New Garrett GTX-R turbos look wicked

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Garrett GTX-R turbos look wicked

Here's a link:
New Garrett GTX-R turbo here

10% more power out of the same size turbos!

They have also updated their list of available turbos. Now you can get a class legal 72mm GT45R turbo, lol. Holy *****, this outlaw FWD class is gonna be ripping fast.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:52 AM
rota92

Default Re: New Garrett GTX-R turbos look wicked

They have a 74mm version too, I WANT. So long as it's free and it works lol
Old 12-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rota92
They have a 74mm version too, I WANT. So long as it's free and it works lol
I think their billet wheel 4202GTX-R with a 74mm inlet will make the same power with the smaller exhaust wheel. You'll be able to spin it up quicker.

I suppose you could have them make you a 4502GTX-R with a 74mm billet wheel, (best of both) and have some huge friggen power, lol.
The only thing that scares me, is the 45R exhaust wheel is 87mm inducer. That's one bigass wheel.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:44 PM
rota92

Originally Posted by NativeSon
I think their billet wheel 4202GTX-R with a 74mm inlet will make the same power with the smaller exhaust wheel. You'll be able to spin it up quicker.

I suppose you could have them make you a 4502GTX-R with a 74mm billet wheel, (best of both) and have some huge friggen power, lol.
The only thing that scares me, is the 45R exhaust wheel is 87mm inducer. That's one bigass wheel.
How much bigger is that than the big exhaust wheel on the 374? I can't change frame size too much due to the front crossmember but eventually the plan was to step into a larger frame down the road.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Only time will tell if these are going to actually be as good as they say they are. I have bought a 70mm and 74mm to try out and compare notes

They need to stop worrying about the compressor wheels and start spending r&d time and money on the turbine wheels.

Ryan the 45r is similar in size as to what the upgraded borg warner wheel is. They are both 87mm inducers. The 45r wheel has a few negatives to it that steer me away. But what do I know.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:32 PM
rota92

Haha you know whats good, and expensive too

We can play around on my car, should be able to fit pretty much anything in there lol
Old 12-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I saw the maps, GTX series is completely diffrent than the other series and the numbers has huge diffrence as pressure aproximately 1bar and air flow at 4 bar toward the other series is chaos, but depends on what setup you have make to your engine and surely r&d time and money just like says miller.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will go out on a limb here and say I have more then enough data to know if these turbos will work within the first pass down the track maybe 2 passes at most.

The GTX series compressor maps look very very promising but only time will tell. Should be doing some testing on them right after the new years if all my other testing goes as planned. You have to remember that there is no compressor map for the precision stuff, but we all know how good that **** works. A compressor map doesnt mean **** at the end of the day.

One other thing to take notice here is that this design is nothing new. There were alot of turbos in the past that had this type of design on the compressor wheels and for some reason they were fadded away. Why was this design fadded out and why bring it back?

Ryan, I am not worried in the least bit about making your car fast. lol
Old 12-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree 1000% with your opinion, but on previous post I mentioned theoretically and I based only to maps of Garrett.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've seen this turbo at PRI show and let me tell you, this turbo looks very nice specially the "billet" wheel.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But it's got 11 blades. That has to make it better
Old 12-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by miller
Only time will tell if these are going to actually be as good as they say they are. I have bought a 70mm and 74mm to try out and compare notes
They need to stop worrying about the compressor wheels and start spending r&d time and money on the turbine wheels.
Ryan the 45r is similar in size as to what the upgraded borg warner wheel is. They are both 87mm inducers. The 45r wheel has a few negatives to it that steer me away. But what do I know.
You ignored my PM, so I'm just gonna assume I should look somewhere else for a turbo.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I responded to your pm and explained the details of some of my testing along with the availability of the 4272r's.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully, if things go my way, you wil have one to test in my car soon.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i been looking at this turbo myself lol but don't know...
Old 12-23-2009, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will have a couple to play with. I am really curious to see if they will help me at 4000+ft.

If anyone is interested in one let me know after the new year.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by uglyasscivic
I will have a couple to play with. I am really curious to see if they will help me at 4000+ft.

If anyone is interested in one let me know after the new year.
I'm interested in one, but please try and provide some specifics like basic contact info, price, etc. in your PM.
I hate trying to decipher cryptic PMs.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was quoted $2750 for the new 4294r.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1320Mikey
I was quoted $2750 for the new 4294r.
Thanks, but did Cortney Green quote you that price? I don't think it's a good idea to be quoting prices in public, FWIW.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a good idea to quote dealer prices on things, but that's a retail price, I don't see a problem. Doesn't have to be a mystery what these things cost.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I will go out on a limb here and say I have more then enough data to know if these turbos will work within the first pass down the track maybe 2 passes at most.

The GTX series compressor maps look very very promising but only time will tell. Should be doing some testing on them right after the new years if all my other testing goes as planned. You have to remember that there is no compressor map for the precision stuff, but we all know how good that **** works. A compressor map doesnt mean **** at the end of the day.

One other thing to take notice here is that this design is nothing new. There were alot of turbos in the past that had this type of design on the compressor wheels and for some reason they were fadded away. Why was this design fadded out and why bring it back?

i love that honda-tech is getting more technical with things now-a-days. i think the whole "i seen it on his car and his car is fast" fad is slowly becoming distinct. people actually doing real testing and finding out real data for the parts and products they are using is awsome. even better sharing the information is great. thanks guys.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking forward to hearing about the test data.

Keep us posted.......... and everyone have a merrt Christmas and a safe new year
Old 12-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony1
Not a good idea to quote dealer prices on things, but that's a retail price, I don't see a problem. Doesn't have to be a mystery what these things cost.
Yeah, but it's a slippery slope here, lol. I'm just trying to help the dealers out, and not get this thread locked.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by d16z6Tcrx
i love that honda-tech is getting more technical with things now-a-days. i think the whole "i seen it on his car and his car is fast" fad is slowly becoming distinct. people actually doing real testing and finding out real data for the parts and products they are using is awsome. even better sharing the information is great. thanks guys.
x2 deffinately not the honda-tech of the old. Hopefully people outside the import world will quit looking down apon us, and maybe realize that were actually probably more advance then they are (the domestics).
Old 12-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I saw these at PRI. Your right, the majority of turbos back in the day were full bladed like this.. A full blade turbo traditionally was good for higher pressure at lower compressor speeds and had less total airflow range, this was good for steady state diesel stuff, but not as good for engines with a wide operating range. The turbo manufacturers went to the "Splitter Blade" because they found that leaving a gap between every other blade allowed the air to be grabbed by the blades more easily at higher compressor speeds increasing the usualble airflow range of the turbo. Aparently the old school fin designs were not good at grabbing inlet air at really high speeds and the split blade solved this issue. So it looks like from the new compressor maps posted by garrett that they have come up with a full blade design that is the best of both worlds. The new compressor maps show much higher pressure ratios and slightly more flow.

I also agree that there needs to be more focus on the turbine side.. There are so many compressor wheels available now as it is, and the turbine side is where our options are rather limited.. Personally I think that proper turbine design is much more important to the total performance of the turbo in a real world on engine situation.

Quick Reply: New Garrett GTX-R turbos look wicked