Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Precision Vs Tial Wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Precision Vs Tial Wastegate

I've had good success with all there other products, it just seems like the 38mvs have an issue holding the boost. I would use the tial 44's or the 60's , just haven't had luck with the 38 mvs .
Old 06-18-2011, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only had one Chinese WG, an XO2Racing adjustable 44mm one. I didn't have any issues with the diaphragm either, but the valve only had about half as much travel as it really needed to control boost well. When I switched to a TiAL 44, I had MUCH better boost control, that I suspect is only from that valve opening a sufficient amount.

Separate from that issue though, there is simply a much higher level of fit and finish on the TiAL that makes it seem that it's longevity will be several times as long as the Chinese one. The metallurgy is probably miles ahead too. I think this is one of the cases where you truly do get your money's worth when you buy a TiAL WG.

Oh, and that's not even to mention that TiAL is here to help when you have a problem with one of their products. It's really a pretty simple decision as far as TiAl versus Chinese wastegates. Now the question for me is whether the Precision WG lands over toward the TiAl end of the spectrum, or more toward the Chinese end.

FWIW, I suspect the Precision gate is made in China. I've made noise in several places across the internet to see if I could get anyone to say one way or the other, and I can't. To me that adds up to MADE IN CHINA.

I really like my Precision 6265 turbo, but for all I know that might be made in China, or have components that are. I'd just like to know, that's all...
Old 06-18-2011, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tjabo
To me that adds up to MADE IN CHINA.
I feel the same way and believe you are right.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the precision wastegate looks like a solid product, the Tial wastegate is a garrett product and garrett stands by their products unlike the other. I just recently upgrade to a twin scroll manifold with dual 44 wastegate and I ended up buying a used tial v44(discontinued) that cost more than a new PTE wastegate, but I rather deal with a company that support their mistakes than one that blame it on the customer.

next concern I have is if its 46mm and uses a 44mm flange is it a real 46mm? I've seen them in person but never measure the outlet/inlet.

I hate to say it but if I have to buy 2 new gates I would buy the PTE even though I don't like the company, I guess tial need to redesign their product to compete with PTE. my suggestion would be the flange share the same flange with the 38,44,46 and higher. maybe discontinue the 38mm, and add competetive prive for a better product.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rudebwoy
the Tial wastegate is a garrett product and garrett stands by their products unlike the other.
Why do you say this? I think TiAl makes at least some or many of their products right here in good ole' Michigan. I'm not sure what link to Garrett you're talking about???

Next concern I have is if its 46mm and uses a 44mm flange is it a real 46mm? I've seen them in person but never measure the outlet/inlet.
This is an interesting point, because it's not necessarily true that the 46mm valve (if it truly is 46, but why would they really say it if it wasn't true, it's too easy to check), that the 46mm valve will flow more unless the volume and I.D. of the body is designed appropriately. In other words, a larger valve in the same body will probably flow less because there is less flow area around the valve then.

Basically, someone needs to throw these suckers on a flow bench and see what is up! If someone wants to send me a Precision, I'll back-to-back it with my TiAl 44 at the local race engine shop that has a superflow flow bench. It'll cost a little bit for time on the bench, but that will just be my little contribution to Honda-Tech.

I hate to say it but if I have to buy 2 new gates I would buy the PTE even though I don't like the company, I guess tial need to redesign their product to compete with PTE. my suggestion would be the flange share the same flange with the 38,44,46 and higher. maybe discontinue the 38mm, and add competetive prive for a better product.
You kind of lost me with this part??? Other than the price, are you saying there's something else better about the Precision gate?
Old 06-19-2011, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I purchased 2 TiAL MVRs, high quality indeed! They came with ALL available springs and have ports for water cooling. Made in good ole USA, but what sealed the deal for me was their overall height. Really helped in squeezing the top mount divided T4 setup in my 240sx's cramped bay!

TiAL all the way! Now I hope my billet 6765 doesn't crap out on me so soon
Old 06-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tjabo if you were going to test the tial mvs 38 and the precision 39, I'd send you a precision unit to test out. I don't really see a huge difference in the 44 or 46 units, I could take some measurements if anyone really was interested to see if it was a 46.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got this response from Precision on facebook.

All PTE products are designed, inspected, and assembled at our facility in Hebron, Indiana. While a small number of our parts are globally sourced, many of the components for our products are manufactured and machined at our facility. This allows us to stay competitive in the marketplace, all while bringing you a top of the line product at an affordable price. Hope this helps to clear up any confusion!
Old 06-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I truly am a fan of Precision (not just TiAl like it might appear), but that is a really vague statement. I almost wish they hadn't said anything...

