Notices
Drift Zone Enthusiasts of the drifting phenomenon

Simone - my 1996 240sx Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Simone - my 1996 240sx Build Thread

So I spent the week picking at my fusebox tuck here and there. The box has all of the wires I have removed, and all of the electric tape, and fuse/relay holders that were a part of the harness previously. And you can see where I have labeled the plugs by their names in the service manual. Still have some relays left to dismantle and relocate. Here is the new fusebox and me marking items off on the fsm. This is my Friday night, all of the relay and fusebox wiring is moved off to this side, and all of the wire ends I had to cut are thrown in that postal box so I can re-use them again if need be or just for reference purposes. I've been told a lot of wires are the same color but I have yet to run into that. I have located the actual turn signal plugs which I will have to run their wires back to the fusebox relay. It was almost impossible to de-pin this plug, as much as I tried to get the retainer strip out of the center I could not. So I took the easy way out. The only setback this really causes is sleeving it. If I cant get the sleeving on from the plug end that means I will have to group all of those wires together and sleeve it from the back end, or just run sleeving wrap? (which will suck) I've been removing some of the ignition related power items off a few of the junction plugs which I am sure at a later time may be a bad idea. But the wires were going to absolutely nothing. (factory) taped off and rolled up in the fusebox??? All of those wires have been removed and de-pinned or de-spliced separately. That's what's left. Now to focus on our fusebox. I'm pretty much all wired out, Saturday I took my flywheel to be re-surfaced and I picked up my nismo needle pilot bearing from west covina nissan. The machinist advised against re-using my pressure plate, but since I only plan on running this clutch for a little while only I guess I'll take my chances. Now it's Sunday, it's about 4:40 in the afternoon. Here is the a shot of the flywheel and the box filled with clutch components. Here is our old pilot bearing... And here I am removing all of the bolts and stuff from their respective homes. I would highly advise not to multi-task when putting an engine together and replacing a part of the car all in the same time frame... I will leave it up to you to see where I went wrong. http://www.vimeo.com/2964504 Pilot Bearing Removal... http://www.vimeo.com/2964686 Bearing Breifing... Here is more dust from the old clutch disc, it just falls off of the pressure plate anytime it makes contact with anything, so I sat and tapped it on my driveway and wiped it down to remove some of the dirt and grime on it. Here is the clutch all installed ready to put the transmission on... random shot of my engine harness just chillin, and to the right, our hard clutch line which we're replacing today. bleeding the slave cylinder out. all empty... There is some kind of goop in here at the bottom, I think once I get some fluid (and once I decide on what fluid i'm going to run and I'm open to suggestions." I am going to take that thing off and clean it.) The thing with the brake cylinder resivior and the clutch cylinder resiviour is you have to clean them with the fluid going in them. It's wierd to explain! My new line running across the engine bay, not as glamorous as some tucked lines, but I'm happier than a pig in ****. My clutch response is going to be so much better it's not even funny. Taking these two nasties off... but what does the one running to the back of the car go to? hrmn?????? according to our friend mr.FSM you can unbolt pretty much everything i've colored red. Here I am putting on the fitting end on the master cylinder itself, I bolted it to the transmission to remove the original rubber factory hose and fitting as I had no leverage with it dangling under the car. It was kind of funny because I have a roommate who I cannot stand and parks like a dick hole in the middle of the driveway (owns the bmw) and I pressed the needle on my slave cylinder only to have clutch/brake fluid fly out of it onto his hood. LOL! I quickly wiped it off but knowing his dumb *** he wont notice any difference in his paint... Unless it peels off in the morning hahaha! So anyway while I'm sitting here laughing it up I get the transmission installed. And right before I bolted it up I walked over and put the clutch slave cylinder up only to notice I left the godamned transmission sandwich plate in the goodie box, so I had to take the whole ****ing thing apart again to get that one piece on... And to add more frustration to my already negative mood... It started pouring it's *** off on top of my head. Man oh man I was ****ing livid, everything got soaking wet. I have to hoist the engine back up in the air and then push it into the garage, then I had to tilt it back to get the water out of the spark well area. Then I had to wipe everything down and let it dry before I started the re-assembly, the rain calmed down so I resumed work and then it started up again. GODAMNIT! I really wanted to get this thing in today! Instead I'm wiping it down and re-assembling it which is going to take more time because I'm in the rain doing it. AAAAARG!!! either way I got it assembled and that is pretty much the end of my workday in the garage. http://www.vimeo.com/2964726 Installing transmission... Now I just need to finish the fuse box so I can have my alarm installer come and work his magic. To be continued -Wayne-
Old 02-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not much worthy of making a huge **** out of... check the blogspot page for my recent happenings... Engine **** is happening next weekend, period...

http://om1kron.blogspot.com
Old 02-01-2009, 09:51 PM
The Boot

awww man....i was hoping to see the out come of this!
Old 02-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you still will, these updates aren't worth posting on every forum. I have this build thread on 8 different forums.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Because the Miami Dolphins aren't playing this year. Who's with me on that one??? nobody........................ **** off then... My pops has been asking me to move my car so he can use his garage again, I didn't want to stuff that KA24DE into my s13 until I properly tore it down, cleaned it up and re-installed it. From the looks of things I think I am just going to go ahead with a full engine rebuild while I'm at it. I see no reason not to at this point in the game. And while I'm at it I guess I can plan out the flywheel and clutch arangements as well since.... But first lets get to work. Yeah I have a lot of work to do, and of course the empty side of the garage is now packed with junk from everyone else whoring out my parents garage... MINE!!! ALL MINE!!! So yeah. As you can see, this car has been forgotten. I felt bad because the black widow that set up shop on my s13 died from starvation... The economy is now affecting spiders, what is the world coming to? Anyway I got this thing off of it's jack stands and then proceeded to push it out in the street, turned it around and pushed it right back up the driveway. It's ridiculous how blown the suspension is on this car lol. It's seriously as buoyant as a hot dog in boiling water. Well started breaking down my S14's KA24DE I knew there was an aftermarket clutch in the car, but I had no idea it was a six puck... This **** was mad toast anyway, would always slip. It was pretty obvious it was just a replacement disc used with the oem pressure plate. The pedal was always soft in the S14, I am thinking clutch masters stage 3 and one of those two piece flywheels. I didn't take any pictures of me removing the intake side. But in case you forgot, this is what a ka24de looks like with that missing, and the cause of my spark well leak... which I documented in a previous entry. (Tripple P! Power Plant Plans!!!) Initially I was just going to clean the motor off and throw it back in after replacing these gaskets... But I know a larger problem is at hand concerning the head gasket... (Getting the car ready for a painless engine removal. ) That entry logged when I drained the radiator only to find out it was filled with nestle quick! Anyway I'm pretty much done for the day, was going to remove the head but it was getting late and the girl unit was getting tired so it was time to wrap it up and call it a day. Few more boxes and baggies with labeled bolts went in afterward... and finally we have the dreaded 240sx shelf shot! Next weekend I will work on getting the engine back in the s14, finishing the fusebox project and testing it out, and then see if I have time to drill out the core support and remove the windows! ---------------- RECAP---------------- 1/31/09 Hit up 7-11 after sitting in work for 2 1/2 hours of traffic... Awesome..... NOT!!! Anyway got started late after watching RocknRolla (when the **** did this come out on DVD) cool movie nonetheless, typical Guy Ritchie fashion.... So yeah bolt this thing in to mock up the wires. Got the dremel out to widen the holes on the right side, and will also play with some more stuff, trimmed the lexan up a bit and rounded the edges. Just need to sort out the rest of the wiring for the relays so I can determine how many I am going to order to replace the stock ones, but I will use the stock one's in the meantime. I'll have another update for the end of this weekend, going to try and accomplish a lot. ----------RECAP------------
Old 02-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

HElla sick. Looks real good for my favorite non-honda
Old 02-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I love the detail shown for the wiring upgrades.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:16 PM

i love build threads like this where there are as many pics as there are details and updates on the car good luck work looks good

wow a whole year and this is my 3rd post lol
Old 02-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All that wiring gives me a headache...
Old 02-07-2009, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Friday night rainy wrenching!!! Gotta love it, the girlfriend hopped in the bath, got wine'd up and fabled out on the xbox while I did work in the garage... I think I'm going to wash my hands again because now my eyes are burning... ****ing power steering fluid.

Anyway so this is what I was looking at when I got all of my lights on....

Then I worked on installing the low and high pressure AC lines before putting in all of the hot pipes.

somewhere in the middle of that I installed my stainless power steering hose, that way it wont melt from touching the intake.

So boom, done, handled!

then spent a good deal deciding on how I wanted to clock these bits, then I was like... I should put the filter on, and had to take it all off again, haha.

maf plug and 02 sensor plug wires.

pretty ****ing neat huh? WHERE IS YOUR MAF PLUG EDWARDS!!!

OH I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE!!!

and this is what it looked like after I was like **** this I'm annoyed and tired... Mainly due to the fact that I was having a bitch of a time with the throttle cable, I tried to route it through the intake manifold but that wasn't going down at all... put it at an angle and it was rubbing when I pressed on the gas, so I routed it the way it was supposed to go only to find out the area to remove any and all slack in the cable has been stripped... Awesome, so it will have a slight delay in response... BOO!!!

Now Annoyed I didn't get to buy anything new this week to work on, and tired because I worked all godamned day! I will tackle the dash wire madness tomorrow and getting all of the fans and crap back into place.

p.s. I want to wreck lady gaga.

thanks for looking.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:28 PM

wow great build thread and great job on the entire car.
i gotta spend more time on checking everything out.
did u also post this under Omnikron's build thread on Zilvia?
Old 02-08-2009, 12:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NISMO_tuner
wow great build thread and great job on the entire car.
i gotta spend more time on checking everything out.
did u also post this under Omnikron's build thread on Zilvia?
yup...

you can check it all out on my blog.

http://om1kron.blogspot.com
Old 02-08-2009, 01:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I decided I might as well just tackle some stuff I've been meaning to do anyway instead of leaving a big mess of electrical wires all over the house. Make the woman happy, you know hehe.

So lets start first with the coil pack sub harness sleeving...

setting up shop.

stripped down.

lets sleeve....

but first, heat shrink... **** this electric tape ****.

one big, one small.

shrink it.

$$$$ in the bank.

That was all just work to the upper harness coil pack connector section. LOL! I got the individual coil's done one by one and then ran into a snag de-pinning one of them.

Luckily I keep my KA24DE harness for spare parts just in case I run into things like this or if I need to convert any plugs from the sr20 harness to work with my car.

much better.

This heat shrink is serious business... super high shrinking ratio, it's industrial or something and it's lined with glue... in a nutshell it's a ****ing BITCH to remove and to damage.

All done, and threw in a picture of my feet for you. Know how much you blokes love that stuff.

Oh and then I fixed this little bugger...

If you guys remember from a previous post, I had made the wire I am working on slightly longer than the other connector and this became a big problem that I just couldn't live with. So now it's even and I am a happy camper.

And now lets sort out this lower engine harness, this is the KA24DE lower harness, I decided not to use the SR20DET Lower Harness since it's designed for an s13 so I guess I will just have to source a new one for Chloe's (my s13) KA24DE swap...

Got it all taped up.. and took it out to the car for a test fit. Also swapped the plugs for the reverse and neutral position with the sr20 ones since I was waaaay too lazy to yank the plugs off of the KA24DE transmission...

why are those wires going inside of the cabin Wayne?

OMG FATALITY!!!

back in the bay... you can see on the lower left the plug for the alternator, going straight to your right is the oil pressure plug and everything else is going to the back as designed.

looks good to me, got everything sorted out, however there is a single plug which the sr20 transmission does not have a plug for which is on the KA24DE transmission. Hopefully this doesn't prove to be a problem. I believe it's the 5th gear position plug (2 pin plug black ground wire & yellow with green stripe wire) So I am just going to de-pin it.

**** it

Doesn't plug into anything, no point in having it dangling down there.

oh yeah put this thing on. I need new clamps for this dealio and some black couplers on that asap tip.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow! I think this might be the most detailed build on h-t. Awesome work..subscribed.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good **** waynold, looks great so far
Old 02-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn thats alot of work but looking good
Old 02-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lower Harness is done dilli-yo!
No point in taking progress pictures, you saw what the thing looked like yesterday.

Now this isn't the complete lower harness, whats missing is the charging cables but i want all of those separate from the lower harness, it will help me diagnose things easier and makes the sleeving process a bit easier on ya.

Here is a run down of what is actually wrapped up here. In a nutshell I don't see where anything else is required besides grounds and + power...

If you disagree please share otherwise.

Welp chaps, gotta go fold laundry!
Old 02-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I didn't go to work today, so I tried to make the most of it while I was at home. It was kind of weird because they put a sig-alert out on me or something lol. I sent my boss a text at 6am saying I wasn't going to be in the office.. he asks at 9:30am if I am coming in, so I text him again... YO I SAID I'M NOT GOING TO MAKE IT IN! then my recruiter calls me and says my boss called her and is worried he hasn't heard from me.

Jeez, I said I had a sore throat, I don't want to call anyone.

duh! So emails it was...

at least I got confirmation they were relieved I didn't die in a traffic accident or end up in jail.

Anyway...

Decided to button up a few things in the engine bay...

I then put the bumper support on to see how it fit over the intercooler.

Then I was putting in my grounds on the intake manifold when fail happened.

There is a spot on the body I can ground these two until I figure out how I'm going to get that ****ing thing out. But I guess they're grounded to the engine for a reason right?

put my condenser in and my radiator... rad looks like it sits just as high as my hood pins, wonder if my hood will actually close, guess I should test fit it.

Figured I might as well test fit all of the front aero while I'm at it as well.

I'll have to trim about a half inch off of the bottom center opening to get the bumper to sit flush. Not bad at all.

injector plugs in. and random snaps.

yeah this is one of the reasons why I got a new core support

installing this side of the AC is going to be a bitch.

random snaps.

and it's chow time folks...

peace.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Holy ****, just read this whole thing lol. Keep up the good work man, things gonna be sick!!!
Old 02-12-2009, 07:32 PM

I got a tool that takes out broken bolts n screws if ya still need it? lemme know..
Old 02-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94fourdoor
I got a tool that takes out broken bolts n screws if ya still need it? lemme know..
Thanks brother, you have my cell phone number you know lol. I'm going to try and finish up my body harness this weekend, so if you wanna swing by we can tackle that.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by 137
Thanks brother, you have my cell phone number you know lol. I'm going to try and finish up my body harness this weekend, so if you wanna swing by we can tackle that.
rad, well i'll cruz by after work on saturday..
Old 02-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i see your hiding OJ's old truck in your garage too... haha, good writeup on the s13 sr into s14, i wish this would have been around a few years back when i was doing mine
Old 02-14-2009, 12:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sddrift
i see your hiding OJ's old truck in your garage too... haha, good writeup on the s13 sr into s14, i wish this would have been around a few years back when i was doing mine

I wish it had been around a few years back when I was doing mine too man. LOL!!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Weekend Update

Friday night I was going to load up some music on my i-pod when I completely remembered when I was at work and reached for it in my desk I noticed it was missing, with it's i-pod charger. FML

So I guess it's no music for me, hopped in the car while it was a mess and tried to get some work done. First by swapping the ECU bracket from my KA24DE ECU to my SR20ECU.

Then I started getting wire splinters in my *** and knuckles crawling around in the car from when I did my engine harness, which I think I'm going to try and finish sleeving the inner portion since I cant figure out how to get it the **** out of the car now LOL!

busted out the Dyson with the animal attachment and all better.

also buttoned up everything on the passenger side, the female F3 Plug, the ECU Relay, and the Wiper Amp got zip tied until I can find a mounting solution for that area.

seriously was getting on my nerves but did not feel like de-pinning it. I also have to wire up the AC plug from the ECU here. If you are keeping your AC with your sr20 and don't know how to wire it up.

AC - compressor won't kick on.

aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh I'm being attached.

[u]

well my roommate wanted to borrow my digital camera this weekend so I wasn't going to get any pictures of me doing all of the wiring this weekend, turns out he never came home last night and got it. So maybe you will get to see me wire some **** up.

I think I am going to make the electric fan wiring work somehow out this way, we'll sort it out by the end of today that's for sure. I haven't received my check in the mail yet so I cant buy fuses or my other fusebox to test any of my electrical this weekend which is ****ing FAIL!!!

I also don't like the way that brake booster line has a kink in it. I seriously want to have a new charge pipe fabbed. I want to have all of the pipes fabbed but whats the point if I go top mount later on?

This is where we left off.

it's 4 in the morning and I'm going to sleeeeeeep.

---continued---

I think the tedious process of wiring....

has been a justification of such to just procrastinate in finishing my car. The stigma behind build threads is some people get into the habit of taking on too many projects. Mainly because they don't want the car to start until everything is perfect.

Knowing damn well the first time you put the key in the ignition and fire it up bam it's going to work just fine, but you need to tub your fenders first, you need to replace your weather stripping first, you need to even out all of your coils first, then you need new suspension bushings first, etc, etc.

So I kicked myself in the *** and went into my garage to go work on this goddamn thing. It's not like I'm just fixing the body harness because of the fuse tuck. Let me break it down!

- fusebox relocation, redesign, testing.
- lengthening wires, soldering, heat shrinking exposed wires.
- installing items for digital climate control, one of which is an ambient temp sensor that runs through the body harness.
- wire up the AC with the SR ECU.
- re-wire the ford Taurus fan to work on my car, whilst figuring out the relay that came with it.
- take the rear seats out to remove the rest of the air bag unit.

I mean it's a lot of **** to take in, anyway... pictures.

oh yeah, drill out that ****ing screw I snapped the other day, we(my brother Bert.) even took a shot at the broken valve cover stud that needed to be drilled out.

and it was fail, so back to the temp solution to hold my coil pack in.

while that was all done I continued to separate and tape up the hanging mess of wires down below.

Since the turn signal wires both junctioned at the fuse box in a relay before, I had deiced to junction those wires in the bay and just run a single wire into the relay that will work the turn signals. It's more efficient I think than running two wires all the way to the relay to join into one. We'll find out how that works out lol, I've done this before with headlights and daytime running lights, this should be no different *crosses fingers*

And I just taped up and joined each and every other wire that I plan on sleeving together, I have to lengthen the wires for the fan plug to reach the relay panel which I'll do today and also figure out how to wire up this electric fan.

to be continued....

Quick Reply: Simone - my 1996 240sx Build Thread