Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Drag Racing (https://honda-tech.com/forums/drag-racing-36/)
-   -   Thank You, Thank You , Thank You (https://honda-tech.com/forums/drag-racing-36/thank-you-thank-you-thank-you-2658657/)

miller 10-06-2009 10:16 AM

Thank You, Thank You , Thank You

I dont really know where to begin as I am still in shock that things ended up the way they did with the way things went all weekend and the week leading up to the race.

As most know the week or so leading up to this race things were kind of hectic around the shop and If you want you can read just a fraction of what happened here in the greasy blocks interview. This interview was done well before the shit really hit the fan aorund the shop, lol.

http://www.greasyblocks.com/2009/09/210/#more-210

Going into this race the car was hurt and I knew I was riding on a prayer. At the last imstar race I cracked the exhust port and when that happened the water cracked the egt probe off in that cylinder and took out a good amount of the turbine wheel. All of that is one swoop. I took the exhaust manifold off the car along with tearing the turbo down and found all of this early last week. I started the car up with no header on it and watched the water just seep though the crack in the head into the exhuast port. Like I said, riding on a prayer. There just wasnt enough time to fix it and I knew what was about to start happening come wensday morning when all of the guys from out of town would start to arrive. So the car went back together and I would just soften up the tune up a little to hopefully limp through the rounds.

Fast forward to qual #1 saturday morning, went through the water box and did the burnout and the car felt like it never felt before. Pulling to the right and I knew for sure something was wrong when I was pulling into the beams as I kept having to correct to the left. So I just let it ride and once I hit 3rd gear oh boy was I in for a ride. But I knew the car was hurt and figured I would just ride it out as my plan the whole time was to make one qualifier and hopefully qualify in the top spot. Well that worked out good so I was psyched about that and it gave me time to figure out what the hell else was wrong with the car. Not only did I have issues but now I had driveline/alignment issues I have not had at all this season. The car is always on rails and goes so straight. Now at the biggest race of the season shit starts to act up, go figure.

Well we get the car back to the pits and start to look over the car and realize that the ball and cage inside the drivers side axle came out and apart. The only thing I can think is when I came around the wall to approach the bridge I turned the wheel too much and it pulled the axle apart. So we get it back together and I am off to make my rounds of pulling logs and checking up on all my teammates. I finally return around 1.30am after the bbq was done and most have turned it in for the night to finally pull my log and see how bad that pass actaully was. Well coolant pressure was higher then it has ever been and the g meters told me how bad that pass really was.

I fired the car up and drove it through the pits around 2.30 am and the car seemed to go straight but I wasnt sure at this time.

First round I make an easy pass and the car seems to pull to the right still so once again I am left scratchin my damn head. I get the car back in the pits and we start measuring suspension parts going over every nut and bolt in the suspesnion and find nothing. I tried something new with the pre-load on the suspension and at this point it is the only thing I have changed other then ride height I raised the car in the front a .5". So we get the car on stands and pull all the preload out of the back suspension and figure that has to be the issue becasue everythign else is fine. Now Like 5 hours later which felt like forever we get called for round 2. We are in the lanes and we push the car forward after we get the call to come and the wheel got turned a little too much and the axle ball and cage pop out in the damn lanes. So now we are on a mad thrash to fix it right in the lanes. Back and forth to the pits to get tools and other misc things and I hear them going down the track. Well PJ (paul pero) got the ball and cage back in with having to pull the axle and I got sutied up and in the car before it was even off the jack stands. No alxe boots and no time to kill we went flying up to the lanes and Danny Smith waited for me. Thanks again Danny. That was great. I cant thank you enough.

On that second round against Danny smith I was for sure that all issues with the car going straight were figured out and of course they werent so there I was again wheeling the shit out the car to keep it off the wall and center line. Back to the pits and now I am super lost, no time to figure it out and no time time to even think about it. I have Reynolds next and that ****er always seems to go a .00x or atleast an .0xx light against me so I know I have my work cut out for me. I know Chris and Jeremy are on top of their game keeping that car in perfect condition so I know its gonna be a battle.

