Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Drag Racing (https://honda-tech.com/forums/drag-racing-36/)
-   -   tilton valve question if you dont mind (https://honda-tech.com/forums/drag-racing-36/tilton-valve-question-if-you-dont-mind-2507471/)

boostedcivicsir 02-22-2009 03:36 PM

tilton valve question if you dont mind

i have my tilton flow valve on the way, and if summits time line is anywhere near correct, it will be on 3-6. cutting it close for an event id like to make.

my question is if anyone minds divulging information, what orifice is everyone using?

Innes 02-22-2009 03:39 PM

Re: tilton valve question if you dont mind

we have always had the smallest one in place -- the one that will "slip" the most

redboost10 02-22-2009 03:42 PM

i have the largest one in, but now we got a dog box so it dosnt matter

i didnt know summit carried the valve. good to know

boostedcivicsir 02-22-2009 03:47 PM

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...alse&N=700+115

redboost10 02-22-2009 03:50 PM

are you running a carbon twin innes?

Innes 02-22-2009 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by redboost10 (Post 37511536)
are you running a carbon twin innes?

nah, we have always run the Tilton Cerametallic Twin Disc

redboost10 02-22-2009 03:54 PM

hmm. maybe ill have to try the smallest oriface. i run the same clutch but have always been hesitant at running the smaller ones with a cerametallic.

not sure if it matters now

s4yama 02-22-2009 04:11 PM

sorry for the dumb question, but anyone using this on clutches other than tiltons?

ALL IMPORT 02-22-2009 04:18 PM

we use it on our bug. & we use the small one as well . but its not with a tilton clutch

boostedcivicsir 02-22-2009 04:20 PM

my clutch isnt a tilton either......exedy twin.

HondatagirlPea 02-22-2009 06:18 PM

Did you call to make the order? When I ordered my tilton throwout bearing parts I asked if it was really going to take aslong as the website noted. What they did was call them while I was holding on the other line. basically we got it a week and a half after ordering instead of a month.

Might want to call and see what you can find out.

tepid1 02-22-2009 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by boostedcivicsir (Post 37511917)
my clutch isnt a tilton either......exedy twin.

x2

I use the smallest hole as well.

mike93eh2 02-22-2009 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by s4yama (Post 37511797)
sorry for the dumb question, but anyone using this on clutches other than tiltons?

i used one on a action clutch......and i used the largest orifice.

BlakeJ53 02-22-2009 07:30 PM

I have a exedy twin and I have one. I have the biggest oriface in it but I have not had time to test the rest.

ExospeedAMcrx 02-23-2009 09:04 AM

Ya you dont have to use a Tilton Clutch setup with the Tilton Flow Control Valve. Can be used in Twin Discs or regular Single Discs. As long as you can put fittings on your hydraulic lines, you can use it.

I usually stock several sets all the time if anyone needs it ASAP.

redboost10 02-23-2009 09:11 AM

is the exedy a carbon or ceramic?

josh green 02-23-2009 09:20 AM

DAMN, it would be hard for me to justify paying $170+ tax and shipping for a piece of aluminum the size of a quarter, I understand what it does but damn.

yellow_weapon 02-23-2009 09:37 AM

the valve i will be using came from a mate that worked with hydraulics, no idea how much they are tbh as it was free, its quite small and will fit inline easily, its adjustable without messing about changing orifices or re-bleeding, you could have it in car if you wanted i guess, it has numbered increments so you can easily note settings that work well and reset it to work without slipping the clutch if you wanted.

looks similar to this (mine is with a mate that will be making up the clutch line)

https://img.alibaba.com/photo/122131...trol_Valve.jpg

ExospeedAMcrx 02-23-2009 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by josh green (Post 37519832)
DAMN, it would be hard for me to justify paying $170+ tax and shipping for a piece of aluminum the size of a quarter, I understand what it does but damn.

You can think of it as spending $170 on a piece of aluminum than can save parts rather than breaking a $1500 axle or $1000+ on fixing a broken transmission, plus the waste of time and money going to the track and not being able to make any runs due to breakage. :P

boostedcivicsir 02-23-2009 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by redboost10 (Post 37519710)
is the exedy a carbon or ceramic?

ceramic

josh green 02-23-2009 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by ExospeedAMcrx (Post 37520058)
You can think of it as spending $170 on a piece of aluminum than can save parts rather than breaking a $1500 axle or $1000+ on fixing a broken transmission, plus the waste of time and money going to the track and not being able to make any runs due to breakage. :P

Well, our car hasnt been as extreme as most peoples are. I understand its function, but the price is just for the Tilton name on it.

mike93eh2 02-23-2009 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by yellow_weapon (Post 37520031)
the valve i will be using came from a mate that worked with hydraulics, no idea how much they are tbh as it was free, its quite small and will fit inline easily, its adjustable without messing about changing orifices or re-bleeding, you could have it in car if you wanted i guess, it has numbered increments so you can easily note settings that work well and reset it to work without slipping the clutch if you wanted.

looks similar to this (mine is with a mate that will be making up the clutch line)

https://img.alibaba.com/photo/122131...trol_Valve.jpg

you do understand that the tilton fcv is not just a restrictor valve, right?

because thats exactly what your picture looks like. you better read up on what exactly the tilton fcv does..

redboost10 02-23-2009 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by josh green (Post 37521981)
Well, our car hasnt been as extreme as most peoples are. I understand its function, but the price is just for the Tilton name on it.

is there another brand making one?

taylor race has/had fair prices on the valve, just to pass some info along.

Full-Race.com 02-23-2009 09:45 PM

So are you suppose to keep going down in orifice size until you feel the clutch slip after shifts? I guess my question is how do you know what orifice size to use? We just put the Tilton valve in our car with the large orifice and can't feel any difference.

boostedcivicsir 02-24-2009 03:14 AM

i dont think it is designed to "slip" noticably. just enough to get everything moving together kinda like preloading.