Notices

Anyone have H or B ATI damper in hand to get measurements for me?

Old 02-11-2019, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Anyone have H or B ATI damper in hand to get measurements for me?

I wasn't sure what section to put this in, so I'll try here.
Does anybody have an ATI super damper in stock or in hand (not installed) for a B series and/or H series motor? I'm gathering measurements for the hubs and sleeves for all versions of each of these motors to see if something can be made to be compatible with the 88-91 prelude motor; b20a5/b21a1, without going custom (stupid expensive). Ideally I'm hoping to get measurements for the street version for H motor, and both street and race versions of B series.

I'm looking for: pulley diameters, snout bore depth, offset from mating surface of crank to back side of pulley, overall width of the hub (to possibly use different pulley/hub combo). Anything anybody can contribute will help

Last edited by motoxxxman; 02-11-2019 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have H or B ATI damper in hand to get measurements for me?

bump?
Old 02-14-2019, 08:27 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have to check if I have mine here and available. If not, I will see if I can somehow convince my ex to get measurements, as it would be in my toolbox in her garage.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an ATI in B-series fitment here I can measure for you. I've actually been planning on installing it on my B20a5, hope it fits lol
Old 02-25-2019, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Str8 outta Cliff
I have an ATI in B-series fitment here I can measure for you. I've actually been planning on installing it on my B20a5, hope it fits lol
yes please take pics and measurements! I know the hub will fit the crank. I just want to know how the pulleys line up with stock alt and PS locations, and pulley diameters compared to stock b20a5/b21 pulleys
If you can post a few pics of just the hub too without the pulleys, that would also be great, as I'm wondering if the H pulley set will mount to the B hub. Because it seems the H pulley set is nearly perfect for our motors, but the H hub is too big for our crank
Old 02-25-2019, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motoxxxman
yes please take pics and measurements! I know the hub will fit the crank. I just want to know how the pulleys line up with stock alt and PS locations, and pulley diameters compared to stock b20a5/b21 pulleys
If you can post a few pics of just the hub too without the pulleys, that would also be great, as I'm wondering if the H pulley set will mount to the B hub. Because it seems the H pulley set is nearly perfect for our motors, but the H hub is too big for our crank
Sure I will pull out a stock B20a pulley I know I have lying around somewhere and take some comparison pics.

I'm trying to run power steering too, I've had this ATI for a few years never installed it but would like to use it soon

Old 03-05-2019, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, Finally got some measurements. As you can see, the B-series pulley looks like it sits a bit closer to the engine than the B20a unit by about .075". It's also a bit thinner in the hub, .550" instead of .575" so I'm wondering if it could be shimmed it out a bit with a spacer.

Pulley diameter is about 5.450" or so where the belt rides, 5.670" diameter outer lip. I'm getting more like 6.160" for B20a on the alternator pulley. Also looks like the B-series belts are a bit narrower but hard to tell for sure.

Not sure what to do about the power steering, almost wondering if I could space the B20 pump out a bit and use the extra pulley on the end of the ATI damper.

Last edited by Str8 outta Cliff; 03-05-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, Finally got some measurements. As you can see, the B-series pulley looks like it sits a bit closer to the engine than the B20a unit by about .075". It's also a bit thinner in the hub, .550" instead of .575" so I'm wondering if it could be shimmed it out a bit with a spacer.

Pulley diameter is about 5.450" or so where the belt rides, 5.670" diameter outer lip. I'm getting more like 6.160" for B20a on the alternator pulley. Also looks like the B-series belts are a bit narrower but hard to tell for sure.

Not sure what to do about the power steering, almost wondering if I could space the B20 pump out a bit and use the extra pulley on the end of the ATI damper.
Excellent info, thank you.
The way the PS pump mounts, I don't think it would work spacing it out to run it on the outer pulley of the B series pulley.
It does look like the B series pulley is totally useable though for the alternator, though it will underdrive it a little. Good for higher rpm power, not as good for idle voltage or alternator life.
I'm still wondering if the B series hub will fit the H series pulleys. Because that may a perfect replacement for our b20a damper.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No problem. Yeah I know what you mean about the PS pump being tricky plus the belt is already close to the frame. Should be able to test fit it soon and how it lines up better.

It would be cool if the H-series pulley would work with the B-series hub, maybe ATI could tell us? Not sure how hard it is to remove the pulley but from what I can measure it seems the hub OD is about 2.060" or so.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No problem. Yeah I know what you mean about the PS pump being tricky plus the belt is already close to the frame. Should be able to test fit it soon and how it lines up better.

It would be cool if the H-series pulley would work with the B-series hub, maybe ATI could tell us? Not sure how hard it is to remove the pulley but from what I can measure it seems the hub OD is about 2.060" or so.
I'm gonna email ATI soon as ask for dimensions to see what might work. I'll report back here in the next few days or whenever they reply
Old 02-19-2020, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey did you ever end up getting ahold of ATI? I'm really wanting to get a damper fitted to my motor for this season. Still have the B-series damper sitting around, thinking I might order up the H22 version and if the hub doesn't interchange or fit right I will just turn one myself on the lathe
Old 03-05-2020, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey did you ever end up getting ahold of ATI? I'm really wanting to get a damper fitted to my motor for this season. Still have the B-series damper sitting around, thinking I might order up the H22 version and if the hub doesn't interchange or fit right I will just turn one myself on the lathe
No I never did get a response from them. Well, not a proper response. I made two attempts, and both times all they told me was "if you send us an oem damper, we can custom make one to match".
If you're willing to buy the h22 pulley set, that would be awesome to know hands-on if it fits the B series hub, and how it measures up compared to the b20a pulley. Please keep us updated if you follow through with it.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you still looking for measurements? I just received my B-series ATI race damper last week and haven't installed it yet.
Old 09-28-2023, 01:09 AM
Trial User

I'm also hunting for a damper replacement for a B20A7 (1991 Prelude).

ATI did share some dimensions with me, which I need to still measure against my current pulley.
Did anyone make progress with this experiment for a B20A Pulley replacement? I really need to find a solution as my car is currently out of action.

Here's the dimensions from the ATI support team.