Notices
Drift Zone Enthusiasts of the drifting phenomenon

Simone - my 1996 240sx Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 02:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Get ready to have your ****ing mind blown!!!

5 hours of work converting my ford Taurus fan connector over to a Nissan plug, then sleeving it... wanna see how and why?

Look no further.

I think I spent about an hour in front of the car de-pinning the relay all of the wiring was originally soldered to. I then decided to grab a bbq torch lighter and de-solder that way. Worked great, until I decided I wasn't going to use the relay anymore anyway, so I kind of wasted my time.

So as you may know I've been reading many "how-to's" on how to wire up a ford Taurus fan as OEM as possible into my car.

This was pulled from my s13 (Chloe) and worked just fine before, but the amperage draw of the fan was so high that the alternator couldn't provide enough power to run the fan nor could the system even take it running on high.

Some fun statistics for you.

1995 Ford Taurus (3.8L)
Dual speed
low: ~2500 cfm, Amp draw ~23.75A
high: ~3800cfm, Amp draw ~46.5A

The problem with the fan going into high is the stock relays are all 40amp... So that could either burn out a fuse, cause a major accessory power draw (add up having your lights on, radio blasting, ac running, etc.) Hell makes me want to upgrade my alternator now lol.

Anyway the point is you need stronger relays for the car if you're going to run this fan. I have decided to go with AEI component relays. you'll see on a drawing below the quantity I'm going to order (replacing ALL of my relays)

http://www.boardrelays.com/

----------------------------------------------

The instructions are as follows for this modification.
(all horrible spelling has been corrected. -137)

Originally Posted by http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=99700

The two diagrams above show how to build and wire an auto relay switched 2-speed FORD TAURUS fan. Parts needed......10 gauge wire for the power circuit. 18 gauge wire for the control circuit.

Three relays...
1) High speed relay, TYCO VF7-12V,70amps
2)Low speed relay and Aux relay, standard BOSCH relays

Two switches...
1)Low speed temp. switch- Adj. Flexilite, FLX-31147 from SUMMIT.
2)High speed temp. switch from Standard Motor Products, TS-158 or TS-392.

I put the adj. low speed switch and the three relays in separate relay boxes and mounted them in the engine comp. The high speed temp switch I mounted where one of the heater hoses went.

Est. cost of parts, less the fan, is $50.00 . 10 gauge wire is used in the power circuit and 18 gauge in the control circuit. The 12V switched control circuit can be connected to any live connection with ignition on.

The control circuit shown is as follows..... When the temp. reaches your set low speed figure, let's say 190 deg.the low speed relay is energized through pin 86, 85 connects to 87A of the AUX relay and pulls 30 of that relay, 87 of the low speed relay and 30 are closed sending power to the fan to run at low speed.

When the temp. reaches your high speed switch figure, let's say 210 deg. pin 86 of the AUX. relay energizes through 85 and 30 releases from 87A of the low speed relay and connects with 85 of the high speed relay which through 87 of that relay powers the fan to run at high speed.

ARE we confused yet?????

When the temp falls below the high speed switch figure the AUX relay will switch back to the low speed relay.

Therefore low and high speeds will never be on at the same time and you will have the following conditions...
1) No fan on.
2) Low speed on.
3) High speed on.

This set-up has worked great since installation of it and I fought heat problems for a year because of my blower set-up before this change and NO in dash switches.........
----------------------------------------------

Now the way he want's to wire it up is all fine and dandy, but I'm going with more traditional OEM wiring, I don't see where I will need all of these thermo's and what not. I have a nismo thermostat so that should actually put the car's natural cooling ability to use before I even need the electric fan to kick on. The DIF fan controller's look real nice but at 150, 200 dollars (which has integrated relays.) is just unnecessary imo. More for the non Do It Yourselfer aka D.I.Y er lol.

Here is the OEM wiring charts for you to reference how I'm rolling. As mentioned above I'm replacing the stock relays with 60amp relays.

and here is the electric fan wiring layout, pay attention to the area I highlighted, now on my s13 (Chloe) this was all manually wired to the car, not integrated in an oem manner what so ever. So I'm going to use the oem fan plug from the Electric Fan

you can see here that there is a white/red wire in pin seat number 1 which goes to the fan relay #2 this is going to be our HIGH speed fan relay, the second wire is brown/white our LOW speed wire going to fan relay #1. Confused, OK I'll hold the actual plug itself I'm talking about.

I'll touch back later at how I am integrating that third (fail safe) relay into this oem setup.

So I have a power line for high, I have a power line for low, and look I even have dual grounds going to a stock location, so why wire the fan up separately when I can utilize this awesome plug?

Exaaaaaaactly...

let's get to work shall we?

Here is the Ford Taurus fan plug... the pin out goes like this.

1. blue (HIGH SPEED) 2. black/red (LOW SPEED) 3. black (GROUND)
I may not have them in that order but that's not important. - 137

I am using the plug from the stock electric fan which goes to the above pictured plug I don't remember the exact color pin out, nor can I find that in the maintenance manual. So **** it, we're going to make our own pin out.