Once again against Johnathan he leaves on me, no shock there and I am wheeling the shit out of the car and sneak by another round win.

Back to the pits once again and the coolant pressure is bad. Crank case pressure isnt good at all, sitting on the limiter in 3rd gear for over .4x of a second in the 3rd at 45lbs of boost will do that to an engine rather quick. I was affraid to pull my hand off the wheel to shift and I was locking my left elbow to my ribcage all weekend so I could make the 3/4 shift without losing control of the car.

I know what just happened behind me as I saw Cunha go through the traps with smoke everywhere and I know we are both hurt. I wasnt sure how bad he was hurt but I knew that smoke wasnt a good sign so I just did my normal routine and said screw it. Its the finals let it eat and thats what I did.

When we came under that bridge with both of us being pushed I knew he knew I was hurt and I knew he was hurt and the offical tried 3 times to get both of us to start and move forward and I was waiting for him to start and I am sure he was doing the same for me. After 3 times I knew it had to be bad that he didnt want to start it so I decided to just let it ride and hold on.

Once we both came to the line and I saw the smoke out of his up-pipe once he came up on the chip I knew he was hurt worse then me and that distracted the hell out of me. I know I am no Jeggy on the tree but I am not usally that bad. .3xx jeeeezzzzz that was horrible. I just let it ride and hoped for the best and well it all worked out as you most know.

I want to thank everyone from the shop for the help, Bill, Ehren, Tom, Greg and PJ. You guys are a great.

I would like to also thank everyone who made this race possible. Brian Ballard you are the ****ing man, good luck on your honey moon. ;) I am sure you will get your chance to crack my ass again.

OGS and Roger, thanks again for helping get the crowd in the stands. Did everyone see that crowd for the semi's. Jeeeeeezzzz that was sick.

All of the teams who helped out this weekend, 1320 racing you guys are great. Nesto I am gonna pack you and take you to all the races with me. You are hilarious.

Shawn Ramey and the Ramey built crew, you guys are great. We are going testing soon again and we will get it all sorted out.

Danny Smith, Gary and the spec clutch crew thanks for the ideas on the suspension and the help checking the alignment at the track.

Everyone else who helped out in any way from Tommy Berdet and the whole Delware crew to Rob Mapps and his Pops. Also thanks to Ed and Steve from Force fed for the european alxe expertise help, :P. lol.

Thanks to my Pops for keeping everyone filled up on food and beer and yes Brian I am glad he had your root beer for you. We even had Miller Lite for those floridians but they didnt make it so next time.

A big thanks to all of the companies who supported us with bounities. Without companies like that we wouldnt have races like this. Thanks goes out to

Borg Warner turbo systems
Vibrant Perforamance
Spec Clutch
Cisco's Performance Center
Import DPS
N2MB.COM
Avid racing
Bullhead gears
TSL2K4.COM
Speed Theory
Hondata
Outlawzz Racing
Injector Dynamics
Cp pistons
Supertech
Absolute pro formance
Justince racing engines
Tempest racing
Full-race motorsports
Precision fabrication
NYCE1'S .com
Raceway Park
OGS
Grs
Exospeed

I want to thank all the competitiors who came out for this race. The better the competition gets the more fun it is. Fernando ****in Cunha, big :thumbup::thumbup: to you and you crew, you guys are doing it. It was great to give the crowd and tri-state battle for the finals. Ill see you guys at world cup.

Thanks to z10 for the best sleeved blocks in the industry, i beat the hell out if it and they hold up great.

I am sorry If i forgot anyone but to eveyone out there, support the companies that support us.

A big thanks to all of my customers who came out and supported us and support us from day to day with your business over the years. To the ones who have stood by me over the years I say thank you.

I am really sorry If I missed anyone but I am still over whelmed.

