Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

My Street to Drag CRX Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: My Street to Drag CRX Build

Nice build man, I am converting my CRX from street to track as well. We have a lot of the same parts. I love the radiator. I was on the fence about it till I seen this thread. I am also interested in your damper clearance. I have an ATI damper and traction bar as well.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 90 JDM EF8
Thank you very much. Not sure if hood exit is much better than side but yes space is the issue with everything on these cars lol.

Thanks!

haha nice!. Yea no more body kit. Had that wings west kit on there for 10 years and then went with the jdm from end and liked it so I really wanted stock body look again.

I will post results of the ATI Damper fitment. This is really one of my biggest "worries" I have right now with the build and can't wait to get my suspension so I can see what happens. I was thinking of doing a custom radius arm on that side but the more I think about it, if it doesn't fit then I will probably sell the race version and get the street one. I'm sure it will be better than a stock pulley still, but I want to rev higher than I was last time at 9400rpm.
loved how you did the ww with jdm front. show how you make it look so good.

if the OD or overall thickness is very close to the fluidamper race, then i don't see how it's possible for it to clear the arm. I had my scII jacked all the way to the max and the pulley would still rub on the arm each time there was minor front suspension travel like going slowly on a ramp, or even small bumps on the freeway.

i was looking at the ati street & it should clear, but won't know until it's actually on there.
Keep us posted.

what fuel are you going to be running?
Old 06-27-2014, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was wondering what solutions people are coming up with for clearance. I was thinking of welding a piece of rod to the outside of the arm then just cutting out the interference area.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

someone modded the 90-93 accord arm to work since it's already pre-bent...but i haven't seen pic of it on the car.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you very much. Not sure if hood exit is much better than side but yes space is the issue with everything on these cars lol.
Yeah. I haven't had issues with a 2.5" or 3" DP on mine, but I know what you mean. I was asking specifics. I didn't know if your IC piping blocked you from going down and out. I guess it doesn't matter since it seems like this is going to be a dedicated car now.

Also, good work on the sidewall/fence/gate.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
Nice build man, I am converting my CRX from street to track as well. We have a lot of the same parts. I love the radiator. I was on the fence about it till I seen this thread. I am also interested in your damper clearance. I have an ATI damper and traction bar as well.
Thank you. Good luck with your build. Let me know on the damper clearance if you find out before I do haha.

what fuel are you going to be running? [/QUOTE]

Not really sure on fuel yet. I was on 100 octane before and thought about just sticking with that but I need to go talk with my tuner and see what he thinks. Maybe c12 or c16?? Definitely no e85, just don't feel like messing with it and theres not that many stations in Vegas.

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
I was wondering what solutions people are coming up with for clearance. I was thinking of welding a piece of rod to the outside of the arm then just cutting out the interference area.

Yea I have thrown around some things in my head but I might just take it to a good fab shop when I get my suspension and see if they can come up with anything. I just don't want any risk of it breaking or bending under load.

Originally Posted by Freemananana
Yeah. I haven't had issues with a 2.5" or 3" DP on mine, but I know what you mean. I was asking specifics. I didn't know if your IC piping blocked you from going down and out. I guess it doesn't matter since it seems like this is going to be a dedicated car now.

Also, good work on the sidewall/fence/gate.
I could have done regular under car exhaust but wanted hood exit just for the hell of it. I fabbed up backdoor intercooler so theres no piping on the hot side. I did know that I would have to pie cut way more than with a hood exit because of the radiator clearance issues (even with the Speedfactory radiator) so I just went with it. Thanks on the side yard stuff, I never want to take on a project that big again haha
Old 06-27-2014, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What hardness are those mounts? Make sure they're up to the task, esp. on an EF chassis.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tippyman
What hardness are those mounts? Make sure they're up to the task, esp. on an EF chassis.
They are 94a. I didn't feel like I would need solids yet.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:05 PM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Build looks good.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just a PSA. If you have any kind of "traction" bars on an EF chassis that has a heim joint at the control arm, you need to throw that crap in the trash can.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by efHondefender
Just a PSA. If you have any kind of "traction" bars on an EF chassis that has a heim joint at the control arm, you need to throw that crap in the trash can.
I have already taken care of that and have already purchased KTuned Front Stabilizer Bars and will see how those work. I also plan on getting Xenocron Tubular Rear Subframe and will either buy or build a tubular trans brace from MakkPerformance. Not trying to sound like a jerk or a know it all but I have been in this game for 15 years and have had this same car all 15 years so I have done plenty of research and seen many things haha. Thanks for the look out though.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks great Man! Maybe I missed it but what suspension are you using? What's next dyno or some track time?
Old 06-29-2014, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speeddave
Looks great Man! Maybe I missed it but what suspension are you using? What's next dyno or some track time?
Thank you! I was going to purchase Progress Technology CS2 coil overs and after talking to them about my set up and what I'm going to do they informed me they will be releasing an all new coil over with dampening adjust and more spring rates to choose from. Their customer service is really good and they talked to me for 30 minutes which wins me over. I am on their pre-order list so hopefully I will have these within the next month. I will have this car at Nisei Showoff in Los Angeles August 16 so I have to have the car ready for that. Dyno is ASAP. Track time will be September-October since its so hot here in the summer. It will be around 116 degrees here next Wednesday! lol
Old 06-29-2014, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

holy crap thats hot… gotta love Vegas, haha. Very cool news about the new progress suspension, i need to upgrade my old school skunk2 drag coil overs. i'll be keeping an eye out for your review of them.

