Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

How To:Fix for excessive vibration from Avid torque mounts

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How To:Fix for excessive vibration from Avid torque mounts

Last week I got the Avid torque mounts(BTW-got them from Rob at http://www.jdmcars.com/-great price and a good dude to deal with) to replace my stock torque mounts that had poly inserts.With the ES inserts in both torque mounts and rear mount,I could still see 1/4"-1/2" of movement of the shift lever when stabbing or cutting the throttle.I felt that it contributed to me missing the 4th or 5th gear to 3rd gear downshift several times on track,so I was curious to see if the Avid mounts would help.

I expected some increase in vibration with these over the inserts,but I had no idea!The fenders,bumper,hood and lights all rattle at idle.My CD player skips,and my three year old son was crying from the noise while driving!I tried twice to loosen and retighten all mounts in the Helm's recommended sequence to relieve and preload pressure on the torque mounts that may have been contributing to this.Nothing helped.

I was almost to the point of removing and selling them,but the difference they made in the feel of the car really was noticeable.The shifter feels as direct as any RWD,linkage-less transmission I've driven.I really didn't want to give up that feeling by pussing out and taking off the mounts.This is my daily driver with 450lbF/500lbR springs,stiff shocks,no sound deadening,loud exhaust,etc...I'm willing to compromise comfort for performance,but these things were too much!

I did some searching on here,and saw quite a few people comment on the outrageous vibration and noise.

I decided today to try one more thing before I put them up for sale.I figured that if you had maybe 1/16" of play in the torque mounts,that'd allow enough movement to absorb regular engine vibration,but that play would take up instantly as soon as the engine torques under load.

The bushings are a tight fit that required a light duty press to remove them from the housings.The bushing measured right at 1.80x".

I took off material a little at a time and continued to test fit it back into the housing.After removing approximately 0.07",the bushing was now an easy slip for into the housing.I really didn't think this would be enough,but I figured I should try it before removing any more material-no reason to remove more than necessary.I figured that about 1/16" of play within the mount would be needed,but I wanted to work my way up to that....I turned the other side down to the same amount,and reinstalled them on the car.I used a bench grinder and very crudely removed the material.Far from perfect,but good enough.Ideally,a lathe could be used.

The difference is amazing.At idle,there's no more vibration than with the ES inserts.There is no difference in noticeable play at the shifter or feel than before I modded the mounts.Everything feels just as tight,there's just not the added noise and vibration.I was concerned that if i had to turn these down to the point that there was play within the housing that I'd eventually crack the urethane,since the steel sleeve would be slamming the urethane against the housing every time the engine torqued.I don't think that will be a problem though,since they're still a slight pressure fit.

Hopefully this'll help out some of the people who are having a hard time living with these mounts in their street cars.

Chris

Modified by TeamNextGenChris at 1:56 AM 1/9/2008
Old 01-10-2008, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How To:Fix for excessive vibration from Avid torque mounts (TeamNextGenChris)

Chris,
Thank you for the information.

I have worked with Avid and they will shortly (Q1 2008) be releasing a softer durometer urethane. It is going to be about a 40a durometer, about 30% softer than the current softness application.

We will be carrying these as an option as soon as they have them completed. If you want, I'll let you know how we can go about getting you a set of the softer bushings, but from your write up here; sounds like you are happy now with what you have modified. Just PM me if you want info.

Modified by jdmcars.com at 7:46 PM 1/10/2008
Old 01-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To:Fix for excessive vibration from Avid torque mounts (jdmcars.com)

Sounds awesome!
shoot me a price if you get a chance via PM for the softer urethane.i am happy with the modded inserts,but i'd like to give the softer ones a try too.
Chris
Old 01-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To:Fix for excessive vibration from Avid torque mounts (TeamNextGenChris)

Yes, Rob is correct the softer urethane will be coming soon.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To:Fix for excessive vibration from Avid torque mounts (YZFR6AVID)

So you have to modify these new mounts you just bought so that they can work good?
Old 01-11-2008, 01:06 PM

Default Re: How To:Fix for excessive vibration from Avid torque mounts (MikeySpec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MikeySpec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So you have to modify these new mounts you just bought so that they can work good?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No -you don't have to modify the mount to work as they were designed. The mounts are designed to stiffen the flex from the motor torque which allows more power to the wheels.

In the above case -Chris was looking for something just not as stiff as what is currently offered, so he decided to modify the exsisting urathane to allow for some room for more flex.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To:Fix for excessive vibration from Avid torque mounts (MikeySpec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MikeySpec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So you have to modify these new mounts you just bought so that they can work good?</TD></TR></TABLE>
no,they "work good" just how they come.actually,they work WAY better than anything i've tried to date at controlling engine movement.
they just transmit a little more vibration to the chassis than i liked for daily driving.i modded them to see how it would work.
as Rob said,they're working on softer urethane that'll be more street friendly.
i also have an ES insert in the rear mount that i'm sure contributes to the vibration.i can say for sure that you don't need any additional inserts when using the Avid torque mounts,as they do a good enough job on their own.removing the rear mount insert may have lowered the level of vibration to a point that i was happy with,without modding the torque mounts.
Chris
Old 01-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I run these mounts also, bought them a year ago and when I car was first started I was laughing my *** off, thought the car was going to fall apart. I also run a solid rear mount and a stock upper mount. I have since just learned to live with it, a softer option is a great idea. I am concerned about how much flex is possible now with the softer inserts?
Old 01-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (96 GSR-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 GSR-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I run these mounts also, bought them a year ago and when I car was first started I was laughing my *** off, thought the car was going to fall apart. I also run a solid rear mount and a stock upper mount. I have since just learned to live with it, a softer option is a great idea. I am concerned about how much flex is possible now with the softer inserts? </TD></TR></TABLE>
i can't see it allowing much more flex,if any at all with the softer urethane.there's no voids allow movement like the stock mounts,and the urethane is only a relatively small band.i'd say it will only differ by abosrbing more vibration.
Chris
Old 01-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TeamNextGenChris)