Thanks also to all my freinds and family who made it out thank you. To my brothers,Brian and David thanks for coming out and partying. Brian thanks for helping Dad out with the food and all and Dave thanks for doing security detail. Love you guys. Thanks to my brother from another mother Anthony G. I love you bro, thanks for being there on your bday.

A ****in HUGE I mean Huge thanks to my wife Kristin for dealing with me the last month to get ready for this race. Thank you again. I love you.

Sorry it is so long but this was just off the top of my head and I will never forget the weeks leading to this race and the weekend of this race for as long as I live.

Autoworks 10-06-2009 10:22 AM

Re: Thank You, Thank You , Thank You

:thumbup: that was like a well written TV episode

Congrats on the win, and a bigger congrats on helping others.

s2kfromhell 10-06-2009 10:43 AM

congrats!

ahobbs 10-06-2009 10:44 AM

:beer:

Allmotor1102 10-06-2009 10:51 AM

Congratulations on the win!

T4eg 10-06-2009 10:53 AM

congrats man! you guys earned it

96 GSR-T 10-06-2009 10:53 AM

Let her eat....lol

Congrads :thumbup:

roadracer4life 10-06-2009 10:54 AM

you guys are living the dream i hope you realize that now instead of 10 years down the road..

-Sam

MARC P 10-06-2009 10:56 AM

:thumbup: to Miller-you are one dedicated mofo!!!!!!

Congrats on the win

Marc P

ShawnR 10-06-2009 11:03 AM

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thum bup::thumbup::thumbup:

BrownDx 10-06-2009 11:29 AM

It was all amazing to watch. These outlaw races are awesome. Every one put on an awesome show. Congratulations and thanks.:thumbup:

H22JEFFREY 10-06-2009 11:30 AM

congrats!! once again well worth the drive to go see you guys run.......

Enzo-Racing 10-06-2009 11:46 AM

Congrats... Good Race...

JO TECH 10-06-2009 11:47 AM

Congrats

P-CRIDER 10-06-2009 11:49 AM

CONGRATS ON EVERYTHING

rota92 10-06-2009 11:50 AM

Congrats Miller, you guys deserved it :thumbup: Awesome hard work on everyones behalf, I can't imagine those weeks leading up to the race lol

h22 civic 10-06-2009 11:54 AM

Good job!

URBANRACER 10-06-2009 11:58 AM

Good job, Great Weekend.

jun

d16z6Tcrx 10-06-2009 12:03 PM

congrats miller and all the NRG-Tech crew on the win. you guys have worked so hard to be able to get ready for this race and im glad it paid off.

I arrived at the race on sunday morning and Miller was the first person i seen. i walked up to him and said wassup and he asked me "wheres your car?" i told him it wasnt ready for the event and he seemed kinda down that i didnt bring it. so he says "Ive got 21 cars here im working on, i could have helped you out" i was blown away. the most important race of the season that not only he is a part of but he's reaching out and helping people and welcoming more. that says alot about a person and even better a buisness. congrats again chis.

Allan DP 10-06-2009 12:08 PM

miller you are the man !!!!!!!! congrats

E-Town4229 10-06-2009 12:21 PM

congrats chris. you may be a dick and a royal PITA but you deserved the win. not just for having the car to beat but you drove your ass off against the toughest guys the class has and all the racers you helped leading up to the race was just good karma for you. props to you and the team. :hugs:
-Roger

narfdanarf 10-06-2009 12:25 PM

If ever there was a real life super hero.

Mark Morris 10-06-2009 12:28 PM

Good job Chris-- that story sums-up racing. The effects of sleep deprivation only last a week or two, the stories last forever, ha ha. Work on that beard and go for 8.49.

cpl racing 10-06-2009 12:45 PM

Well done Chris gutted we could not be there this year.

AllMoToRB18c 10-06-2009 12:45 PM

Awesome job this weekend Miller and congrats. Its such a awesome feeling. I think its pretty funny that both winners of the all motor shootout and turbo outlaw have wives named Kristin with the same spelling:P...I know Im a dork hahah

NRG Tech:thumbup: