Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Need purchasing advice for a Civic I want to drag race.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 05:38 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need purchasing advice for a Civic I want to drag race.

Below are links to the two cars I'm considering buying to run as 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2 mile track cars over the next year or two. Can you guys take a look and let me know what you think? I think the one of Facebook is the way to go, but the one on ebay has the AWD conversion which I really like. You really can't blue book these cars to determine value, so I'm reaching out to the experts. Please advise if you don't mind advising on the pros and cons of each. I really appreciate your help. Thanks

1995 Civic Coupe - 600WHP - $8,500 https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2107440520305/
2000 Civic SI - AWD conversion - Ebay Auction - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Honda-...frcectupt=true

Last edited by Grip Grip; 05-26-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need purchasing advice for a Civic I want to drag race.

The one on ebay, I hate the fact they spent that much money and the car looks good,. Then cheaped out and just have a battery sitting in the passenger floorboard.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:54 AM
Trial User

One vote for each. I like the idea of AWD plus the condition of the 2K Si is pretty good. I also like that is has full exhaust and would be just at home on the street as the track. The '95 is pretty much track-only with the hood exiting exhaust.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

The first one says sold which leaves the second and the fact that it is a "sold as is" seems a little scary to me, especially AWD.

You're probably better off building a car from scratch then messing with someone's potential mess.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:04 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, that ebay car has basically no real information on it, looks like they bought a project, ripped on it, and are trying to dump it.

Looks like it has been hit and repaired in the back, who knows how that fuel setup is actually run, how the awd con version was done etc.

Not to mention the tune is obviously not right, and the scary part, there is a boost control solenoid on the passenger wheel well, but from what I can see, it doesn't have any vac lines running to/ from it?

And spikey bolts and dress up parts, while neglecting important stuff, screams run away.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:17 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Neither.

Build your own, build it the way you want it, and build it right.

Then you get the pride and satisfaction of running your first 12, 11, 10 second pass with a car YOU built, not someone else.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

Yeah, really good advice is to NOT buy someone else’s build.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:21 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

you're wrong? Its super badass to buy someone elses pride and joy that they tore up already.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:53 AM
Trial User

I follow the logic of not buying someone else's junk and that it's great to build something yourself and all that, but it's more about being financially responsible for me. These builds can't be cheap when you start talking forged internals, sleeved blocks, 2200cc injectors, etc. My guess is that most of these Honda's I'm seeing in the 6-7 grand range cost twice that to build. To me it just doesn't make sense for me to build my own when bargains are out there, so I'll remain on the hunt for one that's been properly built and hopefully priced to move.

Last edited by Grip Grip; 05-29-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

Then why ask? Decide what type of project you want AWD or FWD, look for one and buy it.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I've seen that same awd ek up on eBay multiple times. Honestly in the videos it looks like a turd. I mean videos don't do justice for awd cars for the most part but it looks like it's actually a turd to me. The fuel cell setup looks like crap, the battery is jank, the exhaust most likely hits on anything but a flat road and I wouldn't want the crv rear end for my car personally. I would rather get a clean solid car that's already built and making power fwd and then do the awd conversion myself.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:07 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Grip Grip
I follow the logic of not buying someone else's junk and that it's great to build something yourself and all that, but it's more about being financially responsible for me. These builds can't be cheap when you start talking forged internals, sleeved blocks, 2200cc injectors, etc, my guess is that most of these Honda's I'm seeing in the 6-7 grand range cost twice that to build. To me it just doesn't make sense for me to build my own when bargains are out there. I really appreciate all the input though, thanks.
It is rare to find someone selling a project that is actually 100% complete and in good running condition. There are two more likely scenarios. A) They ran out of funds or botched something in the project and don't have the skill or time to fix it properly (see AWD ek civic), or B) they built the car and lost interest and it sat for quite some time, or has traded hands multiple times and people didn't have the skill/time/funds to fix it back up or keep it running optimally so they are trying to pawn it off on the next unsuspecting victim (possibly the case for the 600whp FWD one)

What I am getting at is you will end up having a lot more time and money into trying to fix up someone elses project than just the initial purchase price. Plus, you have the added frustration of not knowing what the builder did or how to fix it, which will likely end in you giving up and selling it or dumping more money into than if you had built it yourself and done it right in the first place.

Take my car for example and how I learned my lesson. Previous owner probably had $10k or more into the build plus the price of the car so I figured it was a steal at $6k. Fast forward 3 years and I have come close to putting another $8k into rebuilding everything because it was an old and tired setup, plus much of the chassis upgrades and maintenance that were needed on a 25 year old car had been neglected. There are still unresolved issues that I have not been able to figure out, so I continue replacing parts and throwing more money at it. Ultimately I have just as much money into it as I would have if I'd found a shell and built it myself, plus the amount of frustration I've been through has at times sent me close to having a mental breakdown. And it's still not quite right.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

I follow the logic of not buying someone else's junk and that it's great to build something yourself and all that, but it's more about being financially responsible for me. These builds can't be cheap when you start talking forged internals, sleeved blocks, 2200cc injectors, etc. My guess is that most of these Honda's I'm seeing in the 6-7 grand range cost twice that to build. To me it just doesn't make sense for me to build my own when bargains are out there, so I'll remain on the hunt for one that's been properly built and hopefully priced to move.

financially responsible

financial responsibility does not look like buying racecar
Old 05-30-2019, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bargains are out there for you to build your own. Its a great time in the Honda Marketplace right now. Tons of builds being parted out and a bunch of deals floating around. Take your time and you will find everything needed to build a pretty fast car on a conservative budget. Still giving you the chance to be "financially responsible" and also having good info on the history of your project.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude selling the AWD eBay listing said: “bought from NAVADA....”

nuff said.