Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

IMPORT FACE-OFF schedule and rule updates (Fontana and Woodburn)...

Old 09-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: IMPORT FACE-OFF schedule and rule updates (Fontana and Woodburn)...

Sorry Cliff but I'm with Tony on this one thats straight bs if your not going to penalize weight then everyone should have the same turbo size, I'm fine racing these other awd/rwd cars but keep it fair!!!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 08:45 AM
GSRcaucAZN78

the classes and rules are created around the cars and type of racers that actually show up, not the "what if" situations, or never ending builds, or cars that come out once a year then break, etc. The rules will be kept simple until a car actually shows up/wins once, what less a few times, that cause for the rules to be more strict.

76mm for a/rwd is already smaller than other Import events, plus payouts are going up. Be thankful for that, as of now there is no limit so 88mm Supras can run, plus payouts less than FWD. Even with no turbo limit now, FIP avg winning times are 9 and 10s! See the results of each event on the IFO website.

If you don't like it, put on some 24.5s and run in the FWD class.

Last edited by HybridMT; 09-15-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We are just going to raise the limiter and put the small tires on, if we wanted to race RWD we would have built a supra for half the price. But this rule change will not do much to slow people down ,,,,,,, the current rules work, no need to change them IMO
Old 09-14-2011, 09:06 AM
GSRcaucAZN78

but the 25" max tire rule change WILL slow people which will even the playing field and create for more competitive racing while also making it more affordable for everyone. As of now, the 24.5" tire guys are mostly only winning when the 26" tire guys can't make it to the next round because they broke. This is happening way too much lately and the spectators don't want to see broke bye wins. They want to see close racing.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:13 AM
GSRcaucAZN78

Originally Posted by HybridMT
As of now, the 24.5" tire guys are mostly only winning when the 26" tire guys can't make it to the next round because they broke.
or they are winning because the 26" tire guys didn't show up because they have yet to fix after an expensive break from an event 6+ months earlier. Again, the rule change will make it more affordable/fun for everyone. Yes, the spectators like to see faster cars, but more would rather see full fields with still fast, but more close/competitive racing... not a full field with 1 guy blowing everyone away by almost a full second.

If the 26" guys stick to 26 and race in FIP with the new turbo rule, they will win more often than the R/AWD guys. This is based off what I actually see WITH MY OWN EYES, week after week, all over the country.

Last edited by HybridMT; 09-14-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It will only slow people down for the time being, I just do not want to be changing stuff on the car again next year to slow the class down again. At some point the " pay to play " factor needs to override. We will race FWD on 24.5 or 26, don't really care. I just don't like seeing some of the top notch competitors being moved out of the class because they can't change tire size as easy as we can. I guess only car count in the class will tell, In the end we are just happy to have a place to race, whatever or whoever is in the next lane.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:29 AM
GSRcaucAZN78

There aren't that many 26 guys these days, really. Usually only 1 or 2 an event, many times none. Of the 1 or 2 that do show up, they usually either win or break :-/
Old 09-14-2011, 10:07 AM
GSRcaucAZN78

Originally Posted by pellis90
I just do not want to be changing stuff on the car again next year to slow the class down again. At some point the " pay to play " factor needs to override.
Do not foresee any major changes for years to come. This is actually only 1 of 2 major changes to the class in the past 5 years. If there is a change, it will never be mid season, and with over half a year advance notice like doing now.

Yes, at some point must "pay to play" but 10% of the racers in a field can't really expect the other 90% to just step up.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:21 AM
GSRcaucAZN78

and if you 26" guys ever want to set up a gamblers/outlaw race at an IFO, just call me... what ever rules you want, what ever fuel, what ever buy-in: http://importfaceoff.net/race_rules.htm#YourOwnClass
Old 09-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

5,000$ FWD shootout 11/13 ennis IFO

700 entry, 100% back to racers

10 car minimum, payout = 1st 5000 2nd 1000 3/4 500 each

2011 IFO FWD rules + E85/98 whatever mix of corn !

Anyone interested? Cliff ?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in if 2010 rules, but I assume that's why you want 2011 rules. Lol
Old 09-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nevermind, I'm a year off. LOL

I'm in.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony1
Nevermind, I'm a year off. LOL

I'm in.
Just curious, but you dont have to answer.

Would you ever consider going on a 24.5 if these outlaw races dont get filled up and the norm will be back to a 24.5 tire?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:42 AM
GSRcaucAZN78

Originally Posted by pellis90
5,000$ FWD shootout 11/13 ennis IFO

700 entry, 100% back to racers

10 car minimum, payout = 1st 5000 2nd 1000 3/4 500 each

2011 IFO FWD rules + E85/98 whatever mix of corn !

Anyone interested? Cliff ?
dooooooooooooooooooo it. Start a new thread if serious.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HPgonewild
Just curious, but you dont have to answer.

Would you ever consider going on a 24.5 if these outlaw races dont get filled up and the norm will be back to a 24.5 tire?
No

I build my car for my own satisfaction. If it gets to a point where it will have to go slower or I can't progress because of rules then I'll do whatever I want with it and go race myself at the track. I enjoy trying new things and improving my personal bests.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there will still be classes and plenty of people for every one to race and im sure the classes will change to suit the racers as time goes on and even more classes might develop
Old 09-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Cliff, on the subject of the rule changes, I understand that weight is hard to enforce. Perhaps limit power adders instead? Some of the r/awd cars are already 76mm or smaller with nitrous so I'm not sure the turbo limit will help much. But who knows, maybe the 26 guys will get down into the 8.30s next season n compete?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My car just so everyone knows fits the Hot rod class to a T. weight with driver, turbo size, penalties for awd, penalties for having to use n2o to stall, Cliff your new turbo restrictions for AWD/RWD cars allows me to go even bigger on turbo thus making my car even faster if I so wish. Like we talked about at Seattle, just keep the turbo limited to 76mm. Also I thank you for raising the payouts for FIP.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:08 AM

I don't know about 9's and 10's taking the FIP wins
elsewhere because it takes sub 8.50's to win FIP in the NW. And the RWD and AWD guys get a bigger turbo!? Lol, you got that backwards. I guess it's a 25" tire for me, in fwd.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eclipsed4speed
My car just so everyone knows fits the Hot rod class to a T. weight with driver, turbo size, penalties for awd, penalties for having to use n2o to stall, Cliff your new turbo restrictions for AWD/RWD cars allows me to go even bigger on turbo thus making my car even faster if I so wish. Like we talked about at Seattle, just keep the turbo limited to 76mm. Also I thank you for raising the payouts for FIP.
no offense to you,but your car has huge advantages over a fwd in that class...its lighter than most(2360lbs as advertised in your record thread),awd,bigger turbo,and by some miracle you have a dsm thats going rounds without breaking...

not that i wanna see you guys slowed down but at this point you're not far from knocking on the 7 second door while alot of the outlaw cars are barely running 8's and rarely make it through a whole day of racing...
Old 09-15-2011, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not a big fan of going back to a 76mm turbo. We had one on the car and switched it last winter to run IFO instead of BOTI, now we have to go back.... Please keep in mind that a Supra is probobly 1000lbs heavier than the FWD cars and close to that for the AWD (Jeff Bush).

So, If the limit is 76mm, then I suppose I can run 2 of them correct??
Old 09-15-2011, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by reactiondc2
no offense to you,but your car has huge advantages over a fwd in that class...its lighter than most(2360lbs as advertised in your record thread),awd,bigger turbo,and by some miracle you have a dsm thats going rounds without breaking...

not that i wanna see you guys slowed down but at this point you're not far from knocking on the 7 second door while alot of the outlaw cars are barely running 8's and rarely make it through a whole day of racing...
Maybe the other outlaw cars should get their game face on and go fast then.

Timmy, yes you may run 2 of the big ones
Old 09-15-2011, 08:03 AM
GSRcaucAZN78

Yes, 4 out of 5 times FIP is won by mid 9 second and slower cars. Every single 8 second or faster win was by 80+mm turbo Supras, so won't be a factor next year since limit will be 76 for them. To the Supra guys not happy about this... sorry, but there just aren't enough of you to keep the no turbo size limit rule. Big Daddy, Jamie Carter, Virtual Works, and Tim are the only ones (less than 10% of the FIP field). You can keep the big turbo if want, but will have to race in the Outlaw/anything goes class which is a $1k total payout if only 4 can be rounded up to enter.

As for twins, didn't think would need to be addressed, but since might be an issue, limit will be 60.9.

Now, the AWD cars, actually CAR, might be a problem since so light. Might make their turbo limit 72 since close to same weight as FWD.... <racers, discuss <ONLY those who actually compete regularly... e-racers, keep out.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Or just make it 76mm across the board. One way or another, if weight is the same and you're comparing AWD vs FWD, it's obvious which one should have the bigger turbo.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tims Supra still went 8.5x-8.6x on a 76mm.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IMPORT FACE-OFF schedule and rule updates (Fontana and Woodburn)...