Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Weight Reducing Parts List

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weight Reducing Parts List

I've decided to really get serious with this weight reduction stuff, so I made up a quick list of parts that should lighten up my EK hatch a little bit. When I was done, I tallied up the weights, and came up with close to a 400lbs weight savings w/o stripping out the interior or removing the a/c. Does this seem right? My car weighs roughly 2500lbs right now. Here's the list of parts I plan on adding to remove weight (that in itself sounds kind of weird, heheh):

CF Hatch 18lbs
CF Doors 29lbs x2
CF Hood 20lbs
CF Intake manifold 12lbs
Battery 10lbs
Aluminum IC pipes 05lbs
Spare/Jack 15lbs
Wheels 20lbs
Sound Material 20lbs
FAL Windows 13lbs
Airbags (Driver/Passenger) 15lbs
Solid beam rear suspension 90lbs
Floor mats 05lbs
Rear deck lid 08lbs
Rear seatbelts 05lbs
CF seats (Driver/Passenger) 38lbs
Stock Exhaust Delete 40lbs

Total: 392lbs

Most of the weights I've either measured myself or I've gleaned from extensive searching on various weight-related threads on here. Are any of the weights really out of whack? I tried to stay on the conservative side for the weights. Do you think a 20XXlb streetable car is feasible? Any advise on parts I should avoid for the street? The rear end I had in mind was the Kens Kustom Chassis one because I've heard of people running this on the street w/o any problems, even though it's advertised as off-road only. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:05 PM
HT's Biggest Loser

Default Re: Weight Reducing Parts List (CheezeFrog)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CheezeFrog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Any advise on parts I should avoid for the street? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Umm, you might want to skip the CF doors if you wanna live, and Skip the FAL windows and solid beam susspension, thats not needed whatsoever.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Weight Reducing Parts List (SIXTYdashONE)

I think he plans on adding a roll bar.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:16 PM
HT's Biggest Loser

Default Re: Weight Reducing Parts List (st00pid)

Rollbar or not, its still not very safe in my opinion..

Safety First!
Old 01-02-2004, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Corvettes use a form of FRP for all body panels. I'm not sure what would be inherantly unsafe about CF doors with OEM inner door skins?
Old 01-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIXTYdashONE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Umm, you might want to skip the CF doors if you wanna live, and Skip the FAL windows and solid beam susspension, thats not needed whatsoever.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Each is his own
Old 01-02-2004, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weight Reducing Parts List (K20EG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by K20EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Each is his own</TD></TR></TABLE>
It's not so much a matter of trying to be different. It's more for the fact that lopping off nearly 60lbs of weight, without anybody being able to tell, is very attractive to me right now.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CheezeFrog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It's not so much a matter of trying to be different. It's more for the fact that lopping off nearly 60lbs of weight, without anybody being able to tell, is very attractive to me right now. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Welcome to Streetracer 101
Old 01-02-2004, 07:08 PM
HT's Biggest Loser

Default Re: Weight Reducing Parts List (jerseykid609)

I guess so, i need not argue with this one, I am a firm believer that Street racing is murder waiting to happen. Sorry.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:16 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CheezeFrog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've decided to really get serious with this weight reduction stuff, so I made up a quick list of parts that should lighten up my EK hatch a little bit. When I was done, I tallied up the weights, and came up with close to a 400lbs weight savings w/o stripping out the interior or removing the a/c. Does this seem right? My car weighs roughly 2500lbs right now. Here's the list of parts I plan on adding to remove weight (that in itself sounds kind of weird, heheh):

CF Hatch 18lbs
CF Doors 29lbs x2
CF Hood 20lbs
CF Intake manifold 12lbs
Battery 10lbs
Aluminum IC pipes 05lbs
Spare/Jack 15lbs
Wheels 20lbs
Sound Material 20lbs
FAL Windows 13lbs
Airbags (Driver/Passenger) 15lbs
Solid beam rear suspension 90lbs
Floor mats 05lbs
Rear deck lid 08lbs
Rear seatbelts 05lbs
CF seats (Driver/Passenger) 38lbs
Stock Exhaust Delete 40lbs

Total: 392lbs

Most of the weights I've either measured myself or I've gleaned from extensive searching on various weight-related threads on here. Are any of the weights really out of whack? I tried to stay on the conservative side for the weights. Do you think a 20XXlb streetable car is feasible? Any advise on parts I should avoid for the street? The rear end I had in mind was the Kens Kustom Chassis one because I've heard of people running this on the street w/o any problems, even though it's advertised as off-road only. Thanks in advance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I NEED SPOTS!!!!
Old 01-02-2004, 09:44 PM
Better than steak

