Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Interview with David Hsu from Skunk 2 (Complete)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interview with David Hsu from Skunk 2 (Complete)

So this week were doing a little different from the order that we have been doing for the past few weeks. This interview was long and very in-def about the beginnings and where skunk 2 is going. There was some interesting information that was spoken about in his career and life. Take a listen and please respond with any comments or suggestions you may have about future interviews.

Of course please subscribe and like his podcast for future shows.

David Hsu from Skunk 2 Racing

Part 1

025: David Hsu (Part 1) from Group A Engineering, Skunk2, Kraftwerks, and Grams Performance talks business!

Part 2

http://doitforaliving.net/026-david-...ow-he-sees-it/

Last edited by crazes; 05-17-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Interview with David Hsu from Skunk 2 (Complete)

bumping for part 2 added
Old 05-17-2015, 01:36 PM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I listened to these yesterday at work. Definitely some interesting stuff was said about copies and patents. Not sure about the whole JDM = TDM thing though. Always wondered why there Jackson Racing and Kraftwerks were both doing Rotrex kits too. Suprised Reid didn't ask about the bounty either.

Also it seems with no offense to Reid but I don't think he follows much more than Honda's or Corvette market.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
I listened to these yesterday at work. Definitely some interesting stuff was said about copies and patents. Not sure about the whole JDM = TDM thing though. Always wondered why there Jackson Racing and Kraftwerks were both doing Rotrex kits too. Suprised Reid didn't ask about the bounty either.

Also it seems with no offense to Reid but I don't think he follows much more than Honda's or Corvette market.
Was waiting to hear about that one too
Old 05-18-2015, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyjetsfan22
Was waiting to hear about that one too
Me three. Would love to hear his opinion on if that was a mistake.

A lot of interesting discussion. I don't fully agree with how he described utility patents though (especially in the discussion of an LCA with broken lines). From what I understand, items where there really is only one way to solve it are very tough to get an enforceable patent unless you're only patenting a very specific design.

I noticed he talked a lot about settlements so maybe he hasn't had to actually take them to court? I dunno, just what he said was not what I have heard from our attorneys.

The origin of Blox and Kraftworks was really interesting. Never knew any of that.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:04 PM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I couldn't figure out the whole Jackson Racing thing until that was said. However that is only one side of the story. But the Blox stuff always did look the same. I can think of a few brands currently that are all about the same. It would explain why Hardrace no longer uses bottom mount ball joints for upper camber kits either.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:38 AM
No Jodas

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
I couldn't figure out the whole Jackson Racing thing until that was said. However that is only one side of the story. But the Blox stuff always did look the same. I can think of a few brands currently that are all about the same. It would explain why Hardrace no longer uses bottom mount ball joints for upper camber kits either.
easier to change a design slightly than to infringe on a patent.

I still need to listen to the rest of part two - curious now about BLOX.