So lets start by taking the ground wire, extending it, and then splitting it into two so it can utilize not one, but two oem grounding points.

soldering.

done

So basically pins 3 (black) and 4 (yellow/green) on this plug will be going to pins 3 (black) and 4 (black) on E30.

now for the black/red wire, I've decided to use the green wire for low speed, this will be going into pin seat #1 on this plug.

The blue wire on the Taurus plug (pin #1) will go to the blue wire which we're going to put in pin seat #2 on the oem plug.

all of this heat shrink initially was a great idea until I had to figure out how in the hell to get the water proof grommet back onto the Taurus plug, on top of the grommet cap. GODDAMMIT!

so I had to slice all of the heat shrink off, shimmy that crap on while widening some of the holes and filing down my crappy soldering.

here is all of the heat shrink re-applied now that the cap is where it's supposed to be.

before I sleeve anything I group the wires in section and do a tight, and I mean TIGHT wrap of electric tape, probably two go around's with the roll and cut. Moderately spaced which helps with the sleeve material I slide on.

finished product... but the project is far, from over.

make sure to head over to http://om1kron.blogspot.com to check out any updates I may have not had a chance to post here, as I do update this thread on about 8 different websites.

Thanks for looking again.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Simone - my 1996 240sx Build Thread

I was the car audio installer at circuit city when they were still in business and all that wiring beforehand made me cringe. Good job on cleaning that up and doing it the right way.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:28 PM
crazy mad murdock

just spent an hour reading all of this. Thanks for sharring

also if you can post the viynal pictures of that other car i'm wanting to see that finished product!
Old 02-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

he tore all of the vinyl off and decided to go with paint. DUFFM4N on the forums is doing something similar.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Cash flow is low so I dunno...

Not many updates, my car most likely is going to be towed to my new pad, I'm just spending tonight bolting things up... Fun, Fun, Fun...

Took the exhaust out to see how it lines up with my, er... down pipe which is temporary.

Top Fuel Catback, well without the cat. Also washed my wheels off today, friends threw some tarps or some **** over them, I think they scratched the paint off of the inner lip on one of the wheels... =(

That's what happens when you have roommates.

So what size spacers do you guys recommend, the coils are set to have the wheels in the wells but I'm thinking 5mm spacers, 10 will have them out too far. I don't really have adjustable arms or anything back here as you can see above. All stock, should fix that to save my tires and help dial things in.

Will most likely go with battle version in the rear.

And no the car is not painted yet, it's still black.

Going to roll it out of the garage this weekend and turn it around to give me more access to the passenger compartment.

more updates later.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Sunday's sad attempt of doing work.

I opened my garage, broke down my brothers cherry picker and put it against a wall, cleaned more random junk around the garage.

Swept all of the dirt and dust from under my car, jacked up the front and notched the jacks 2 clicks higher, and repeated the same in the rear...

Since I'm mainly focused on team effort finances right now to move into a new place, I wrote out a grocery list of stuff that I need to get for the car all prioritized from top to bottom. And there are items not really necessary but I want them for aesthetics reasons, such as my Volk Racing Formula GT lug nuts, and an HKS radiator cap.

Yes stuuuuuuuuuuuupid I know.

Don't hate. <--- I hate when people say that, thus I am a hypocrite.

oh pictures!

I'm working on cutting off that piece of heat shrink from the factory to remove those two wires from the source... but then I was like... well how am I going to get another one over here since I started sleeving already.

doh.

yay no more side markers, picked up some kitty litter to throw under the car to pick up all of the oil and power steering fluid I had pooling up under there. Main reason I haven't gone under the car to torque down the mount bolts.

Just chillin in a fold out chair going through and drawing/writing down the pin outs, and sleeving each one in the process up to a junction, I think I'm going to stop before I get to the headlight wiring.

So while I was de-pinning these 12 year old plugs, I found this weird piece of skin stuck in one of the harness pins.

oh because that **** belongs to my ****ing finger...

OOOOOUUUUUUCCCHHHHH!!!!

I see your skin graft and raise you a band aid and clean hands!

OK so I got that **** sleeved, the reason you see yellow tape on top of the sleeving is to hold it tight so it doesn't fray or move, I cant heat shrink the ends until my new shipment of heat-shrink arrives. I tried stopping at vato zone right quick to see what was up on the heat shrink to accomplish this tonight, but all they had was captain America red, and nightcrawler blue.

So I passed on the superhero colors and said **** it. I'll wait, gotta leave the stuff de-pinned anyway to slide more sleeving over it all the way till I get to the wheel well. Here is the creative process behind harness plug identification, I'll make sure to post a pin out sheet when I'm all said and done.

After taking the harness plug off, I wrap it in yellow tape and write down a sequence number on it, which corresponds to the list I am drawing the pin out's on. This will help me identify them later so I can plug them back up without confusion.

all done with that, now going to throw some 3/8th sleeving over these 4 connections. Lets get in closer to give you an idea of what's going on.

You can see a loop of wires in there, which belongs to the fan plug, this needs to be running the opposite direction from the wires pointing left because the fan plug meets it over the shroud.

You want to make sure you don't kink or crease any wiring in this process, so I'm adding a nice bend and I'll sleeve right over this, if you unravel one of these things yourself. You will see Nissan themselves are notorious for kinking the wires.

that's a no no.

and now it's midnight, and my neighbors are probably severely annoyed now.

Time to clean up, hit the showers, and call it a night.

peace.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default No Job, So I made work.

LOL! Well besides getting the great news that I got laid off at least I have 1 more paycheck coming to me. ****ing weak, then it's a matter of waiting for EED or EDD or whatever the hell it is to kick in.

I was going to pick up my ganador mirrors this weekend but decided to buy my girlfriend new tires for her car and get her an alignment since her safety is more important than my vanity items.

However no worries, if I'm going to be unemployed I'm going to get something out of it. So I'll be picking those up next week, it's a damn shame really. I have to give up my 2 way diff in the s13 because I have no means or way to pay for it.

I have enough materials available to complete the fuse box wiring somewhat, but until I have any more disposable income I may have to sell off some parts to get the car running.

But since everyone is a low balling **** sucker, that's not even an option.

That's where I left off, I seriously started to doze off while finishing this up. I was certain that I was going to finish this today, but hell I even blow off working on my car to surf the net.

HAHA!

I sat back down, started to work on it again, went on a coffee break.

hilarious.

well this thread will be postponed until I find a job pretty much, I'll try to post what little updates I can.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Exterior harness sleeving DONE!!!

Another 4 hours down the hole, finally finished the wiring/sleeving on my front body harness. Now I just need to put all of the connectors and crap back on and buy some plugs and make my own disconnects for the kouki headlights.

That just cost me about 12 bucks (shipping rape) go figure.

But first I just wanted to show my cool new screwdriver I bought to work on my old cell phone.

I was trying to open up my roommates digital camera that took a beer bath the day he got it HAHAHAHA!!! it's been sitting on my desk for months, after opening up. This thing needs Jesus not a cleaning.

So yeah outside working on the harness here are some wires that apparently were damaged from rubbing. One goes to the AC compressor for power, and the other is just a ground for the brake fluid sensor.

man it's hot out here in California. Sucks for you guys with snow!

doing some heat shrinking.

I think I have an idea.

Excuse my fat head, I wasn't able to get the myspace angles in while hunched over.

so much win!!!
(brake fluid level, power steering thing, ac on/off)

The battle is far from over, so lets prep the harness to sleeve the remainder ok?

(this makes getting the sleeving over the wires much easier.)

welp... halfway done, just double bagging the friction area Don't want to do all of this work for nothing.

Pretty much all done.

it's not pretty but it wont fall apart and nobody will see it.

and the spread eagle shot.

welp, my "lunch break" is over time to go out and put the bottom of the car back together.

this slit in the heat shrink was the best idea I had all day. Each slit has a smaller ring just behind it of heat shrink on top of the larger piece to ensure it never "rips open" as we don't want that.

going to focus on the fuse box wiring next. Just have to push the car out of the garage and turn it around. Need more room to work on it.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awsome work so far!!!!!!!!!! Its amazing that you get so detialed in everything can wait to see more update and good luck with the rest of this.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:22 PM
shit post warrior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear about you being laid off. Best of luck in the future.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default I haven't updated this in a while.

Originally Posted by ITRbroham
Sorry to hear about you being laid off. Best of luck in the future.
word, we will move forward and prosper!

Because I'm unemployed, aint like I got money to be working on this ****! haha j/k

As you may or may have not of read in a previous entry I had lost my job so that means there was some things I was unable to purchase out of luxury. One of those things being my LSD for my s13 (which was already on it at the time.) Being the previous owner "Luke" never removed it due to sheer laziness I decided to save him and me the trouble and offered to buy it.

5 months later it's getting repo'd lol. Luke swung by to pull the diff, I told him I had no way to pay for it and he could take it back as long as he put the stock diff back in place, so that was done as requested around last Thursday I believe it was.

I guess Ernie from DTC Performance needed the diff for a competition since he had a VLSD in his car... (ROFLS) hope you enjoy the diff bruddah! I'm going 1.5 when things turn around for me on this car. So it was nice to have you for one drive KAAZ 2 Way, you will be missed. But I just couldn't produce the disposable capital to keep you!

But onto my car...

I had my roommate order some delphi connectors for me so I could actually make plugs for my headlights instead of them being hardwired in as they were previously.

YAY!

It bothers me that this thing is soaked in gear oil...

But I seriously do not feel like dropping it to re seal it, so much so I just bolted the drive shaft up tonight.

A member on Zilvia was really cool and sent me some parts I needed for my build, saw that I was hitting some rough times.(and I'll definitely return the favor) But funny thing is I went shopping for all of this crap on Saturday and got all the wrong sizes for exhaust gaskets! Luckily I think I can get 18 bucks back from Napa.

That's the plan anyway!

Urethane exhaust hangars... the holes were too small so I had to take the dremel and make the holes bigger, burning hot urethane is very messy, that's all I'm going to say about that!

I seriously have no idea why they cut up the fender wells like that to do the pull. But I need to have some metal welded in there asap so it doesn't on the underside of the panel metal.

This is pretty much where I stopped at because I have no idea what in the **** I did with the drive shaft retainer bolts... But I think I have a pretty good idea where they are now LOL! (transmission bracket)

(the clearance looks really tight on this, but let me tell you these urethane hangars are a godsend. No more ****ing rattling against my chassis, damn car sounded like a coffee can full of rocks being swung out back when it idled.)

It was a bitch to get those hangars all on there and tightened up (two of them have bolts) one of which I think I stripped *doh* but at least I know that exhaust aint moving and that's all that matters.

I dunno where my other exhaust bolts are but I am thinking the huge bolts I had no idea where they came from belonged to the exhaust on the s13. So I guess they're going to have to do on the s14. I bought some fluids for the car to get everything together and what not so I can wrap up the electrical when $$$$ permits but left all of it in my girlfriends car. *doh*

Well I will work on this more tomorrow, I need to pick up my ganador's from Evan and stop giving that poor guy the run around and just ordered up the transmission and diff fluid right now with my last check.

Gotta get this car running so I can look for a ****ing job lol.

c'mon unemployment!
Old 03-11-2009, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Um, Houston... We have... Some Problems.

Ok...

First up, I'm going to have to modify this.

Everything bolted up off of the car fine, I suppose.

On the car...

is a different story.

All I can say is, this is going to be LOUD.

Oh, got my drive shaft bolted in...

but.

um, yeah?

I'm going to grab the drive shaft that was on this motor on the s13 to see if that will make a difference, otherwise I need to figure out how this is going to work.

and for BH and Dousan

I approve of Aero Catch Hood Latches, bish *** bishes!

Old 03-13-2009, 02:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It was a really productive day.

Stopped at my parents to grab my spare drive shaft on the s13 to see if it would work on the s14. Grabbed the Dust Collar off of the KA24DE Transmission, bag of transmission bolts (since my SR was missing some.) The air compressor, the air gun, the air wrench, 1/2 swivel socket, some extensions.

Headed back to the house, roughly about 11:55am here.

happy package from amsoil.

Oh I grabbed that crap too. Figured I'd fill the transmission from the interior of the car.

Man it's hot today!

Oh yeah, for you Evan!

Ganadors, and vip zip ties from kragen lol
(apparently they keep electric fan zip ties in the back.)

****ing behemoth drive shaft (from my s13), **** looks like it's a space shuttle.

Yay, fan mounted, took the dremel to it and made 3 holes and this is the result. (no more ghetto zip ties)

obviously comparing drive shafts, doesn't look like the s13 one is going to work on my car. Much less, it worries me how skinny the shaft is to the differential on the s13 shaft. Which is on the bottom half of the picture.

I decided to drop the diff to re-seal it, I dunno if it was leaking or what the **** is wrong with it so tally ho. Had my roommate come out and help with it (pull the e-brake while I rotate the wheels)

I got everything loose except for this bolt.

I tried to drop the sub frame an inch or two to get direct access to it, but as soon as I put my air gun on one of the bolts, the socket adapter snapped into the socket. YAY! At least I know where the 650lbs of tq went. *jack off motion*

The subframe won this battle, **** it. I'll deal with the leak and check it often.

I bolted the godamned thing back up and decided to change the fluid.

ewe, and ewe... how the hell did KAAZ Fluid get this dark, the fluid on the s13 was still clear when we pulled that diff???

Filled with Amsoil 80-90 GL-5 gear fluid. See how this stuff holds up, I've heard nothing but good things about it. Slightly cheaper than buying KAAZ fluid as well.

Got that squared away and figured it was time for the tranny fluid. Now I didn't take a picture of a lot of the dumb **** I did like pulling tabs through that radiator to mount the fans, or me scraping the diff plugs with a small flathead to get the dirt out of the gooves.

Figured it was a waste of time and people don't clean that **** anyway. They just change their fluid and plug everything back up. I on the other hand cleaned up all of the parts back there.

I really tried to get the filler bolt loose on the tranny, but I just bitched out and did it this way because it's easier. There seemed to be some fluid still in the transmission so I unbolted that plug. While that was draining I spent about 20 minutes trying to get that friggin retainer clip out for the shifter.

And this is a lesson in humility.

Guess how much of that first quart I poured before I had realized I never put the drain plug back in? And what makes this even better is I was more concentrated on taking a super douche bag doofey dumpledore dickbreathed picture of myself pouring oil from inside of my car.

I quickly jumped under the car and plugged it up with my hand and put the bolt back in, I got oil all over EVERYTHING putting the plug in, granted I had my drain bucket under it. The thought didn't even cross my mind, at that point I was ready to kick the car off of the jack stands.

That's the second time I've jiffy lubed my car.

MOTHER ****!

**** you car...

suck me low.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Went out in the garage today and did a lot of ****

no need for tons of detail.
here's some pictures, you can figure it out I'm sure lol.

just in case you're stupid and didn't figure it out (because I didn't take pictures.)

I cleaned, I cut up cardboard in my recycle bin, I swept, I tightened a shitload of bolts and put BLUE loctite on them just in case, I ruined this white shirt (the back is 3 times as worse), I put more bolts on my transmission, tightened the motor mount bolts, power steering hose from the rack wont fit on the pump so it's in a bag until I figure out how to tackle that, replaced passenger thing a majig boot.

Power steering rod I dunno what it's called, so many ****ing arms, rods and what nots down there. Pulled it out of the garage and turned it around, washed it, cleaned the trunk out, pushed it back in the garage now plenty of room to work on fusebox next week.

Wrapped things up and headed to the shower, then cleaned the bathroom once I realized how filthy I have made it today.
That was my Friday, how was yours?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I woke up at 4:30am this morning, browsed the web for a bit, kissed my girlfriend goodbye for the week, and grabbed some OJ. I've quit drinking coffee cold turkey, I cheated and had starbucks last Tuesday but that's only because I had to drive to Pasadena and I was falling asleep using my roommates car.

Went into the garage and figured today would be a good day to wrap up all of the intercooler dealings, get it all clamped in and buttoned up, also to put my front body harness back together.

check out the cool gloves my roommate gave me, they're for electrical stuff and what not. Grounds your hands or something like that, lol.

5:45am

look at the location for the ambient temp sensor for the digital climate control.

I stopped halfway though to take a breakfast break, ended up beating battlefield bad company during this break, I was already half way through the game. After all was said and done, this game sucked. It played like rainbow six, and if anyone knows me I am a HUGE battlefield fan.

Went back to the garage.

My measurements for the electric fan wiring were a bit off, but then again I have an over sized radiator that doesn't exactly fit my car properly.

After I got the harness back together, I got all of the hoses for the radiator in and clamped down, filled the radiator with coolant. And of course, forgot to tighten the drain... lol luckily not that much leaked and it's still topped off, but there goes my dry garage floor.

Yes too much reading and not enough pictures *******. I see what you're saying.

I then decided to take the dremel to my vertex front bumper. I wish I had some kind of sanding device to make the **** I did even, but seriously I could lay more glass in here if it bothered me that everything is no longer symmetrical.

this is not computer generated, and I'm only 25 percent done.

done, **** poor dremel, already sounds like it's going bad haha.

I would also like to add, I ****ing hate working with fiberglass, so I tried to one up it this time and put on a sars mask, eyeglasses, long sleeve shirt, had jeans on, gloves. You do not understand agony until you spend a day with a nice coat of fiberglass in your forearms.

I then test fit the bumper by just putting it on the bumper support, not one screw at all holding it in place. This is so beautiful.

Why so high? is the SR lighter than a KA?

Sat a fender on the car to double check.
(wow it is pretty high, that's odd.)

Then I kind of sat around for a while, thought about life while sipping on some OJ.

Decided to finish the remainder of the harness with a boot of heat shrink I had placed back here but never heated up, then did the deed, pulled the harness back in the cabin through the plug. And put in my aluminum skid plate, you may also notice I have the old oem harness cover over the tech flex, which makes the wiring look twice as thick.

Being I already double bagged the harness with tech flex. There is a lot of **** metal the flex can snag on, so I want it double protected out here at the front of the car. Troubleshooting electronics is one thing, but when you cant easily access them, that's another monster.

You can see here that if my harness ever breaks it's zip ties holding it up, it will just fall and rest on the skid plate (which only has one screw in it, otherwise it's more of a tight fit where it is.

And I'm just going to dive into the fuse box dealio tomorrow.

I still do not know what to do with my power steering hose, I think I'm going to yank the one off of the s13 and put it on my s14. I don't feel like dismantling the engine and trying to get the old KA power steering pump to work.

Anyway, I'll keep the updates moving.

I packed up shop when it started to get dark.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 03-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

for not updating this, but I haven't touched the car in about 5-6 days. Promise, only thing I did to it last night was clean up my work space, waiting for my vacuum filter to dry so I can clean it out again.

I'm going to remove the rear seats today and finish removing the srs wiring, and finish up the rest of the relay wiring. I hope, I think. LOL!

But here are some pictures to keep you mindlessly entertained.

I've been trying to figure out how to properly wire up the headlights on my car since it seems they never were. The lows are supposed to stay on when you flick the high beams, apparently some relay's are in need to do this. But from what the 97fsm states, I just need a 5 post relay which looks more like a ****ing plug to me.

So I'll be searching for that thing today to double check the wiring on it.

I think I got the clutch interlock wiring down, and I am going to finish up the E17 plug and the other one that goes to the lower harness from the fuse box.

Also I included the wiring for the other relays that I have put together, they are the fan relays and the AC Relay it seems. I have not double checked it with the fsm but I know what the white/red, and brown/white wiring is for. So it's just a matter of testing, I have to be patient and wait for my wiring to come in from crutchfield.

Plus I need to get in touch with my alarm specialist Desmon Margan but it's so hard to get a hold of him, you literally got to show up to his house to get him to yourself. That and I hear he's having transportation issues these days. But I'll have to find a way to resolve this for homie, since I don't have gas money.

Or a car to get him.

yeaaaaaaaaah.

But yeah promise to update thread today, it's not like I don't have **** to do. My camera has just been in my car and I have no reason to take it out of my car.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Three updates rolled into one!

As I had mentioned before I was just too godamned lazy to update my build thread. On top of the fact my digital camera was in my car, and I didn't want to post the pictures until I was damned near finished with my work.

I had left off here.

If you can remember from the previous post I said I dropped a nut in the framework of the car, the kind of area you don't want a loose bolt. Luckily a digital camera can be more handy than you think!

hrmn...

There's that little bastard!

got it!

Alright time to clean this ****ing mess up.

I have no idea why I took this picture, but I know these cables need to run to the fuse block I am waiting for in the mail.

Busting a Bruce Almighty on this ****.

What do we have here? Guess I got happy when cutting off the previous harness cover from the factory.

Much Better. (would've preferred heat shrink but I don't have a size that would've fit, nor that thing I used to make a lot of... oh yeah money.)

looking a lot better.

Lets get that dash bar back in.

I figured for whatever reason I should trim the top of my "fuse box" panel. Unfortunately all of my dremel bits have exploded from heat... Including the one I used to modify the lexan.

And I need to vacuum. That stuff is not fun at all to roll around in.

Kind of like my head, nice haircut....

I believe I called it a day after this...

But no worries the next morning I was up again at 6am, gym for an hour and now orange juice.

Halfway through the day! - protein shake, and 1/2 cup of oatmeal, and yeah all of that water. (of which I am drinking the other half of todays gallon as I type.)

back to the building...

I got 3 relays wired up, hopefully those are the right wires that are supposed to go into them... haha j/k I taped them all together when I took them apart.

But I then called it a day after this, and shot the **** with GSXRJordan over aim telling me that I'm lagging it. But hell I'm not going to bust my *** working on the car knowing I cant even drive it in the streets. It's not even registered anymore or insured.

I am pretty sure this was Friday, my girlfriend was coming home today so I didn't touch the car again all weekend nor update any of my build threads.

Sorry....

But no fear because today is Tuesday, and I finally made it back into the garage to work on this thing.

I started my day out by cleaning the garage, and pulling all of the junk I had stored in the interior of the car and placed it in boxes. Swept the floor, vacuumed the car again.

I hate working in a dirty area (and wire shards love to get stuck in your gloves and make for awesome splinters.)

After all that jazz I took my battery box out for some reason, placed all of the bulbs back in the tail lights, but didn't re-mount the tail lights for some odd reason. I'm not sure why I am so reluctant to put them back on.

oh hi rust, nice to find you. (california rust > any other rust.)

I did not purposely make the stacks get shorter as they got closer to the garage door, it just worked out that way.

Now I figured I should put some fluid in my clutch reservoir since it has been sitting dry for quite some time now. But first I need to clean this nasty *** thing, and the fluid container.

fluid container off, a lot easier to clean this ****.

just wiped it down with those blue shop towels. I love those things, unlike paper towels they don't leave little bits of paper towel in or on ****. I may buy some for my kitchen now that I think about it!

I'll just shove this in here for a moment.

now to give you a birds eye of what I'm looking at.

yeah apparently this thing could always be full, even without fluid in it.

Gross

generic *** brake fluid, dab some on one of your sweet blue shop towels and pretend it's your first time putting your finger in a vagina, explore that bitch until you've rubbed every nookie and cranny doing the come here motion, then throw a swirl in it while you're at the home stretch.

If you did a good job with your hands it should look like this.

so lets pretend I took a bunch of stupid pictures of me putting it back together, and say I didn't post them. (or really take them.) which leads us to the worlds easiest clutch bleeding process.

I originally planned to use that little water bottle cut out (tray) but the damn hose(which belonged to my old egr actuator for the ka24de, lol.) was boomerwanging it on me. So I grabbed a water bottle and poured it out and now it will be my bleeding reservoir.

you can imagine what I did next, filled the reservoir on the master cylinder. and slowly hand pumped the clutch pedal with my hand until it was damned near empty. Some of the old fluid pooled into the new fluid, kinda looked like when they give you a shot but draw some of your blood first. Few minutes later all of the old fluid was expunged.

and forever damned to purgatory, no worries I am going to do the brake master cylinder, trust. That bastard is just as ugly!

Might as well change the fuel filter while I'm at it. Crutchfield package will arrive tomorrow, that's when the real fun begin's anyway right? Also was in the process of plugging in all of the fuel lines, so I don't have to worry about gas flying every where if the fuel pump primes, I think I'm just going to pull that fuse so I don't forget about that. The return hose is too big for the nipple on the pressure regulator (or whatever the stock one is called. *shrugs*)

Went inside and had lunch, took a break and sat down and fell asleep watching my roommate play madden on his day off. So I asked to borrow his car to fix my drowsiness issue.

iced coffee, 5 splenda's, no coffee creamer in 09. (not only does the caffine which I have went cold turkey on give me a little energy, but plain like this also works as a dietary supplement.)

Yeah back out in the garage, now to get rid of this annoying cable that has been getting in my way forever! Pulled the backseats out, and now I'm wondering what I did with the bolts that hold those things in, haha j/k. (but not really.)

just to give you an idea of how hot and sunny it is, yet again. Camera cant even capture anything cause it's soooo damned bright outside.

yeah, encountered 3 more of these bastards, found the right tool to remove them to get the airbag control unit out of the car. The unit itself would be pretty cool if you gutted it and put something else in the box. Battery back up for an alarm, or your alarm brain (but then they could just chop the wires so that would be stupid.)
I could've put the fuse box back here!!! that would've been kind of cool, if I wasn't worried about it engulfing the rear seats in flames.

got this annoying *** plate out, and put it back where it was when I was done.

aaaaahhhh, got that **** out. How dope! Went back inside to see how my roommate was fairing against his online madden competition.

*DING DONG*

me: "who the **** could it be, I swear it better not be another salesman."

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaay!!! A DAY EARLY!!!

I hope starving my *** off was worth it. I should be able to test the electrical system tomorrow this set me back about 134 bucks.

back in the car, pulled my rear interior panel off, why do I see sunshine from inside of my car?

oh that's right my rear quarter fenders for some odd reason were butchered back there for the pull and so I have two open slits on both sides of my car in the rear wheel wells. Maybe I can spray some foam up in there so at least I can keep the elements out.

The metal is damp all inside, dirt and other **** is in here as well. I almost **** myself when I pulled everything off because there was spider webs back there and a huge ball that looked like a spider nest (I'm terrified of spiders.)

Yeah, no money for welding work so yeah it's gotta stay like that for now. I don't drive it in the rain all that much anyway (well haven't driven the car for 6 months now and counting.)

So I put the battery cable through where this cable was running.

And I'll run it alongside the rear harness wiring stuff.

I got these loose and didn't break the holding tabs (pats self on back.)

all back together.

time to go to the gym... **** my life.

fast forward an hour and some change later (showered and what not.)

fruits of my labor for today.

The floor of a 240sx is probably the most uncomfortable place to work ever. I wish I didn't have to bend over my fat *** stomach. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad!

Plugged all of this bullshit up to see how it fit. (**** it, it fit so it stays like this. Wish I had the damn plug cover for the ecu plug, but beggars cant be choosers.)

seriously, I want to drive this ****ing thing already and guess what I ain't got money for gas.

and I go to sleep with it looking like this.

I was going to plug up the clutch interlock relay, turns out I have no idea where the green/white wire is that supposed to plug into this relay and I have no idea where the black/red wire disappeared to. But I think it's on that plug I posted earlier, I'll have to dig into my fsm after I hit submit to trace the other two wires.

Anything that's left over I'm tracing back and de-pinning (after I test the electrical system of course.)

if you noticed any grammar errors, or misspellings, and feel the need to bring that to my attention.

please eat a dick.

slowly.

Have a nice one.

-wayne.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maniac.

Wish I had paitence.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No offense, but I had to laugh when you forgot to do the raidator drain plug also! The amount of times I have done that with the oil pan, or forgot to put the oil cap on!

Incredible effort though!
Old 03-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default That MF'in Relay!!!

(i'll fix the pictures later, right now deal with the thumbs.)

Alright so I left off on the previous entry about how I didn't get the clutch interlock relay wired up. And how I was missing a green/white wire and a black/red wire.

So I traced where the hell those two missing wires originated from.

The two plugs with writing next to them is where I should trace my wires back from.

(This is E102, and there is my green/white wire)

I previously had this wire going into my headlight relay it seems.
Whoops!!! Or is this the *A/C relay, I cant recall. I'm thinking A/C
(*air conditioning)

Now the black/red wire threw me for a loop. I noticed in my build thread, zilvia member "onepuff" mentioned to me that my headlight plug had some wires listed as in the right position, where as the 97 fsm had them listed in the opposite. So it occurred to me right then, that the relays were probably wired up differently in the 95.

These didn't go back to the fusebox at all, black/red branched off from itself into another plug just around the corner. Damnit.

And in the fuse box pieces I kept the black/red wire was a joint power source running off the 45amp fuse. So it had it's own black/red, hrmn...

But I figured maybe the relay isn't in the right place, but it said the wire runs to E4, which is in the fuse box.

So I went upstairs and printed out the 1995 starting system and compared it to the 1997 starting system.

you can clearly see, black red doesn't touch that (E4) relay on the 1995 chart on the right. Which brings me to the black/yellow wire I had laying on the floor that branched into two pieces.

I remember now, it plugs into the relay twice. So make sure when doing electrical work on your car that you pay attention to the year make of your car listed on your door sticker.

And not your registration!

Since I already had a plug end on the black and yellow wire I decided to splice the joint wire into the already present black/yellow going into our interlock relay (E4)

And I was going to lean over and hold the solder wire with my mouth and push it onto the wire as I heated it up, needless to say the solder fell out of my mouth and for some reason I naturally decided to grab for it... with my right hand since my left was holding the wires up and together.

And you guessed it, that soldering iron dropped like a bomb straight into my forearm. I heard a quick sizzle and yelled ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch. And gave the soldering iron respect and a kung fu grip for the rest of this venture lol.

As you can see, it's not a herpes sore, it's soldering wire in my mouth. Or maybe it is herpes o_O

I need a new tip like asap, I refuse to do the digital climate control wiring with it in this state.

This looks like **** too, but it penetrated so **** it.

now it's turning red, and I'm off to do some shopping.

grocery list.
-motor oil
-power steering fluid
-get the power steering hose off of the s13
-get new fuel hose
-metal zip ties
-regular zip ties
-some m8 1x1.25 or however bolts
-some m8 washers
-two 2inch t-bolt clamps
-two 3inch t-bolt clamps
-new soldering iron tips

Back a few hours later, got everything I needed. Then Gym, then fresh n' easy, then dinner, then Madden, then back to the garage.

hours later, now it looks like a bot fly scab.

Stopped at my parents to get that power steering hose off of the s13, of course the bolt stripped on the hardline, why wouldn't it. So **** it I'll just buy an MA-Motorsports power steering line when I get paid next week.

So I cut the intercooler bracket to slide the intercooler over about an inch and a half since there was some previous gap issues. But since it's 12am I cant really push the car out to get better pictures.

I dunno looks better to me, doesn't matter I'm painting the thing black anyway.

Engine is coming together at least.

(you're doing it wrong.)

I was having some issues with the fuel line setup, I had a third hose, you're only supposed to have two. This is why I bought a new hose, which I also cut, which I also didn't need because it goes to the evap box. Which I don't need, so I unhooked everything as you see it here and the hose in the back with the stuff around it, goes to the fpr.

So thanks to zilvia member "nrg" yet again for the help. It's right!

I need to remove this line, and the hardline all the way to the back and remove the evap box.

I'll document that when I do it.

tripple pressure canister clearance after shuffling the intercooler placement. Now I just need to find the bolt that is supposed to hold it into place. I also will need to have custom hose made for it to go around the piping.

Also if anyone disagree's as I do need to consult the manual. This is my alternator/starter wire setup. I still need to make grounds! The wire heading to the rear goes into the cabin to my distribution block to the battery. From there branches out to the fusebox via 60 and 80 amp fuses replacing the 45 and 75 amp oem fuses.

welp, as you guessed it. Off to the gym!
Old 03-30-2009, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't call this an update really, but I just wanted to share how I'm running the white/blue, and white/green cables that run to the interior power plugs.

I don't really think there is going to be a problem at all how they're run, technically on the fusible link this is how they are run. How the fuses are tripped when there is a power issue is beyond me, but **** it. I won't question Nissan design, I still think instead of a 100, 60(45), and 80(amp) amp fuse conjoined to a small circuit breaker.

Makes less sense than using a 200amp breaker with a trip.

But that's my opinion!

Old 03-30-2009, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thorough build, for sure

Question: you mentioned "when you get paid next week"

Did you find a new job?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slowata
Thorough build, for sure

Question: you mentioned "when you get paid next week"

Did you find a new job?
No, I get like 408 bucks on unemployment, so I pay my bills with most of it and spare 80-160 bucks for little car parts here and there.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default We have the power!!!

Alright, so I needed to get this power steering situation... situated. The KA24DE or S14 power steering hose that runs to the p/s pump, would not fit on the SR20DET p/s pump.

Yes, that was a horrible sentence.

So my only solution was to remove the banjo bolt holding the power steering pump fitting on both cars and swap them.

On the left is the S14 Power steering hose fitting, on the right is the s13's power steering fitting.

Luckily for me the banjo bolt that goes in the top is the same for both cars, I brought the s13 one over to my house from my storage (parent's house) just in case.

I needed an impact gun to get the banjo bolt's loose, the size is 15/16 for the socket used. Putting it back was not a problem, this ratchet is twice the size of my torque wrench and so was the socket.

I have some concerns how this hose sits however above the belt. (I put some zip ties on it to hold it up on the water neck.)

random shot of wire harness plugged into the ac. Once I have my triple pressure canister situation and hose situation resolved. I'll worry about taking the system to an ac specialist to get charged.
(obviously first worrying about registration/insurance/tags.)

I also mentioned there was slack in my throttle cable, like MAD SLACK, at least half an inch of play. Stripped the godamned screw end(on throttle cable) trying to make it tighter on this dumb *** bracket.

Read somewhere just to use the bracket off of the KA24DE intake manifold. Luckily for me I have a dismantled ka24de head in my trunk.

So I did just that, took my dremmel and widened one of the holes, dropped on like it belonged there and guess what?

No more play.

I still have a lot of wires unanswered for. So I will go through the process of de-pinning them once I sort out the headlight wiring. Fan is wired up, A/C is wired up, relay's are wired up. Just need a relay for the headlights, or make sure E7 is not located on the interior (stock) fuse box.

spent most of the day charging my battery, not sure if my charger works properly or not since it doesn't read voltage out anymore. But judging from my trunk light coming on, and me being able to turn on my tail lights and city lamps. I think it's safe to say, we in da building.

And now, for an electrical systems test.

I would like to add, I did not plug up the dimmer switch. That may be why the lights were not coming on the cluster, I'll have to double check that. It might also have something to do with the hazard switch, or that causes my turn signals not to work, cant recall.

Either way, I'm going to try and wrap up the wiring tomorrow and fire it up.

Then jump into the digital climate control.

Question for anyone that's done it before. How in the **** do you mount it to your console, I don't see the holes matching up, at all. Guess I'll look at the faq/how to tomorrow.

And that's a wrap for today.

Quick Reply: Simone - my 1996 240sx Build Thread