Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Liquid to air allowed in IFO FIS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Liquid to air allowed in IFO FIS?

I know it doesnt say anythig about it in the rules, but thought id check to be sure. Im putting my car together to possibly run in the Forced Induction Sport class for IFO events. Just want to be sure theres no gray area about running liquid to air in the class or on turbo size? Im going to be runing a Garrett GT4294R which is a 70.3mm turbo.

Rulers per the IFO website:

PAYOUTS - $300 - Must have 8 qualifiers for full payout. Less than eight qualifiers will receive half the normal payout. Qualifiers must run 13.99 and faster.

Winner - $300
R/U - $100
Semi 1 - $50 - if enough cars for a Quick 16
Semi 2 - $50 - if enough cars for a Quick 16

CLASS SUMMARY
Heads-Up, Pro-tree (.400) class for F/R/AWD street/daily driven import/sport compact vehicles with full interior, exhaust, and current tags/registration. Power adders allowed. Three qualifying passes permitted.

BODY
Import or domestic compact car bodies allowed. Current tags and registration required. One piece and widened front ends prohibited. Bumpers can not be removed. No cutting allowed for weight reduction or wheel clearance purposes. All tail lights and head lights required.

INTERIOR
Doors must open and close from inside and outside the vehicle. No center drive configurations. All seats (front and back), door panels, dash, and carpet (front and back) must remain inside vehicle. No lexan allowed. No cutting allowed for weight reduction.

CHASSIS AND SUSPENSION
Full tube chassis prohibited. No center-drive systems. Wheelie bars are prohibited.

ENGINE
4 and 6 cylinder 2 or 3 rotory import engines allowed. 8, 10, or 12 cylinders must be naturally aspirated. Domestic compact cars limited to 4 cylinder. No air-cooled engines allowed. Motor swaps allowed as long as stays within same manufacturer.

POWER ADDERS
Turbochargers, Superchargers, and Nitrous Oxide Systems permitted in any combination.

DRIVETRAIN AND TRANSMISSION
FWD, AWD, or RWD allowed. Stock driveline configuration must remain. Straight axles prohibited.

EXHAUST
Open exhaust prohibited. Excessively loud exhaust prohibited (determined at IFO tech's discretion).

TIRES
Slicks permitted for FWD only (25.0 limit). Any DOT approved tires required for AWD and RWD vehicles.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Liquid to air allowed in IFO FIS?

Doesn't say it's not allowed.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tepid1
Doesn't say it's not allowed.
+1
Old 02-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some street car!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it dont say but its is sopost to be a "street" class

why not just run FWD it sounds like a better fit
Old 02-13-2012, 03:41 PM
GSRcaucAZN78

Originally Posted by turbo-2nr
it dont say but its is sopost to be a "street" class

why not just run FWD it sounds like a better fit
/\ this.

never thought would have to address those type of rules for FIS, but will if need to.

Your build is definitely a FWD class car... liquid and 70.9. You shouldn't race with the street cars and for much lower payout.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a question what are the regulations on cages. Cause I'm planning to run the outlaw class but don't have a cage and the rules don't say a thing about that I know u can't run faster then 11.50et with no cage but every event is different so if some one can help me out
Old 02-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HybridMT
/\ this.

never thought would have to address those type of rules for FIS, but will if need to.

Your build is definitely a FWD class car... liquid and 70.9. You shouldn't race with the street cars and for much lower payout.
So....the car is only gonna be a 9.80 car. Still have full interior and full exhaust. I cant afford to run FWD, its gonna take a 8.60 to win that class in Spokane.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by a1320honda
So....the car is only gonna be a 9.80 car. Still have full interior and full exhaust. I cant afford to run FWD, its gonna take a 8.60 to win that class in Spokane.
who the hell runs 8.60's on 24.5?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SPOOLINmatt
who the hell runs 8.60's on 24.5?
Lol i was just thinking the same thing
Old 02-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

limit is 25, im sure Kaizen and Speedfactory will still show up with 25's and break into the 8's. I thought the limit was 26's...my bad.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

limit is 25, im sure Kaizen and Speedfactory will still show up with 25's and break into the 8's. I thought the limit was 26's...my bad.

SF is going to go faster, no slower by putting a smaller tire on... Pretty sure they are going to go in FIP or Outlaw and play with the fast cars... That's what KZ should do if they arent...
Old 02-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I doubt either team will step down to the small tire... Im not putting a 24.5 back in my car ill just run the class i fit into wherever i go... Not saying there arent fast cars on 24s just saying i want to go as fast as humanly possible im my tin can lol. But my situation is different we recently added another car to my shops roster that will run the small tire this year.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wasnt sure if they'd put on the small tire or not. In the FIP class there are a couple cars that run in low 8's in the area. If thats the case ill prolly roll in the FWD class. But for clarification i think the FIS rules should be ammended. Id love to run in the FIS class cause thats where all my friends are gonna be running and seems like it would be the most car count. I just want the competition without being put in a class where i dont have a chance.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

9.80's up in this area is more than half a second faster than last years winner for FIS.. FWD is where you will be "competitive" racing people... There are at least 3 mid to high 9 sec fwd cars up here with KZ ans SF out of there..
Old 02-14-2012, 02:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wasnt sure if they'd put on the small tire or not. In the FIP class there are a couple cars that run in low 8's in the area. If thats the case ill prolly roll in the FWD class. But for clarification i think the FIS rules should be ammended. Id love to run in the FIS class cause thats where all my friends are gonna be running and seems like it would be the most car count. I just want the competition without being put in a class where i dont have a chance.
So instead of steeping up, you would rather ruin a entire class designed for 11 second daily driven (probably driven to the track street car class.

