Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

using rear ABS with AEM.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: using rear ABS with AEM.

Originally Posted by CMB-TUNING
The M3 has a really solid DBW actuator that will work nicely with a set of ITBs on a K series
Old 01-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by noluckracing
Sorry dont want to thread jack.Can this be done using S300 to?
Yes. Hook up a scope and count the number of pulses you get on the front vss for one tire rotation. Divide the inches of tire circumference by the number of pulses. This gives you pulses per inch. Take the circumference of the back tire and multiply by your pulse/in. That's the number of teeth you need on the abs ring. Use the MSD box to convert to a hall signal and run that output and the vss output through a 3 position toggle switch before the ecu input. Position one for vss to do your burnout and position 3 for the MSD box to do boost-by-ground speed. I'll find the part number to the MSD box we use tomorrow at work for ya.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by andyKAIZENSPEED
Yes. Hook up a scope and count the number of pulses you get on the front vss for one tire rotation. Divide the inches of tire circumference by the number of pulses. This gives you pulses per inch. Take the circumference of the back tire and multiply by your pulse/in. That's the number of teeth you need on the abs ring. Use the MSD box to convert to a hall signal and run that output and the vss output through a 3 position toggle switch before the ecu input. Position one for vss to do your burnout and position 3 for the MSD box to do boost-by-ground speed. I'll find the part number to the MSD box we use tomorrow at work for ya.
Excellent info and thank you.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a difficulty selecting the correct msd box to make this work part # would be welcomed from those who have done it.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bugermass
Currently I use time or speed based launch limiters and retard for power control out of the hole.. For power down the track, with the current system I use most commonly we have differential wheel speed based traction control. This uses ignition timing to precisely control wheel spin all the way down the track.. If you don't have either of these, say with like S300, or older AEM systems, you can use the main ignition maps (obviously within reason) to really fine tune the power delivery from the launch all the way down the track. Using a combination of boost control and ignition strategies you can get very precise control of your power output anywhere on the track.

Basically you can keep the turbo zinging away so that the power is always available, then use ignition to finely control it within your needs.
so controling traction with timming does work! i have wandered about this for years but everybody i have ever talked to says it wont work on a honda. i never understod why, all the big turbo,blower cars all add timming as they go down the track as there traction control. why would it not work on a honda. i would think it would be so much more controlable than trying to manage boost pressure with is quite frankly as about the most inconsistant way of making consistant runs. its never the same 2 passes in a row.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vavoom
I have a difficulty selecting the correct msd box to make this work part # would be welcomed from those who have done it.
either coil box will work.i would buy the 6304 so if you ever needed to change more than 1 signal wire. this one will do up to 4
Old 01-11-2012, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by andyKAIZENSPEED
good idea! could you use a swith on the e-brake or staging brake so when its pulled it reads vss and released it reads ground speed so you dont have to worry about flipping the sw?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So even the old style Aem needs the box or just s300.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MR.johnson
So even the old style Aem needs the box or just s300.
no, the aemv1 has a jumper you can sw from hall to mag. thats what i was told anyway. but i just bought a v2 so i wont no for sure
Old 01-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The Series 1 will do it the same way. There are jumpers for this inside the box just like the Series 2. However I just posted the way to do it on the Series 2. Same way to set everything up just different names for things in the software side.

Tony yeah there is a easy way to figure out the VSS calibration number I just forgot what the math was. haha.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want to do a ignition based traction control you can do this in the AEM Series 2. Although it won't be defined by front vs rear wheel. You can do this in a rate of acceleration of the motor by gear.

For a quick explanation of this you set the rate of accel for RPM, than set a threshold per gear for the traction control to be active, Than you have an ignition cut table per gear.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vavoom
Do you have a part # for this converter?
this is the one we use.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8509/?rtype=10
Old 01-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys for the msd part #.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the values for the AEM for the rear ABS ring if anyone wants them.. I've setup a couple cars with rear wheel speed on AEM.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here ya go.. These settings will work in V1 as well. This is with a standard sized skinny in the rear.
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2012, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here ya go.. These settings will work in V1 as well. This is with a standard sized skinny in the rear.
would these settings work with a stock rear 15" tyre?
Old 01-12-2012, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you sir! this is what i have been needing.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome thanks Chris.

The calibration should be close however you may need to do some fine tuning of the calibration to get it to work on a stock sized 15. However since you have stock wheels what you can do is drive it out on the street and change the calibration number til it matches your VSS on your dash or if you have gps or something. The max number is 250 so you may have to use the *8 function that Chris has turned off and adjust from there.

With the VSS*8 turned on the calibration number will be 31.25
Old 01-12-2012, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey what was the option about adding gps or something to the AQ1 to read ground speed? would that be the same as having it read from the rear wheel?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So stock and ring and sensor to the msd box to Aem and cal? What pin does it go to on the ecu. Just the vss pin and the cluster will still work.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MR.johnson
So stock and ring and sensor to the msd box to Aem and cal? What pin does it go to on the ecu. Just the vss pin and the cluster will still work.
yep
Old 01-12-2012, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this is a 95 del sol diagram but u get the idea, it splits off and goes to the cluster and ecu so all you have to do is unpin ecu and wire in wire from msd box and speedo will still work
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
speedo wiring.pdf (29.7 KB, 356 views)
Old 01-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 061000rr
hey what was the option about adding gps or something to the AQ1 to read ground speed? would that be the same as having it read from the rear wheel?
Yep you can purchase a GPS sensor and wire it into the AQ-1 that would go through the serial input so you wouldn't use one of the analog inputs. However the serial is also used for the Series 1 so you have to choose which one you would want. However the Series 2 can communicate through the AEM Can-bus and you can use the serial for GPS. It will give you a lot of info. Track mapping, speed, altitude, etc.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Rtype16
Yep you can purchase a GPS sensor and wire it into the AQ-1 that would go through the serial input so you wouldn't use one of the analog inputs. However the serial is also used for the Series 1 so you have to choose which one you would want. However the Series 2 can communicate through the AEM Can-bus and you can use the serial for GPS. It will give you a lot of info. Track mapping, speed, altitude, etc.
i just ordered the aemv2 and the AQ1 so thats the route im going. were can i get the gps sensor from? i havnt seen it on aems website? unless i just missed it.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We are going to start selling them soon. Just have to figure out which ones and how we are going to package them. Magnet mount, etc..

We have tested the Garman units here and had great success with them. They have the GPS 18x in both 1Hz and 5Hz models. I would go for the 5Hz.

Quick Reply: using rear ABS with AEM.