Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Suggestions Needed: Drag Race Purpose Turbo GSR Tranmission Options

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Suggestions Needed: Drag Race Purpose Turbo GSR Tranmission Options

Just trying to hear some opinions on a high horsepower gsr turbo setup. Plan to make about 800 for the track and 500 for the streets. My idea for the transmission was the Mfactory long first gear 3.07, MFactory LSD, TypeR 2,3,4, LS 5, and 1-5 carbon synchros. Just wanted to hear opinions and others setups. Goal is high 9's at track.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts
Default Re: Suggestions Needed: Drag Race Purpose Turbo GSR Tranmission Options

800whp at the track you will break stock gears. Once I got to the 800whp range I went with Liberty Face Plated gears 1-4 and Liberty 5th gear cuff. It did pretty well but ended up breaking my Final Drive, bell housing and second gear. From there I just decided to go with a PPG gear set.

800whp track duty is hard on stock gears, there was another guy on here who would go through stock gears every even he would basically break 4th gear.
The following users liked this post:
Old 07-18-2017, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my current setup is making 800 right now. lets see how long my tranny holds
Old 07-19-2017, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

If it's a street car, really your only option is the Albin's semi-helical set with your choice of 5th gear. MFactory helical LSD, SF SCHA. If it's in your budget I would also run a billet clutch housing.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

save yourself a ton of headaches and disappointment and do a dog box with reinforced bell housing.

At around 800whp and we've sheared an input shaft, destroyed a final drive, shredded second gear and lost 4th on the dyno...In less than a dozen passes not to mention the 3 dss 3.9s that joined them in the box of shame.

GSR trans, Cm 725 twin disk, quaffe lsd, carbon syncros, Cncwerx 5th gear cuff. 2475lb integra
Old 07-24-2017, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dog isn't a realistic option for the street unless you don't mind spending a lot of money every time you round the dogs.
The following users liked this post:
Old 07-24-2017, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aquafina
Dog isn't a realistic option for the street unless you don't mind spending a lot of money every time you round the dogs.
PPG claims you can street drive with their dog box, they have videos saying they have cars that have drove 30k plus miles with no issues.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can street drive on any dog box, but it isn't realistic to say you can do it reliably.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mfactory Pro synchro gears are good. Well, they're made by Infinitude now, but that still a part of Mfactory. Those gears are rated to 750whp, but lots of people make a lot more. Including Mfactory. They were putting 950whp through them, no issues.
The only kicker is, they are straight cut and make a lot of noise. Which you would get from a dog box anyways unless you went with Albin's. I use them and have been for several years. But I am using a billet housing and 5th gear cuff. Which makes everything stronger.
I want to make a few other points on this real quick. These gears aren't exactly cheap. You can buy them as a set 1-4 and it cost about $2800 and the Pro series final drive is separate and runs about $900. That's still cheaper than any dog box.
But a great thing is, you can also buy these gears separately. As 1-2 and 3-4 gear sets.
And last, the more power you make, the more maintenance. You go through synchros a quicker. That is one thing Mfactory warned me about. They said they put 950 through them with absolutely no issues except they had to change the synchro rings more often.
Its good for the price because they still handle a lot of power and because they are still synchro engagement which makes them perfect for the street. But depending on how often you use them at the track with a lot of power, you may go through more synchro rings.

Last edited by hondaracing84; 07-26-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good post. ill be at 600-750 on my ef for now and only have a stock trans with lsd right now
Old 07-26-2017, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondaracing84
Mfactory Pro synchro gears are good. Well, they're made by Infinitude now, but that still a part of Mfactory. Those gears are rated to 750whp, but lots of people make a lot more. Including Mfactory. They were putting 950whp through them, no issues.
The only kicker is, they are straight cut and make a lot of noise. Which you would get from a dog box anyways .
MFactory was originally named Infinitude. They changed their name to MFactory and brought back the Infinitude name to sell discontinued products through.

Dog is a type of engagement and only makes noise when shifting or while on and off the throttle. The only time a gear will make a noise while driving is if its semi-helical or straight cut. Semi-helical is a light whine and straight cut is a whine.

Just clearing that up for everyone reading.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

MFactory was originally named Infinitude. They changed their name to MFactory and brought back the Infinitude name to sell discontinued products through.

Dog is a type of engagement and only makes noise when shifting or while on and off the throttle. The only time a gear will make a noise while driving is if its semi-helical or straight cut. Semi-helical is a light whine and straight cut is a whine.

Just clearing that up for everyone reading.
Yes, that is correct as far as the name goes. I didn't feel that it was necessary to go into detail that the name was infinitude first, then mfactory and then infinitude was brought back to sell the discontinued parts while mfactory still operates. I didn't feel it was relevant to the conversation. Just that the Pro synchro gears are sold by infinitude. that's all that needs to be known.

And the noise I was referring to was the straight cut whine, not any engagement noise. Otherwise I would have said that. And when I say dog box, Im just referring to a type of gear set with dog engagement vs a gear set with synchro. Just like everyone else who mentioned "dog box" in the above replies. So when I say "you would get that from a dog box anyways" Im referring to the straight cut noise. Im not sure where the confusion came from.

Which brings me to my next point, I see that you changed my quote added a period at the end of "you would get from a dog box anyways..." to make it look like the sentence ended there. What it actually continued to say was "...unless you went with Albin's" Which anyone who knows gears knows Albin's is semi-helical and that would reduce the noise "whine" that I was referring to. Which you already know that.

Im not trying to start a fight here, but don't change my quote and attempt to "school" me on things I already know just to make yourself look better or smarter.

And on top of that, I don't know why you had to pick out my reply and attack it, I agreed with you. Dog box is not a realistic solution for the street. That is why I recommended the Pro synchro gears.

Last edited by hondaracing84; 07-27-2017 at 06:42 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would honestly look into PPG gear sets and take a look at their website. They have street cars on their gear sets that daily drive them and they do a good job explaining and showing videos of how it works. Honestly if it was me I wouldn't be trying to daily and drag race an 800whp car anyways. However if it is going to hit the streets for just a little fun and not dedicated daily driver going through tons of traffic on a daily I would invest in PPG and the Liberty Billet Housing.

That is just my opinion though. I know guys who have used Liberty, Albins and Mfactory and those guys who have moved to PPG would never go back.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondaracing84
Yes, that is correct as far as the name goes. I didn't feel that it was necessary to go into detail that the name was infinitude first, then mfactory and then infinitude was brought back to sell the discontinued parts while mfactory still operates. I didn't feel it was relevant to the conversation. Just that the Pro synchro gears are sold by infinitude. that's all that needs to be known.

And the noise I was referring to was the straight cut whine, not any engagement noise. Otherwise I would have said that. And when I say dog box, Im just referring to a type of gear set with dog engagement vs a gear set with synchro. Just like everyone else who mentioned "dog box" in the above replies. So when I say "you would get that from a dog box anyways" Im referring to the straight cut noise. Im not sure where the confusion came from.

Which brings me to my next point, I see that you changed my quote

And on top of that, I don't know why you had to pick out my reply and attack it, I agreed with you.
I didn't change your quote, I cut some of it out to reduce clutter. I also didn't attack you. Not everyone reading knows about gear sets, so someone might read what your wrote and assume that dog or synchro dictates noise. The name part is relevant as you said the PRO gears are made by Infinitude now. That is incorrect. They are MFactory gears (they were never made when the Infinitude name was originally being used) that are discontinued and being sold under the Infinitude brand. People do need to know that as Infinitude has not been around for a decade now and most people have never heard of it.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:47 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I didn't change your quote, I cut some of it out to reduce clutter. I also didn't attack you. Not everyone reading knows about gear sets, so someone might read what your wrote and assume that dog or synchro dictates noise. The name part is relevant as you said the PRO gears are made by Infinitude now. That is incorrect. They are MFactory gears (they were never made when the Infinitude name was originally being used) that are discontinued and being sold under the Infinitude brand. People do need to know that as Infinitude has not been around for a decade now and most people have never heard of it.
Thanks for the clarification Aquafina. Learned something new today. From an outside point of view, I didn't view this as an attack at all.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, perhaps it wasn't an attack. Regardless, the quote was cut and made it seem I said less than I actually did, which changes what I said entirely. That's what needs to be understood.
And I still don't think it was necessary to go into detail on the name changes. Whether its made by mfactory or infinitude is irrelevant when all you need to know is you need to look under infinitude in order to find it. I just wanted that to be known. If you go to the mfactory website, if you don't know its under infinitude, you wont find them. Perhaps it was my mistake for using the words "made by" and I should have just said "branded by".

Anyways, back to the subject at hand. The Pro synchro gears by Mfactory/Infinitude are great. I stand by them. But there are other options like Albins synchro gears. Those would be good if you're looking to reduce noise since they are helical. But if you're okay with rev matching when downshifting, then a dog box is a better option. I guess that is all I have left to say.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The problem with straight cut gears in a street car is they spread without a cuff. Running a 1.111 4th gear with a cuff is not very street friendly. Neither is gear spread without a cuff. With the latter he'll at a minimum be replacing the top CSB very frequently.

I don't recommend the PRO gears for his setup and intended usage.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The problem with straight cut gears in a street car is they spread without a cuff. Running a 1.111 4th gear with a cuff is not very street friendly. Neither is gear spread without a cuff. With the latter he'll at a minimum be replacing the top CSB very frequently.

I don't recommend the PRO gears for his setup and intended usage.
I agree. That was my fear too when going with the Pro gears. But mine was a very limited drive around town and primarily track usage and 5th gear wasn't needed. So I went with the cuff and billet housing. Now its drag only. So if he doesn't mind not having a 5th gear and using a cuff.
Or going with the Albins synchro gear set, its helical, so that would reduce gear spread.