Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Who Is Running The Really Big Nitrous Set Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Who Is Running The Really Big Nitrous Set Up

Let's shed some light on multiple stages...

I've read some posts from the last two pages and have a few questions.

If you use a wet nozzle and spray both sides with nitrous I'm guessing you would need to use two nitrous solenoids and not the fuel one?

Now with a dry kit you would end up with two nozzles per runner, in the case of an S300 both kits would run as 1, 2, 1+2.

But putting a nozzle in the intake and running them as 1+2+3 would be quite risky? The chance of one cylinder getting an uneven mix from the upstream nozzle would be quite high correct? Especially with the amount of nitrous going in at the top end loaded up in 4th...
Old 05-05-2015, 03:21 PM
I am Jack's...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I suppose, from the nozzles that I have seen and tested that one could do just that. I would suggest that the first stage should pass through the nitrous assigned nozzle port to be sure of atomization as all nozzles have a specific geometry to break up the nitrous stream and pound it into the fuel stream. The nitrous stream has far more energy and readily atomizes fuel. Then the second stage can go through the fuel assigned ports on the nozzles.
Three virtual stages from two is a crap shoot though. It should be verified at the least through very small jet changes and testing.
A much simpler and more advanced technique is using pulsoids to virtually vary the entire system flow with low frequency voltage from a nos controller. This is far more controllable, safer and simpler. Simple is the goal to long life.
Multistage nos systems are stone age and destructive instruments to tame. I would not suggest getting your mind wrapped around the multistage idea. Look into low frequency pulsoids and controllers.
PS, these are all guaranteed for life from Wizards of Nitrous. Nobody else in the NOS world will give a guarantee on solenoids and controls.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we have moved onto other projects but i figured id update what we did in the end with both nitrous projects.
The stock K24 car we ended up rigging Hondata KPro to let us do a progressive shot. Using a few differnt functions like the boost control PWM to pulse the solenoid and gear corrections for timing and fuel and the nitrous parameters for activation we were able to make nitrous per gear work very well. also to maintain the AFR we wanted we were able to pulse at different duties throughout the gear to chase down bottle pressure since we didnt have fuel correction per rpm with the gear corrections. turned out to be better anyway for powerband because instead of allowing the pressure to drop and take away fuel to compensate and therefore dropping power, we just increased the amount of nitrous duty so it maintain the same hp and desired AFR. That was especially useful on the surfaces that were able to hook all of the max shot we wanted to run right away because we were able to maintain that same hp by tapering up the duty beyond what the max duty was for the desired shot as it went down the track. so if we wanted to do no more that what 60% made, we started at 60% and ended at maybe 75% by the end of the run. Here is a video of it at a local no prep race.

All same jets. pulsing different duty cycle each run.
The following users liked this post:
Old 09-21-2017, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The other project a simple B series build but was not the greatest success but we got what we needed out of it in terms of knowledge from nitrous and header design. It made the power and time goals we wanted at our altitude but we had motor issues often with this one but everything nitrous related worked as we needed. tried a bunch of different fuels and raced on a bunch of different surfaces and it did pretty well. the header we made performed average on the motor and excellent on the nitrous as expected from the tool we used to come up with the design. Ive sent updates on this car before but i had a few more videos of it before we got rid of it. This was a 2 stage systems we controlled as 3 when traction wasnt available. Best time was a 10.94 at 112 since we let out just after the 1/8. Best 1/8 was a 6.93.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

really nice vids! so ur running 11afr at high rpm?
Old 09-26-2017, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that day yeah. we messed with different AFRs through the powerbands anything from 11.20 to 12.50's didnt make a significant enough power difference so we kept it around 11.80's after the first few seconds. during passes first gear usually was around 12.80's to 12.50s. by the end of second gear we tapered it off to around 11.80's to 11.50's through the rest of the run.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this is a customer car down in Texas i work with as well. Very simple Stock B20 bottom stock ports/valve non vtec head with a 2 dry stage setup with fuel and timing and activation controlled through the ecu just like all the others. Pump gas 93 octane car.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HAVideos
that day yeah. we messed with different AFRs through the powerbands anything from 11.20 to 12.50's didnt make a significant enough power difference so we kept it around 11.80's after the first few seconds. during passes first gear usually was around 12.80's to 12.50s. by the end of second gear we tapered it off to around 11.80's to 11.50's through the rest of the run.
11.8 is much safer then 12.50
Old 01-12-2021, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tyler Dirden, what happened to the WON revo system you puchased? Did it work for you? I suspect that such a system had all the hype and not much uptake. By now one would expect it to be dominant and the game changed.

@HAVideos what solenoid did you pulse? Did you have any issues with the life of the solenoid?