Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

K Series Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (blueshark123)

I think that's the price. Will you be buying a set of these if so let me know how they hold up I would also like to know more info on these.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (locash)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by locash &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">4th gear self destructed on the treated gearset on the dyno at 400hp, time to send that one in for analysis.. This is what testing is all about, right? </TD></TR></TABLE>

To be honist I'm amazed the trans made 30 pulls at 400hp. I just checked the
shafts for cracking on this one because of the amount of time it takes to do, a
good half hour per gear to check them.. and yeah, I sure would like to see
the broken parts..

Sounds like the Pro shift worked well though!
Old 02-15-2008, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RacerStev)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fresh_manny21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think that's the price. Will you be buying a set of these if so let me know how they hold up I would also like to know more info on these.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pro shift works great man
Old 02-15-2008, 08:05 PM
formerly Bullhead Gears

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blueshark123 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Isn't the price 3200??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, that was an old post When I didn't have final pricing yet. pics will go up on k20a next week. The 1-4 drag dog set with no 5th is in the works and about 2 months out.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:50 AM
formerly Bullhead Gears

Default Re: (Erikos)

If anyone is interested here are pics

K-Series 1-4 Straight Cut Syncro Set
Old 02-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Erikos, can we get a money back guarantee that we won't break that new gearset?

Also, on the current RacerSteve treated gearset, we're at 709hp at 7000rpm currently, and it hasn't blown up yet! Might be time to do more testing on track..

Old 02-21-2008, 08:00 PM
formerly Bullhead Gears

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by locash &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Erikos, can we get a money back guarantee that we won't break that new gearset?

Also, on the current RacerSteve treated gearset, we're at 709hp at 7000rpm currently, and it hasn't blown up yet! Might be time to do more testing on track..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

No money back, this is racing equipment. They are guaranteed against manufactuing flaws.
These will be seeing plenty of track time. We are a little worried about the cases, but not the gears.

Don't get me wrong, I think what Steve is doing is great, it seems to be working well for everyone and I commend him for it. If it does everything you want it to for a good price stick with him, thats what I would do if something was working for me. Good luck with everything.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The money back part was partly a joke..

Obviously, nobody wants to spend a few thousand on parts that aren't much better than stock, hence the question..

Honestly though, if you've got a setup that can make consistent 700+hp pulls, and want to put it to the test, you're more than welcome to use my dyno.. With the Dynapack, there is no wheelspin, the weakest link will break, and lately, thats been the transmissions..

Old 02-22-2008, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The gear set looks nice but what every one wants to see is some real testing to see if it would hold up. I want to buy a nice gear set for my car and I have seen a few sets of them start to come out but the reason I have not placed a order with any one is I don't want to pay for something that will break down the line. Its the same thing with other race parts you show people some good dyno numbers and they all buy or that the part is **** and they stay away.

The work steve is doing to the trannys seems to be holding up just fine we tested one of his proshift gears and it held up and shifting in to 2nd was a lot smoother.

now we have a full tranny that he has treated on the dyno that is holding to 700hp pulls and Locash will be adding more boost to the car should be up in the 800hp range

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by locash &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The money back part was partly a joke..

Obviously, nobody wants to spend a few thousand on parts that aren't much better than stock, hence the question..

Honestly though, if you've got a setup that can make consistent 700+hp pulls, and want to put it to the test, you're more than welcome to use my dyno.. With the Dynapack, there is no wheelspin, the weakest link will break, and lately, thats been the transmissions.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Like Locash said if you feel that your gear set can hold up to the power and want some testing done feel free to send one over he can have it installed and on the dyno in a few days or so.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:47 AM
formerly Bullhead Gears

Default Re: (fresh_manny21)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fresh_manny21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The gear set looks nice but what every one wants to see is some real testing to see if it would hold up. I want to buy a nice gear set for my car and I have seen a few sets of them start to come out but the reason I have not placed a order with any one is I don't want to pay for something that will break down the line. Its the same thing with other race parts you show people some good dyno numbers and they all buy or that the part is **** and they stay away.