Originally Posted by 90blackcrx
Tjabo if you were going to test the tial mvs 38 and the precision 39, I'd send you a precision unit to test out. I don't really see a huge difference in the 44 or 46 units, I could take some measurements if anyone really was interested to see if it was a 46.
Bob, have you tried the 46 and 44mm units on the same setup? That really is the proof in the pudding.

As far as the 38 and 39, thanks for the offer, but I only have 44mm stuff.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the precision wastegate looks like a solid product, the Tial wastegate is a garrett product and garrett stands by their products unlike the other. I just recently upgrade to a twin scroll manifold with dual 44 wastegate and I ended up buying a used tial v44(discontinued) that cost more than a new PTE wastegate, but I rather deal with a company that support their mistakes than one that blame it on the customer.

next concern I have is if its 46mm and uses a 44mm flange is it a real 46mm? I've seen them in person but never measure the outlet/inlet.

TiAL wastegates are not Garrett products

it's a 'mine is larger than yours' thing, problem is they didn't think things through...a larger valve on the same flange and body creates more of a restriction of air flow....so the larger valve flows less and is more prone to affects of backpressure

We've done testing on many 'quality' wastegates and it's pretty sad when a knockoff MV-S (vid below) lasted longer than these 'quality' wastegates
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlpuTHlIkKQ
Old 06-21-2011, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TiAL
TiAL wastegates are not Garrett products

it's a 'mine is larger than yours' thing, problem is they didn't think things through...a larger valve on the same flange and body creates more of a restriction of air flow....so the larger valve flows less and is more prone to affects of backpressure
Have you guys tested these on a flow bench, or just on cars?
Old 06-21-2011, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you guys tested these on a flow bench, or just on cars?
for flow it's the latest CFD software
for stress testing it's the unit in the vid above....which is still quite tame (no vibration, nothing else around radiating heat etc...we can adjust the egt's ambient wind speed, cyclic rate, boost pressure. we take temp readings from inside the top of the unit, the casting temp and the discharge temp. We test our units at about 2050*F

as far as flow testing goes, one of the mentioned units in this thread is nothing more than a copy of our original V44 casting, so at best it would be a little less than current taking nothing else into account
Old 06-21-2011, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool, thanks!

Followup question, does the new 44mm unit flow more than the V44?
Old 06-21-2011, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool, thanks!

Followup question, does the new 44mm unit flow more than the V44?
same, it's the same design as the latest (second revision V44)
Old 06-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bob, have you tried the 46 and 44mm units on the same setup? That really is the proof in the pudding.
Not yet, but I'm pretty sure that either a 44 or 46 would correct the problem.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a precision on my new setup and it works great so far. Holds boost down to 7 psi, with a ramhorn and billet 6262 .82 a/r housing.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tial hands down! Best customer service also!
Had a diaphragm in my wg go out and sent it in to em and got it taken care of!
Old 06-22-2011, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tial units hand down. I've used a few Precision units and noticed that their springs/pressure chart is not accurate at all. On 2 seaparate ocasions, on a 39mm and 46mm Precision units, I have to run a 7psi spring to keep the boost under 20 psi without boost controller.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:14 PM
OG Fabricator

And I supose u put tials on those exact setups and fixed the problem?
Old 06-23-2011, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdm inc
Tial hands down! Best customer service also!
Had a diaphragm in my wg go out and sent it in to em and got it taken care of!
exactly!

and quote my defense that Tial was a Garrett company, my reason were because the last time I bought tial products from a Garrett dealer they all came in individual Garrett boxes.

and I retract my last statement, I would stick with tial all the way, will never replace it a PTE.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Evo1
And I supose u put tials on those exact setups and fixed the problem?
problem?
Old 06-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When I informed Tial of my (New at the time- like 1500 miles) 44s diaphram shitting the bed a few years ago( I bought 2 brand new), they didnt do **** for me... That being said, I still run them. The Precision wasnt available.. I would DEFINATELY not be afraid to though. 1 bit... few local street cars making big power with 0 issues

Really comes down to whatever choice you want to make. Glad to hear Tial steped up for someone, they did nothing but blame me.. Which I found funny as the WG had NEVER been apart.. bit the bullet and BOUGHT a NEW diaphram for something that was OBVIOUSLY a factory defect.

Not to "bash" them, i run their stuff still, but to dismiss the PTE as a bad choice is silly... Then again, this IS HT

;O)

Note: Funny thing is My T04ZR (garrett obviously) came in a Tial box... LOL
Old 06-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive probably got 10-15 hits down our local eighth mile track, and not one problem. I never had a problem when I used tial stuff, but when we put in the new set up, we went with precision for everything we could. Injectors wastegate and turbo. I wont ever buy a non precision turbo.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wondering if there is anymore new comparisons tested since it been awhile...