Good Job sir!! Good job!!

Last edited by BlackArtsRacing; 02-14-2012 at 03:54 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BlackArtsRacing
So instead of steeping up, you would rather ruin a entire class designed for 11 second daily driven (probably driven to the track street car class.

Good Job sir!! Good job!!
Watching videos of 2011 FIS races, a lot cars were low 10's high 9's. And my car will be driven to the track. i cant afford a $10k tranny setup. just cause im experimenting with my first L2A setup and have a 70mm turbo doesnt mean its not a street car. As stated earlier, it will have full interior and full exhaust. Im not building an outlaw car lol.

But its fine...im gonna run FWD...i didnt know everyones Fruit Of the Looms were gonna get twisted up by this.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

some cars come factory with liquid to air intercooler setups. is that against the rules too ? lol
Old 02-14-2012, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Watching videos of 2011 FIS races, a lot cars were low 10's high 9's.
I've actually studied this class closely over the last couple of years in anticipation running this class once my car stopped breaking (SRT-4, what Can I say?), I've only seen a handfull of high 10 second cars and I only recall one dipping in the 9's. I think that may of been in florida?

i cant afford a $10k tranny setup. just cause im experimenting with my first L2A setup and have a 70mm turbo doesnt mean its not a street car. As stated earlier, it will have full interior and full exhaust. Im not building an outlaw car lol.
I feel your pain and agree with this. I can't afford to build to that level either, hence commenting about having a place to play.

But its fine...im gonna run FWD...i didnt know everyones Fruit Of the Looms were gonna get twisted up by this.
Naww. Not twisted at all. My personal goal is to make the field in FIS at the two local events in my area. I have no delusions of winning. If I go a round, I'll be happy. If I go two rounds I'll be stoked!!!

I guess "the spirit of the rule" is important to me. Personally, I would not run a mid 10 second car in a 11/12 second field, but that's just me.

It would kinda be like the New York Giants winning the NCAA Football National championship!

---------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by dturbocivic
some cars come factory with liquid to air intercooler setups. is that against the rules too ? lol
As the rule currently stands it's not against the rules. However, I'll ask you this? Would you run your Pro FWD car in True Street as it currently sits? Or would you continue to run in the class I've seen it run in at Import Vs. Domestics?
Old 02-14-2012, 06:28 AM
GSRcaucAZN78

1 maybe 2 cars have run 9s in FIS... ever... not sure why he thinks that's "a lot". 90% of the racers are running 11s and slower. Most of the winners are running low 11s/high 10s... many times slower, even much slower. Again, the spirit of the class is truly daily driven street cars. The ones running 9s almost always step up to FWD or FIP for the much bigger payout... a waste not to do so.

If race cars start coming into FIS, we will implement more restrictions.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HybridMT
1 maybe 2 cars have run 9s in FIS... ever... not sure why he thinks that's "a lot". 90% of the racers are running 11s and slower. Most of the winners are running low 11s/high 10s... many times slower, even much slower. Again, the spirit of the class is truly daily driven street cars. The ones running 9s almost always step up to FWD or FIP for the much bigger payout... a waste not to do so.

If race cars start coming into FIS, we will implement more restrictions.
Thanks Cliff.

I'll see ya at both Odenton, MD events (if not broken again), and I'm thinking about the Rockingham event.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If my car run's a 9 i will go to FWD, but i honestly dont see that happening lol
Old 02-14-2012, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HONDA-PRO SEBO
I have a question what are the regulations on cages. Cause I'm planning to run the outlaw class but don't have a cage and the rules don't say a thing about that I know u can't run faster then 11.50et with no cage but every event is different so if some one can help me out
Im pretty sure the IFO rules are class guidelines, but you are still 100% required to follow the NHRA/track sanctioning body safety rules.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just want the competition without being put in a class where i dont have a chance.

This is the key.

Unfortunately people have started to bring all kinds of crazyness to the track and the need for rules and regulations has increased.

Really the only reason why rules exist IMO is so cars are equally matched, if you know about what the car is capable of running, and FIS is the best fit, I say run it.

Rules are restrictions and one of the reasons why IFO is so popular is that people can honestly get away with quite a bit more than other IHRA/NHRA events due to lax teching.

bottom line for me is: if you run low 11's high 10's I'd be fine with it......mid to low 10's and faster.....probably should run FWD
Old 02-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why does A2W make it a racecar? Both Nick and I have A2W intercoolers on our street cars that will never see the track.

This is how racing goes. You push the rules you are given until they push back. Steve-2012 FIS rules say nothing about A2W, so it fair game. However, if this lack of regulation on intercoolers hurts the class (according to IFO) then they will make changes to the class rules for 2013. This is how the game is played. A great example is the 25" tires rule for FWD this year. They thought the 26" was taking the class out of reach for alot of racers.

You cant set rules for a season and then bitch when someone builds a LEGAL car that might go faster. If you wanted restrictions against certain things then put it in the rules.

Quick Reply: Liquid to air allowed in IFO FIS?