Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Precision Vs Tial Wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Precision Vs Tial Wastegate

When precision released their new 46mm Wastegate, we were asked by our clients to do a side by side comparison with the Tial 44mm, you are probably wondering, why not against the Tial 46mm?? and the reason is because even though Tial makes a 46mm, it is the 44mm that has the same mounting flange as Precision’s therefore if you have a header with that mounting flange already on it the decision would be between the Tial 44mm and the Precision 46mm. Below is the observations we were able to make by taking them apart, and comparing their internals.

To begin lets lay out the facts, Tial is a 44mm Wastegate that comes in a multitude of colors and we sell them for $450 to the public HERE. Precision’s has a bit of a larger valve 46mm, and it is only available in black and we retail it to the public for $314.10 Found in HERE. So let’s begin with the photos.

Boxes are the same size and they both come packed with the same foam material that completely protects every part from damage during shipping.

Below are the contents of the boxes the way they come, the clear difference is that the Precision comes with 3 extra springs in the box, that way you have the possibility to replace them without having to make a separate order for them.

As for the hardware, both have the banjo design, but the Precision brings an extra plug in case you don’t use one of the ports of the Wastegate and the Tial doesn’t have this in their hardware.

When side by side they look very similar, however the Precision unit is a bit smaller in height compared to the Tial,

The underside again is the same basic design, however you can see how the valve in the precision is a little bit larger (2mm) than the Tial unit

Once apart, the precision comes standard with 2 springs, and the seat materials are visibly different, I ‘m not qualified to give a breakdown on the materials, however the structure of the seat itself is the same, and even though is hard to tell from the pictures they both use a 4 Allen key setup to hold the seat to the valve itself.

Internally the main difference is Precision uses a longer sleeve to hold the stem of the valve

And last but not least the literature. Precision comes with a multi page full color instruction’s manual, Tial half a letter size paper printed in both sides.

Hope this can help you make an educated decision when in the market for a Wastegate.

Last edited by Clayton; 11-11-2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Please don't use size and color tags in regular posts
Old 11-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Precision Vs Tial Wastegate

Wow good write up!!
Old 11-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow looks like ill be replacing my 38mm with a 46mm precision unit. Im sure there customer service is great too.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my question is...may sound dumb , but can i run those 46mms on my manifold even tho my manifold has 44mm outlets?
Old 11-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sheepey
my question is...may sound dumb , but can i run those 46mms on my manifold even tho my manifold has 44mm outlets?
Yes you can, I had a Tial 44mm & I swap for the Precision 46mm. It bolts right on!

Really nice piece, I love mine

Fernando @ CFT
Old 11-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I also had the pleasure of seeing both and would def go with the Precision unit.

Very nice write up Bottle.

I like that the Precision unit comes with extra springs.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they are nice units for sure. just ordered my two today. what springs do they come with?
Old 11-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

precision is deff the only way to roll.. nice write up. tail is old school now, lol
Old 11-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where are the matching blow off valves
Old 11-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like the price point is getting more competitive for quality wastegates.

I love my tial 44's and the only way i would ever switch is if there was a benefit with a new setup.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:55 PM

The precision comes with all the spring pressured from like 1.5 psi to 29.5 psi if i am not mistaken.

so you can change the springs out and put in what you need.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:11 PM
rota92

It def looks good, price is killer as well
Old 11-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bottle
The precision comes with all the spring pressured from like 1.5 psi to 29.5 psi if i am not mistaken.

so you can change the springs out and put in what you need.
it comes with all of the springs to do any of the normal settings between those given numbers?? thats a WHOLE lot of springs, i dont see the 3 in the pic above doing that.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice review...

whos using the precision 46mm on their setups?

personal feedbacks?
Old 11-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great write up Bottle. The casting on the Precision body it's seem not smooth as Tial but I could be wrong but not that it matter. I like the black color, smaller, cheaper and seem to be built better internally. Let the new bandwagon of wastegate begin.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SPOOLINmatt
it comes with all of the springs to do any of the normal settings between those given numbers?? thats a WHOLE lot of springs, i dont see the 3 in the pic above doing that.
Since there are 3 different spring diameters, I assume you combine different springs to make different boost pressures, just like running big and small springs in TiAL gates to get different pressures.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I likee... Hmmmmm... Id like to try them out... May have to get rid of the 44s I have currently and try them out... I like that the valve "guide" is taller in the precision and that the overall height is lower...

It does appear that they use the older tial style clamps as well though... The older 44s used the cast appearing ones and not the newer aluminum clamps... Think Id keep those if and when I get my hands on the Precisions... LOL
Old 11-12-2009, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good to see some detailed pictures of the 2 side by side. Have had no problems with my Tial v44 but good to see other options on the market.

I am curious about a couple things if anyone knows yet.

-Race gas? Leaded fuel safe valve in the Precision?
-Valve travel? With the longer sleeve guide and slightly shorter overall height, does the valve still open as much as the Tial?

I like that it includes the multiple springs to combine for different pressures. Looks like a pretty comparable piece and the price seems reasonable.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:09 AM
Pretty-n-Pink

excellent write up!
Old 11-12-2009, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bottle you guys running these on the scion?
Old 11-12-2009, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by twkdCD595
Valve travel? With the longer sleeve guide and slightly shorter overall height, does the valve still open as much as the Tial?

I like that it includes the multiple springs to combine for different pressures. Looks like a pretty comparable piece and the price seems reasonable.
That to me is the main advantage of a TiAL over a Chinese wastegate, so I also am extremely curious about this with the Precision. If it opens at least as far as a TiAL, and can therefore provide all of the gain in flow that is promised by the 46mm (apparent) size advantage, then they may be contenders.

Currently I have just a little bit of boost creep with my TiAL, that most likely is due to manifold design. However, if I was needing a different spring for the TiAL or something, I'd be tempted to try the Precision instead, and if I liked it, just sell off my TiAL and springs for about the same amount as the cost of the Precision minus the cost of a TiAL spring. . .

However, I'm kind of using the boost creep to my advantage right now, so I'm not sure I'd really like to lose that. Haha, funny concept.

Anyway, PLEASE post up some comparative pics of the valves at full open position?

Thanks for the AWESOME writeup!
Old 11-12-2009, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why would you put a plug on one side of the WG if you arent using a solenoid wouldnt you want it to release the air when being compressed instead of sealing it off.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i wish the wastegate vband clamp for the manifold side was more like a quick release with locking pin! CHANGE THAT AND IM SOLD LOL
Old 11-12-2009, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Drag_S14
Since there are 3 different spring diameters, I assume you combine different springs to make different boost pressures, just like running big and small springs in TiAL gates to get different pressures.
3 springs = 7 pressure options and thats if you can use the small spring by itself?
Old 11-12-2009, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by cotorresgee
Bottle you guys running these on the scion?
we have not changed over yet. the car is being taken apart right now to get updates on the car and work on making more power.

Quick Reply: Precision Vs Tial Wastegate