The work steve is doing to the trannys seems to be holding up just fine we tested one of his proshift gears and it held up and shifting in to 2nd was a lot smoother.

now we have a full tranny that he has treated on the dyno that is holding to 700hp pulls and Locash will be adding more boost to the car should be up in the 800hp range

Like Locash said if you feel that your gear set can hold up to the power and want some testing done feel free to send one over he can have it installed and on the dyno in a few days or so.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I appreciate the offer for the dyno but i am in Seattle, we do have some Mustangs (dyno)around here though. We are getting our first sets in two weeks and we some good testers setup. We are very confident in PPG's ability to make quality ultra stong gears though and are not to concerned about the gears themselves, we are more intersted to see what the next weakness will end up being and what we can do to solve that as well.
Sorry Steve, don't want to hijack the thread. If anyone has anymore questions/comments please feel free to email me at info@bullheadgears.com

Thanks
Erik

Modified by Erikos at 12:16 PM 2/22/2008
Old 02-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by locash &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Erikos, can we get a money back guarantee that we won't break that new gearset?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh man Dyno Paks are hard on tranny's! I'd say it's time to hit the track with
this one

Steve
Old 02-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Steve, this 2nd transmission survived the dyno.. numerous 700-780hp pulls, no transmission issues.. Time to hit the track and dial it in..

Old 02-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have an S2K here with a ppg dog box in it. of all the cars ive ever driven, this is by far the best feeling trans i have ever felt (in terms of how it shifts)(only drive it on the dyno though) car made a touch over 800 on our dynojet. the gearing seems insanely long though, too long.

i was suposed to test one of their B series boxes from one of their distributors. they called, wanted me to try it out...sort of like a borrow it for a while type thing. then when they called to make the arrangements they tried to charge me like 5 grand or something ridiculous.... it was a weird situation. oh well, my post is worthless lol
Old 02-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Shooting Star

Default Re: (Turbo-charged)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have an S2K here with a ppg dog box in it. of all the cars ive ever driven, this is by far the best feeling trans i have ever felt (in terms of how it shifts)(only drive it on the dyno though) car made a touch over 800 on our dynojet. the gearing seems insanely long though, too long.

i was suposed to test one of their B series boxes from one of their distributors. they called, wanted me to try it out...sort of like a borrow it for a while type thing. then when they called to make the arrangements they tried to charge me like 5 grand or something ridiculous.... it was a weird situation. oh well, my post is worthless lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

I too would like to try one of these sets, ive heard the ppg gears are really really nice. I also talked about gearing options they told me that if i wish to get different gearing, that i have to pay more. But the gears they offer arent even close to any kind of drag, or autocross gearing. Smart company....
Old 02-23-2008, 03:17 PM

Default Re: (vtecspeed1320)

How much would a set of thos for k series set you back?
Old 03-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (USDM mullet)

Just a fast update, the last K set I did has been holding up very well.

To date we have over 20 750-800hp pulls on the dyno and about 15 1/4 mile pass's. So far so good

Steve
Old 03-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RacerStev &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just a fast update, the last K set I did has been holding up very well.

To date we have over 20 750-800hp pulls on the dyno and about 15 1/4 mile pass's. So far so good

Steve</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is true my tranny is still holding up
Racerstev
Old 03-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay as far as fluid i seen redline mtl and torco mtl mentioned.

which specific ones do you guys recommend from these brands and other brands?

Old 03-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Evil Ryu)

2 more 1/4 mile runs on my tranny and it still holding up
Old 03-10-2008, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fresh_manny21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2 more 1/4 mile runs on my tranny and it still holding up </TD></TR></TABLE>

Times? 60 foots?
Old 03-10-2008, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Evil Ryu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evil Ryu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">okay as far as fluid i seen redline mtl and torco mtl mentioned.

which specific ones do you guys recommend from these brands and other brands?

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-10-2008, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

10.30's@145 mph 1.6's and 1.7's
Old 12-15-2009, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K Series Transmissions

bumpp
Old 12-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bumping an old post, lol.. Manny's car has been using the PPG dog box with no problems, and before that, used the PPG sychro box, never broke any gears.. Car has gone 9.55 The PPG stuff works so well that I have bought multiple dog boxes for my cars and customers cars..
Old 05-14-2013, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RacerStev
Ok things are moving ahead, have a 2nd gear out getting pro shifted now. It should be back on Monday and I hope to have it tested in the next week or two..

Oh yeah, it's cheap too

Steve
Sorry to bump an old thread and for the dumb question, but what is a pro shifted 2nd gear?