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CheezeFrog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> is very attractive to me right now. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Jaden is attractive to me right now...lol
Old 01-02-2004, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weight Reducing Parts List (Arturbo)

You are incorigable!
Old 01-02-2004, 11:28 PM
New User

is this a street car, or do you plan to attend actual races? I drive a Ford F150 and the rear axle on that thing with some of the bumpy roads here would be harsh as hell on my CRX once it has a solid rear axle on it. I don't think I would dare drive it around like that but maybe just once to prove a point to somebody.

I like the idea of the doors as long as you have a cage installed that has the side bars come up high enough to protect your rich ***!
Old 01-03-2004, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Weight Reducing Parts List (badCRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by badCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> to protect your rich ***!</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh, i believe he's unemployed like me
Old 01-03-2004, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weight Reducing Parts List (TurboDANDEE)

Don't forget about the rear support bar under the back seats that is if hatches have them, on my Si the support bar, seat supports, seat belts all the nuts and bolts added up to 45pds. The sound dedening and carpet wieghed like 30pds or so (it has been a while since i wieghed it)
Old 01-03-2004, 01:05 AM

Default Re: Weight Reducing Parts List (99blackcivicSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99blackcivicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't forget about the rear support bar under the back seats that is if hatches have them</TD></TR></TABLE>

where exactly is that and what does it look like? i have a coupe...
Old 01-03-2004, 02:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboDANDEE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

where exactly is that and what does it look like? i have a coupe...</TD></TR></TABLE>

it is right under the rear seats, 3 piece metal bar pretty hefty piece like 12 or 16 bolts hold it in. 3 bolts on each side bolt to the side of the car, if you pull up the carpet and pull the rear seats you will see it shiny silver
Old 01-03-2004, 02:25 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboDANDEE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

where exactly is that and what does it look like? i have a coupe...</TD></TR></TABLE>

im thinkin hes talkin about the 3 pieces that the seats clip into
Old 01-03-2004, 02:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weight Reducing Parts List (onesikviet)

buy an EG CX or VX mad weight savings y0
Old 01-03-2004, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not so much a matter of trying to be different. It's more for the fact that lopping off nearly 60lbs of weight, without anybody being able to tell, is very attractive to me right now. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hows that if the doors are clearly visible?
Old 01-03-2004, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weight Reducing Parts List (MnC CRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MnC CRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hows that if the doors are clearly visible?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Paint over them and make them look OEM. My car is due for a paint job anyway. I need a job.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:08 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't do the solid rear suspension. I know how you wanna race and I don't think it would be very safe.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:35 PM

it seems some of you think the door panels would be unsafe. i'm assuming he's just changing the door skins, in which case it won't make much of a difference since the structural rigidity of the door is on the inside, not in the skin. plus carbon fiber is stonger than a thin little piece of sheet metal anyway. i don't see a problem in that at all.

side note: i wouldn't tell ANYONE about your CF body panels, or the car will be stolen faster than the host of hi-rev tuners can say "check deez trick-*** carbon fiber dowz, yo!! dey be mad blingin! and i think dey save weight or some **** like dat. word."
Old 01-03-2004, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CheezeFrog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Corvettes use a form of FRP for all body panels. I'm not sure what would be inherantly unsafe about CF doors with OEM inner door skins? </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea, but they use the same cf process as ferrari, mclaren etc...vac'd and autoclave'd

the cf doors made for our cars are for looks (seaibon, vis, etc), if they were made the REAL way, then u could jump up and down on them all day long and not worry about cracks or a stupid rock chip cracking the resin like on your typical cf hood
Old 01-04-2004, 12:05 PM
New User

Default Re: Weight Reducing Parts List (Sp00n'd Supra)

Buy an EG Cheezefrog!!!

Sorry, but it's so much easier in a cx EG...

We gutted a friend's hatch:

carpets
front passenger seat
rear seats
all the stuff under the dash
removed seatbelts
removed air bags
removed tar + sound deadening stuff
removed a/c

Car weighed 1925lbs

Next we're adding FAL windows, cf hood, cf hatch, light battery and perhaps getting some swappable race doors for the weekend races...

Looking for 1750lbs w/o driver..daily driver btw:

Quick Reply: Weight Reducing Parts List