Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

roll cage question? back seats?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: roll cage question? back seats?

you will need the rocker panel bar that the d bars connect to. i didn't have them the first time i went to see him and i had to go back. this bar is to keep the car from caving inwards. you need it because it will be safer
Old 01-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Built Block
ok well I've been reading this thread and my brother and I are gonna do my cage, but I dont know where to get one from. Im building a T/S car so I want a 10 point. if i can get a cage kit where all the bars are already notched that would be great.
If you are going to buy a kit, kenskustomchassis is the best. it comes pre-notched, but you will still have to fit it.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by yellowrocco87
it would really help us if you would be willing to swing by one night/day in your free time and give us some pointers. your location says your in the dena and we're building this cage at MBS i'm pretty sure you've bought some stuff from us in the past
Ah cool yes I could do that. PM a time when your there. I'm right around the corner. I know what will pass tech in this area.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotypeR@SPEC
If you are going to buy a kit, kenskustomchassis is the best. it comes pre-notched, but you will still have to fit it.
thanks ill check it out
Old 01-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is there any work around for a retro fit, like c notching the rocker bar into the existing d bars? my d bars go to a 6 x12 plate in the center.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SPOOLINmatt
is there any work around for a retro fit, like c notching the rocker bar into the existing d bars? my d bars go to a 6 x12 plate in the center.
Look at my pics on page 3. Mine went to two 6x6 plates originally. I cut and notched the d bars and added the rocker bar.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look at my pics on page 3. Mine went to two 6x6 plates originally. I cut and notched the d bars and added the rocker bar.
is the bar sitting on the center console? What keeps the center of the bar from caving? what did you use to notch a bar already welded and in the car??
Old 01-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have one more question about this
Is this legal for drag racing? I know NRG tech did it but is it legal to bend the plate around the tunnel like this? this would be much easyer than the other ways i have been told to do it. Cause my rockers dont have much room to work with

I have this to work with.

Thanks guys
Old 01-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the other option for you is to run the bar across like turbotyper@spec posted that the d-bars are supposed to go to, then you won't have to worry about were the 6x6 plates go.

i just got the 2010 nhra rule book and it does state that there needs to be a bar going across from sill to sill to run the d-bars to.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SPOOLINmatt
is the bar sitting on the center console? What keeps the center of the bar from caving? what did you use to notch a bar already welded and in the car??
The bar is not sitting on the center hump. The d bars support it to the hoop. Why would you think the center of the bar would cave in? It is much stronger than the d bars going to the floor. I cut the d bars off with a cut off wheel on an angle grinder and then grinded the notches with a flapper wheel on the angle grinder. My angle grinder gets alot of use.LOL
It was a pain in the ***!
Old 01-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97VRT
I have one more question about this
Is this legal for drag racing? I know NRG tech did it but is it legal to bend the plate around the tunnel like this? this would be much easyer than the other ways i have been told to do it. Cause my rockers dont have much room to work with

I have this to work with.

Thanks guys
It is perfectly legal to bend the plate however you have to to make it fit the floor. However, according to the chassis book, these bars that come to this plate must be mounted to a bar going across the car and conecting to the rocker panels as I posted earlier in this thread. Some people have been passing cert this way, but it is because the tech is overlooking it. Just go ahead and put it in there. that way, you don't have to worry about it.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Reason im making a big deal out of this is i really don't think i can make room for a 6x6 plate on my rocker. Does it have to be 6x6?
Old 01-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it is supposed to be 6x6, but you can bend it to fit the floor. Something like mine:
Old 01-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fukenricen
one of the shops i deal with is sponsoring it and they have a guy they use to make it.
must be nice to get sponsored, i guess its hard when you don't deal with shops though.

Steve Lecours @ 1-905-665-8006.
above is the contact info for the nhra inspector for our area (toronto)
below is contact for our division tech director
Ryck Campbell rcampbell@nhra.com
Old 01-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow.... new info for me here, too, as well. the cross-rocker bar.

now i gotta go cut some **** out!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Edited as the inspector and i apparently were not on the same page..... i have another call in to him. i think maybe i just need to schedule him to look at it in person.

but adding this bar would not be easy by any means in my instance.

Last edited by cartunescivic; 01-16-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks like my Audi driving *** is here by myself now, but FWIW here is the wording for this:

Originally Posted by interwebz
"D" bar installation for full-bodied cars:

For front-wheel-drive cars, with complete OEM floor (from the firewall to the rear of the trunk) and rocker/sill boxes, the 1 1/4-inch x .058-inch CM (.118-inch MS) "D" bars (when required; i.e., when the main hoop is not welded to the frame) may be welded to a 1 5/8-inch x .083-inch CM (.118-inch MS) crossmember welded to the rocker/sill box via conventional 6-inch x 6-inch x 1/8-inch-thick plates. For rear-wheel-drive cars, with neither a frame nor subframe connectors, but with complete OEM floor (from the firewall to the rear of the trunk; exception: the rear inner wheelwells may be tubbed with steel or aluminum) and rocker/sill boxes, the 1 1/4-inch x .058-inch CM (.118-inch MS) "D" bars may be welded to conventional 6-inch x 6-inch x 1/8-inch plates attached to the driveshaft tunnel.

Originally Posted by interwebz
Roll Cage:

Open-bodied cars running 9.99 and quicker and/or faster than 135 mph must meet applicable SFI Specification for e.t. (see Class Requirements). Full-bodied cars running 8.49 and quicker and/or exceeding 180 mph must meet applicable SFI Specification for e.t. and weight (see Class Requirements). SFI Specifications may be purchased from the SFI Foundation (sfifoundation.com, (858) 451-8868); SFI Specifications are not available from NHRA Technical Services.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can run the rocker bars first, then mount the main hoop on top of the rocker bar. That saves from welding 2 extra plates.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nonvtecallmotor
You can run the rocker bars first, then mount the main hoop on top of the rocker bar. That saves from welding 2 extra plates.
This is correct. Mine was done like that in the pics because I did it wrong and had to add the bar. If I were to do it over, I would have had the hoop on the rocker bar. Cool thing is, I can still use the rocker bar for my 25.5 cage I am working on now. All I have to do is add a small bar to connect the rocker bar and main hoop.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is correct. Mine was done like that in the pics because I did it wrong and had to add the bar. If I were to do it over, I would have had the hoop on the rocker bar. Cool thing is, I can still use the rocker bar for my 25.5 cage I am working on now. All I have to do is add a small bar to connect the rocker bar and main hoop.
Mine is done the same as yours. I had my car done as a 5 point first. I didnt plan on going this fast.....

When I decided to do the 10 point I wanted to make sure I did it right so I spoke with an NHRA cert guy before I did it.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nonvtecallmotor
not if your cage is done and built to last years spec. mine is done, including the sill bars from hoop to a-pillar uprights. that is whats fooking me from doing this bar.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HamiltonRex
must be nice to get sponsored, i guess its hard when you don't deal with shops though.

Steve Lecours @ 1-905-665-8006.
above is the contact info for the nhra inspector for our area (toronto)
below is contact for our division tech director
Ryck Campbell rcampbell@nhra.com
thanks for the details
Old 09-18-2012, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i want to put a roll cage in my coupe and keep the back seats? and its a 4 point so would it work? its an ek