To Avid: are yall going to post any vibration analysis reports to show the difference?? It would be kind of a guessing game with me b/c i have neither and i would just like to see the numbers (vibration Chris is talking about) compared to the new inserts
Old 01-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (projectcivicjp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by projectcivicjp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To Avid: are yall going to post any vibration analysis reports to show the difference?? It would be kind of a guessing game with me b/c i have neither and i would just like to see the numbers (vibration Chris is talking about) compared to the new inserts</TD></TR></TABLE>
either way,i'll definitely report back in this thread once i get my new inserts on how they compare to the harder inserts before being modded and after being modded....also,i'll report on if removing my rear ES insert makes a difference(but i'll wait to do that until i test the new inserts so there's no other changes).
Chris
Old 01-13-2008, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TeamNextGenChris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamNextGenChris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
either way,i'll definitely report back in this thread once i get my new inserts on how they compare to the harder inserts before being modded and after being modded....also,i'll report on if removing my rear ES insert makes a difference(but i'll wait to do that until i test the new inserts so there's no other changes).
Chris</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds good man. id like to hear about these. im looking to get some torque mounts here in the next month or so when income tax time rolls around.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (projectcivicjp)

I have the same mounts in my car and I exp the same "excessive vibration" more so from the timing side mount I hate it but have learned to live with it
Old 09-11-2008, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To:Fix for excessive vibration from Avid torque mounts (jdmcars.com)

any updates on the softer urethane ???
Old 09-11-2008, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To:Fix for excessive vibration from Avid torque mounts (Cole D)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cole D &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any updates on the softer urethane ???</TD></TR></TABLE>

Softer urethane is already available. If anyone doesn't like the 70A durometer bushings that is supplied with this application, just give us a call or your local dealer for an exchange for softer urethane.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To:Fix for excessive vibration from Avid torque mounts (YZFR6AVID)

i sort of took an opposite approach with my daily driven integra. i run an Avid rear engine mount (hard urethane), no torque mounts, and stock upper mounts. the stiff rear mount stops the engine from moving, but doesnt cause the car to vibrate. the rear mount is the pivot point.

this is a stock gsr motor, depending on the power level of the car i'd run the full set of engine mounts. i cant stand an engine that moves!

thats awesome the softer urethane is available. Avid
Old 09-12-2008, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To:Fix for excessive vibration from Avid torque mounts (Turbo-charged)

I tried rear mount on my street car and it vibrates like crazy. I have avid torque mounts and still vibrates which I was going to take out.

Where can I send my mount to get softer urethane.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To:Fix for excessive vibration from Avid torque mounts (Turbocivic94)

We can send you softer urethane. Just e-mail us at info@avidracing.com or call in. Hope that helps
Old 09-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

email sent. Thanks
Old 07-16-2010, 06:36 AM
Trial User

Default Re: How To:Fix for excessive vibration from Avid torque mounts

I also have the same problem as described by TeamNextGenChris. After the installation of the Avids Billet Aluminum Mount Kit, Part# AC.MM.004 into my 1995 Integra GS-R. On first impression - the vibration with the new mounts are overwhelming. The dash, fender, hood, armrest, all vibrate as if the car was being jack hammered. It is unpleasant for the driver. I imagined the vibration will causes "noise" fatigue for he driver.

Driving Impression:
The feeling when shifting is great. I like how precise the shifting is with the Avid mounts.

I sent email info@avidracing.com
Old 02-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any have any further results from these low durometer inserts for the avid torque mounts with a stock rear mount?
Old 02-16-2011, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

These mounts break in and get less harsh in time.

When you first install them, it does sound like the engines coming apart at 4k lol

Avids are very nice. I highly recommend all 5 mounts for an aggressive street/strip setup.

Avid needs to offer a shifter option that will hold up to some abuse. I like those autoworks linkage setups.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have 75a track mounts in my car and i dont have a single rattle and there billet just got to tighten alll your stuff up that rattles and secure the car. its not the mounts fault that your car sounds like its falling apart lol
Old 02-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here. I'm running a 5 piece Avid setup and don't have any excess vibration. This was when I tore the car down and reinstalled everything so for anyone that hasn't taken their dash apart, it might be a good idea to tighten everything that's rattling.

The torque mounts do a great job in helping to limit engine movement for me personally.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is there a way to purchase a set of these mounts with the softer bushing already installed? and has anyone yet tried the softer bushings? i was just thinking about purchasing some from ebay for $97 bucks because i like the fact that these will last way longer then stock ones due to there design. However i would like to not have all the vibration in my current daily driven show car