hey what coils and coil seals did you use with your BWR plate? I had to do some filing of my valve cover to get the plate to fit down into the cover properly.

Last edited by speeddave; 06-29-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speeddave
holy crap thats hot… gotta love Vegas, haha. Very cool news about the new progress suspension, i need to upgrade my old school skunk2 drag coil overs. i'll be keeping an eye out for your review of them.

hey what coils and coil seals did you use with your BWR plate? I had to do some filing of my valve cover to get the plate to fit down into the cover properly.
I used rsx-type-s coils and whatever seals came with them. Yea the BWR plate took a little filing to get to fit right. I guess you get what you pay for right? lol
Old 06-30-2014, 05:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have already taken care of that and have already purchased KTuned Front Stabilizer Bars and will see how those work. I also plan on getting Xenocron Tubular Rear Subframe and will either buy or build a tubular trans brace from MakkPerformance. Not trying to sound like a jerk or a know it all but I have been in this game for 15 years and have had this same car all 15 years so I have done plenty of research and seen many things haha. Thanks for the look out though.
The stabilizer bars dont help the problem unfortunately...its still a heim joint on the front (traction bar side) and the rear (stabilizer side) and allows the arm to rotate. There needs to be no ability for rotation and the only bar I know of that is setup correctly for this for the EF chassis is the Innovative Mounts competition bar for the EF/DA chassis.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xenocron
The stabilizer bars dont help the problem unfortunately...its still a heim joint on the front (traction bar side) and the rear (stabilizer side) and allows the arm to rotate. There needs to be no ability for rotation and the only bar I know of that is setup correctly for this for the EF chassis is the Innovative Mounts competition bar for the EF/DA chassis.
Nice, I am going to order up one of those.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xenocron
Hmm interesting...Considering I have my radiator tabs already welded to the full race traction bar and I need to figure out how to use this ATI Race Damper with my radius arms, I will just have to make the radius arms solid mount on the lower control arm and custom fab a curve around the pulley on the driver side radius arm. I still want to use the K-Tuned stabilizer bars though since I already bought them and feel they will help. You guys have any tips or ideas to help me with this radius arm ATI Damper situation?? haha...Thanks for the information.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: Decided to buy some Innovative mounts radius arms after really looking at my full-race traction bar set up and information from people on here. I used parts from my full-race traction bar and was able to mount the driver side radius arm under the lower control arm for clearance for my ATI Race 7" damper. Took a little trimming and cutting but looks like it will hold up and it has plenty of clearance with the suspension bottomed out as you can see in the picture. All the credit goes to user 88ED8 on here as he is the one who did this first with his full-race set up and I saw his post.

Also after talking to my tuner I am selling my ID 1000's and have ordered Grams 2200cc injectors and I decided to buy Skunk2 Pro1 Cams before I tune. I should be receiving those items on Thursday and will instal this next week.

Another "dilemma" I guess you could say I am having is my suspension. I already sold my Tein Coil overs and was on the waiting list for Progress Technology new dampening adjustable coil overs but they have notified me they will not be out until after August 16th which is the date I need to have my car ready for the Annual Nisei Showoff in Downtown Los Angeles that I try to show at every year possible. So now I try to borrow suspension from a friend with a EF until those release or I have been thinking of just pulling the trigger and going with Strange Coil Overs. Any recommendations? haha, thanks for looking.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everything looks great dude!
Old 07-24-2014, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem I had my lower machined to fit also mounted the ktuned stabilizer on top for the rear support
Old 07-24-2014, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EFTRIKCRX
I had the same problem I had my lower machined to fit also mounted the ktuned stabilizer on top for the rear support
Yea I am going to get longer bolts eventually to mount my K-Tuned rear stabilizers also. Just trying to get the car running and rolling at least for August.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the progress looks good man!! question, you were able to order just the arms from innovated ?? if so how much were they?
Old 07-24-2014, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lvdb-2
the progress looks good man!! question, you were able to order just the arms from innovated ?? if so how much were they?
Thank you! Yea you can order just the arms directly from Innovative's web site, $75 each arm.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking good, but why the change in injectors?

Quick Reply: My Street to Drag CRX Build