Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

New Garrett GTX-R turbos look wicked

Old 12-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New Garrett GTX-R turbos look wicked

Originally Posted by RealStreet
I know what's next up on the build sheet, when you see the next turbos come out, the statement about OE contracts will start to ring true even more.
Are you talking about the SST, or the LST stuff they've been working on? I was wondering when and if they were going to realease these..
Old 12-29-2009, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was told from a credible source that the GTX-R comp wheel is from a diesel garbage truck that goes from 0-50-0 psi in the stop/start type of driving it does. The 11 blade design was to keep noise down in the city environment, and design focused on the extreme cyclic loading the turbo is put through. Not sure what compressor wheel was being used though (94 or 102).
Old 12-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 12-29-2009, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can't see how this billet GTX 11 blade wheel was ever used for an oem application. They would've made a cast version already like all the other GT wheels. Don't forget that because there is an uneven amount of blades, you can't have the split heights like the twelve and 14 blade designs. It's as simple as, they didn't want to go with 12 blades on this wheel.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think there would be a lot more in the noise dept than many people think , after exhaust truck turbos make a lot of noise particularly on later quieter ones .

Personal guess but the fact that they work over a wide PR range tells me that they are aimed at OE Diesels . Its entirely possible that the extra 10% came from better aero/thermal performance .

I also think that the GT range could do with a bit of work on the turbine side , the 84 trim size of most GT30-40 turbines (except some 37's 40's) is a little big IMO for aftermarket use with single scroll turbine housings . Again IMO a fair bit of what can make GT3076R and GT3582R a little lazy initially could be solved with a slight reduction in trim size , they can make the GT37 and GT40 BB turbos work with a 78T turbine so why not the 76R and 82R .
I think they see total exhaust flow rather than what could made a bit more mid range usable torque with the 84T GT turbines .
Sadly what we end up with is people pulling back on turbine housing A/R size in an effort to pull back turbine response - spool .
I dunno what others think but I reckon a big trim turbine in a small A/R housing is not real good . I'd rather a slightly smaller trim turbine in a slightly larger A/R housing and gain from maybe a better expansion ratio and possibly less exhaust restriction for the turbine response .

I think the whole idea of big trim wheels in "compact" housings may have been aimed at keeping the turbocharger lighter and more compact overall . I guess less material means lower production costs so better for the manufacturer .

It would be interesting to compare the blade form of the GT4088R to these X wheels to see if the full height blades have any similarities .

Cheers A .
Old 02-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 02-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whats the deal with this turbos...are they worth the money? there were people making 900+ on the s372 even 1000hp...will this turbo outspooled, and outperform the infamous s372? for the price? s372 is like $1200, atp has this for $2500...
Old 02-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cibao2ner
whats the deal with this turbos...are they worth the money? there were people making 900+ on the s372 even 1000hp...
Really? How many people were making 1000 hp, where are they, and what turbo are they using now? I see an awful lot of BEP S372 turbos available on the forsale thread for cheap.
On the other side of the coin, I see 1100 hp from this turbo at 45 psi using e85.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NativeSon
Really? How many people were making 1000 hp, where are they, and what turbo are they using now? I see an awful lot of BEP S372 turbos available on the forsale thread for cheap.
On the other side of the coin, I see 1100 hp from this turbo at 45 psi using e85.
yea very few were making 1000 and way too many been sold...but who has made 1100whp on the garrett gtx? would like to see it..im planning on getting one but dont wann be a guine pig...

Last edited by cibao2ner; 02-12-2010 at 07:34 PM. Reason: more text
Old 02-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The 1100 is on a 74m. I think 1100 can be made with a 74mm cast gt42r. I understand that garrett will be releasing a 72mm version of this unit but I guess time will tell.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by miller
The 1100 is on a 74m. I think 1100 can be made with a 74mm cast gt42r. I understand that garrett will be releasing a 72mm version of this unit but I guess time will tell.
Guess I didn't read it close enough. I thought he already had the 72mm version. Still impressive to me doing it on e85, and at 45 psi. I saw that Cuhna made a lot of power on the 72mm 4202r cast wheel as well. Enough to run 8.80's. I have a lot more confidence running a Garrett turbo over the BEP turbo as well.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That information is innacurate... teh turbo was in fact clipped down to a 72mm...... and did make 1114 WHP @ 45 psi on E-85!

https://honda-tech.com/forums/drag-racing-36/td-autowerkes-civic-dyno-geting-ready-2010-a-2724550/
Old 02-13-2010, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TDautowerkes
That information is innacurate... teh turbo was in fact clipped down to a 72mm...... and did make 1114 WHP @ 45 psi on E-85!

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2724550
If it is really 72mm, why dont you make a video measuring the inlet with a caliper? That way, people will quit saying it is 74mm and it would have to be a video showing the caliper zeroed out and then measuring it. It would be too easy to skew the results with a picture.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cause nobody else posts videos of their turbos being mesured with a caliper.... Ill let them measure it at any event.....
Old 02-13-2010, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cause nobody else posts videos of their turbos being mesured with a caliper.... Ill let them measure it at any event.....
Oh, so it is 74mm. LOL Just messing with you Damian!
Old 02-13-2010, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted hybrid
I was told from a credible source that the GTX-R comp wheel is from a diesel garbage truck that goes from 0-50-0 psi in the stop/start type of driving it does. The 11 blade design was to keep noise down in the city environment, and design focused on the extreme cyclic loading the turbo is put through. Not sure what compressor wheel was being used though (94 or 102).
Thats a bad *** garbage truck...I wonder if it has twin hks ss blow off valves...
Old 02-13-2010, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NativeSon
Guess I didn't read it close enough. I thought he already had the 72mm version. Still impressive to me doing it on e85, and at 45 psi. I saw that Cuhna made a lot of power on the 72mm 4202r cast wheel as well. Enough to run 8.80's. I have a lot more confidence running a Garrett turbo over the BEP turbo as well.
My turbo at last years Outlaw was a billet 72mm. The year before that was the cast 72mm.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

x2

Haters....
Old 02-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The new 4202 is actually 76mm. I measured the one I had.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2724550

How much did Jake charge you to cut the compressor down??
Old 05-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RealStreet
Their "motorsports" division doesn't mean that the OE contracts don't have influence, go pop the hood on 50 random diesel box trucks or over-the-road trucks, tell me how many GT4294's, GT4594's, or GT5518's you find. Or GT37s on your miscellaneous 1 ton trucks running all over the country. SR20DET OE turbocharger - GT2560R, RB26DETT OE turbocharger - GT2556R. Just because it is a "GT Series" doesn't mean that it is not going to be used heavily in OE contracts. It's the simple economics of it. We can all fall in love with the GTX-R product, and if every hobbyist in the country that's ready to drop $2800-3400 on a turbo ponies up in 2010, it still wouldn't touch an average sized OE contract - not even close.

I know what's next up on the build sheet, when you see the next turbos come out, the statement about OE contracts will start to ring true even more.

The rumor mill will always keep running, as you said, we will find out what they do in the real world. Garrett is one of the most forthcoming brands in terms of the information they provide on their turbochargers. Their compressor maps are normally on the money. What Garrett has told me was the move to the 11 blade and lack of splitters was for the quieter operation that the OEs are looking for.

I'm a Garrett, PTE, Turbonetics, BW, Holset, Mitsubishi, Exile, Forced Inductions, etc... distributor and/or associate distributor, I don't really have a reason to push one brand over another, so our data will be unbiased.

As far as dyno numbers, that depends if the dyno numbers are tinkered with. Using fuel is using fuel - I know about how much power it's making if it's using __% of ____cc injector with a __ base pressure on _____ fuel, the math doesn't really lie when it comes down to fuel consumption. What it comes down to is the honesty and the bias of the person posting the information.

Regards,

Mark Conte

Trucking companies obsess over fuel mileage. If these turbos failed to meet performance demands and were "canned," that means some other turbo was decided to be superior.

Then since in your own words, hobbyists and racers make up almost nothing in sales compared to a single diesel contract, it wouuldnt make sense to even bother pushing a "failed" turbo to a tiny market when something else out there is superior.

So those saying this is a failed turbo being remarketed probably have a friend who makes money selling another brand. If there was a superior product then it would make sense to promote that product, not knock something based on what are most likely lies.

The average big rig turbo doesnt really match up with Gasoline engines so I again don't agree with some things stated here. The volvo big rigs I have worked on have just 74mm or smaller compressor wheels yet the turbine sides probably have 90mm exducers. Not even remotely useful for gasoline powered engines. Looking through Garrett's turbo list, I have never seen a turbo combo that looks big rig friendly.

Turbos on big rigs are specialized for the motor since they are produced in huge number, the housings are all custom cast for each application. Now they might use the same compressor wheels but the combinations you buy are not diesel turbos. I would be thankful the diesel applications exist or development in the past would have not happened and the revival of turbos on gasoline OE engines would be unlikely.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TiAL
they aren't
the aero was developed in 2007 and never used on anything until now
Did you guys not read this?

I was told the same thing at PRI. Probably not uncommon for a wheel to be developed and not be used for the job for one reason or another. They may have made the design and tested it but not have gotten the contract or something like that. Who knows.?.

Is there any more feed back from actual users?

I am excited to get my hands on one to see how they perform.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbodano
Is there any more feed back from actual users?

I am excited to get my hands on one to see how they perform.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You guys should buy one and let us know how it goes.

On a side note, I have one here and it will be going down the track next week to see if it can hang against the precision unit.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.citydiesel.net/turbo-chev...ml?cPath=32_33

I was told at PR that is new designed and engineered 11 blades compressor wheel that was no OE or any other company makes.

well my truck has 11 blade OE factory duramax and nothing done except programmer.

hmmmm I wonder who is telling truth. main purpose of running 11 blade design to quite down the noise issue....

from my experience, GTX turbo does no power or tq gain being 11blades design unless above 30psi. then i will see 10% of increase from regular garrett unit but anything less than 30psi. I have not see significant amount of increase.