons, acl bearings) head (skunk 2 tuner cams, ported and polished head dual valve springs p73 intake and throttle body, k20 injectors) now I dropped a valve on cylinder 4 intake side due to a snapped spring retainer and valve hit piston and did some considerable damage, Iíll post some pics to show you guys what sort of damage it did, but Iím wondering now what way to go about rebuilding it will I need to machine the block and can the head be reworked without replacing it etc etc. any help greatly appreciated.
Chris Lee is offline  
Old 10-23-2018, 04:32 PM
  #2  
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
TheShodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: City of Wind, IL, USA
Posts: 23,332
Default Re: B16a dropped a valve.

Originally Posted by Chris Lee View Post
Hi guys new to the forum here. Hoping to get some insight on rebuilding my b16a. Spec of the engine before it dropped a valve was , bottom end (nippon oversized hi-comp pistons, acl bearings) head (skunk 2 tuner cams, ported and polished head dual valve springs p73 intake and throttle body, k20 injectors) now I dropped a valve on cylinder 4 intake side due to a snapped spring retainer and valve hit piston and did some considerable damage, Iíll post some pics to show you guys what sort of damage it did, but Iím wondering now what way to go about rebuilding it will I need to machine the block and can the head be reworked without replacing it etc etc. any help greatly appreciated.
Can't say anything until we see something to say anything about..

Plus, a good machine shop would give the best opinion
TheShodan is offline  
Old 10-24-2018, 01:59 PM
  #3  
Trial User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 2
Default Re: B16a dropped a valve.

Originally Posted by TheShodan View Post
Can't say anything until we see something to say anything about..

Plus, a good machine shop would give the best opinion
sorry the pics didnít post for some reason I donít know why they wonít post up
Chris Lee is offline  
Old 10-25-2018, 12:19 PM
  #4  
Honda-Tech Member
 
hondamark35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Home of the Okra Strut
Posts: 3,705
Default Re: B16a dropped a valve.

Originally Posted by TheShodan View Post
Plus, a good machine shop would give the best opinion
This.

Honestly, no matter what sort of feedback you get here good or bad, the machine shop doing the work has the final say. their input will be based on available equipment, level of experience and any test results they deem applicable.
hondamark35 is offline  
Old 10-29-2018, 06:30 AM
  #5  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 113
Default Re: B16a dropped a valve. What's the next step?

were you using titanium retainers or stock?
Cupajoe is offline  
Old 10-29-2018, 07:43 AM
  #6  
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
TheShodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: City of Wind, IL, USA
Posts: 23,332
Default Re: B16a dropped a valve. What's the next step?

Don't let the TItanium retainer lore get you. Myself and many others have used them daily for over 10-15 years. No issues. It's the install height and keepers that people don't pay attention to, which causes the uneven wear.
TheShodan is offline  
Old 10-29-2018, 08:09 AM
  #7  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 113
Default Re: B16a dropped a valve. What's the next step?

What do you mean by install height and keepers?

ive done retainers on my car before do you mean people putting in bad keepers and not adjusting the valves after?
Cupajoe is offline  
Old 10-29-2018, 10:44 AM
  #8  
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
TheShodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: City of Wind, IL, USA
Posts: 23,332
Default Re: B16a dropped a valve. What's the next step?

Originally Posted by Cupajoe View Post
What do you mean by install height and keepers?

ive done retainers on my car before do you mean people putting in bad keepers and not adjusting the valves after?
Correct. Especially when they use a bad installation correlation with "titanium valvespring retainers". My point was that titanium retainers can run a long time without the wear. It's all in the installation order and the proper lash with a good keeper. (valve lock)
TheShodan is offline  
Old 10-29-2018, 03:04 PM
  #9  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Txdragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,070
Default Re: B16a dropped a valve. What's the next step?

Interesting. I had a recent experience with Nippon pistons meeting valves.. I split #1 and #3 pistons parallel to the wrist pin after my timing belt slipped 3 teeth following a comp cam install. I pulled my head apart today and to my surprise, no valve or head damage was done at all. It shocked me that there wasn't even so much as a knick on a valve. Lol! May be a bit different in your particular case but.. Get those pics up!
Txdragon is offline  
Old 10-29-2018, 03:07 PM
  #10  
Intelligently Stupid
 
TomCat39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,918
Default Re: B16a dropped a valve. What's the next step?

If I may inquire, what is the sign of a bad keeper (valve lock)?
TomCat39 is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: