Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

yes i know it doesnt have to do with racing,but its a good cause.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yes i know it doesnt have to do with racing,but its a good cause.

Funeral set for Marine killed in Iraq

Web Posted: 04/20/2006 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

Funeral services have been scheduled for a San Antonio Marine killed in action in Iraq, Marine officials said Wednesday.

A viewing for Lance Cpl. Stephen Joseph Perez, 22, is set for 5 to 7:30 p.m. Friday in the chapel at St. Anthony Catholic High School, 3200 McCullough Ave. A rosary will be recited at the chapel at 7:30 p.m.

A graveside service on Saturday is set for 11 a.m. at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery.

Perez died on April 13, near Fallujah, after being wounded by an explosion. He was assigned to 1st Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif.

San Antonio Express-News

Funeral services have been scheduled for a San Antonio Marine killed in action in Iraq, Marine officials said Wednesday.

A viewing for Lance Cpl. Stephen Joseph Perez, 22, is set for 5 to 7:30 p.m. Friday in the chapel at St. Anthony Catholic High School, 3200 McCullough Ave. A rosary will be recited at the chapel at 7:30 p.m.

A graveside service on Saturday is set for 11 a.m. at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery.

Perez died on April 13, near Fallujah, after being wounded by an explosion. He was assigned to 1st Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif.

S.A. family learns young Marine is dead

Web Posted: 04/14/2006 12:00 AM CDT

Michelle Mondo
Express-News Staff Writer

The family of a local Marine gathered at a Northwest Side home to grieve Thursday night after learning their 22-year-old relative had been killed in Iraq.

Few details were given to the family concerning the death of Cpl. Stephen Joseph Perez, his brother Kenneth said.

"Two Marines just came to our door at 6:30 and told us that he died," Perez, 26, said.

Perez said he didn't know which unit his brother was assigned to, but did know he was based out of Camp Pendleton in California and had been training Iraqi soldiers. He said Perez often traveled from Karma to Fallujah, two known hotspots.

"When he was in Karma I would talk to him at least twice a week and we would get a letter every two weeks," Perez said. "He was always worried about us worrying about him."

(Courtesy photo)

Stephen Joseph Perez, 22, with the U.S. Marine Corps, was killed Wednesday in Iraq.

Perez said the Marines told the family they would have more information in the coming days. Then, they handed the family Perez's cell phone, his brother said.

Military officials Thursday did announce a Marine was killed Wednesday, according to the Defense Department Web site. However, the release didn't include a name pending the notification of family. The unidentified Marine's unit was based out of Camp Pendleton, assigned to Regimental Combat Team 5 and "died due to enemy action while operating near Baghdad," the press release said.

Perez joined the Marines after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks. He had been a freshman at St. Mary's University studying engineering.

"He couldn't believe anyone would do that to his country," he said. "He loved his country so much."

Perez's mother was at the house when the Marines delivered the news. Perez's father and grandfather live in Eagle Pass.

Perez's first tour in Iraq began in December 2004. He was sent to Southeast Asia to help the tsunami victims but returned to Iraq this January. He was due to come home in August. He wanted to return to St. Mary's and get his teaching certificate.

"He told us it wasn't like what was on TV. He said it was 10 times worse. It was the worst place imaginable," Perez said.

As the news of his death spread Thursday night, cars lined both sides of the street leading to Perez's house. Family and friends, carrying plastic bags filled with food, consoled each other at the end of the driveway.

"We're all in shock," Kenneth Perez said. "It's like I've been dreaming, but it's not, it's reality. You never think it would happen to one of your own."

Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget
falls drop by drop upon the heart,
until, in our own despair, against our will,
comes wisdom through the awful grace of God.

Funeral set for Marine killed in Iraq

San Antonio Express-News

anyone able to come would be appreciated....his family would care to know the general public cares.....
Old 04-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: yes i know it doesnt have to do with racing,but its a good cause. (james111)

RIP
Old 04-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: yes i know it doesnt have to do with racing,but its a good cause. (Flexmyrex)

rip
Old 04-20-2006, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: yes i know it doesnt have to do with racing,but its a good cause. (infamousCW-hatch)

God bless American troops.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: yes i know it doesnt have to do with racing,but its a good cause. (STREETWERKZ)

RIP...IRAQ
Old 04-21-2006, 12:18 AM
JL
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: yes i know it doesnt have to do with racing,but its a good cause. (james111)

very sad to hear this, i have friends there.. i wish i had it in me to go
Old 04-21-2006, 08:26 PM

Default Re: yes i know it doesnt have to do with racing,but its a good cause. (JL)

just got back a little while ago from the rosary....wow.....
im so impressed with his family and there ability to keep sane.
was a great service , his platoon sargent spoke and started with "my notes say at the top ,dont cry" well his notes didnt help...
he told great stories about chris and how he wanted to teach after he got out of the marines.

his detatchment went to the tsunami stricked coasts before they went to iraq.
his sargent said they were helping the towns people rebuild a school and a hour or so after gettting into it he looked around and chris could not be found.
he went looking for him and found him inside the school building teaching the children some english. A E I O U he repeated a few times to the kids. he always wanted to help and teach.

great stories about his childhood and when he told his older brother he wanted to join the marines....god i couldnt help crying when he said the last memory of his brother that really stod out was him standing at the end of a jetty in rockport(u in texas will know which one) and yelling at the top of his lungs,!!!!!!!Hooah!!!!!
those of you military or from military family will know the meaning behind that.

it was hard looking at him laying there in his casket,in his uniform.metals pinned to his chest. knowing how he died. but with the little i knew of him i knew he would have it no other way.he is a soldier, a hero above heros.
i walked to his casket twice tonight.once when i first got there and after the services.
i felt the texture of the flag over his casket and stood at attention and gave a last salute to the soldier i barely knew. he barely knew me but gave his life for my way of life and freedom.

i couldnt getto his mother before i left the chappel but i did talk to his brother,who still looked like a feer in headlights. i thanked him for him sharing his memories f his little brother and thanked his family for stevens sacifice and walk out.
i can say its not the first soldiers funeral i have gone to and it wont be the last, but this one will stay with me for a long long time.

i have made a challange to myself and hope some of you will do the same.

if at al possable when you see a soldier in uniform or notice a vietnam or other sticker on a car and you can say thank you to that soldier shake his or her hand and thank them for there service to there country. and when one of your local soldiers some home after paying the highest price go to there service.even if its just to leave flowers or a card.

we here have no idea how easy we have it.we take alot for granted. without our soldiers in uniform and those who have served in uniform we wouldnt have all this we enjoy. for the war or against we need to support our troops and there family.

peace be with you lance cpl.stephen joseph perez and with your family.
for one day we shall regroup at the pearly gates.

james
Old 04-21-2006, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: yes i know it doesnt have to do with racing,but its a good cause. (STREETWERKZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by STREETWERKZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">God bless American troops. </TD></TR></TABLE>

RIP
Old 04-21-2006, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: yes i know it doesnt have to do with racing,but its a good cause. (option_2)

got a tear out of me on this one . so true what you said about the troops , people should stop and say thanks . even if you dont support the war , support the troops
Old 04-22-2006, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: yes i know it doesnt have to do with racing,but its a good cause. (MrDanger)

RIP
Old 04-22-2006, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: yes i know it doesnt have to do with racing,but its a good cause. (Magick211)

A big to all the men and women in the armed servies willing to risk their lives for the rest of us,whether you agree w/the war or not they should be respected for their sacrifice.
Rest in peace brother.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: yes i know it doesnt have to do with racing,but its a good cause. (Flexmyrex)

just loosing a close cousin for other reasons on wednesday, and burying him today, this kinda hits home as my friend is set to ship out to iraq. my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:22 PM

RIP
Old 04-22-2006, 03:28 PM
HT White Ops

We should pray for these brave soldiers fighting for US.