Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Gauging interest: allowing engine swaps in Street Stock

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gauging interest: allowing engine swaps in Street Stock

Before all you S/S guys get your diapies in a bunch, hear me out....

IMO allowing engine swaps in S/S under the same rules except requiring them to run 93 octane pump gas would benefit EVERYONE.

Once the word gets around the class will have full 16 car fields at all events guaranteed. This would make for better racing and FULL payouts.

The majority of daily driven cars have engine swaps and these guys would love to come out and race if they have a place to fit in.

The class would remain a 12 second class as it has always been and if for some reason it did get out of hand, the rules on swaped cars could always be adjusted to further limit et's. such as weight limits etc.

I believe this would be a great step in providing a place for the majority of grassroots allmotor racers to fit in before taking the expensive step up to sportsman allmotor
Old 07-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gauging interest: allowing engine swaps in Street Stock

This is suppose to be an integra class. I would vote against it and I don't even drive an integra.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you could satisfy both sides by allowing swaps that came in some type of integra. at least this would allow everyone to use the b18c.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NAH2B
IMO allowing engine swaps in S/S under the same rules except requiring them to run 93 octane pump gas would benefit EVERYONE.
I think its more of a hassle to check fuel than weight... Also, fuel isnt as big of an issue on most street cars...

The class would remain a 12 second class as it has always been and if for some reason it did get out of hand, the rules on swaped cars could always be adjusted to further limit et's. such as weight limits etc.
this class would be a possibly be mid 11 to high 11 seconds... A RS-Piston B20 build swapped into a EG or CRX can easily run 11s very easily...

If youre going to change it, do it right.. to balance things out...
put weight restrictions, require DOT drag radials on swapped cars, and allow K-swaps in integras...
Old 07-21-2009, 03:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xtrafastcivic
This is suppose to be an integra class. I would vote against it and I don't even drive an integra.
nah, it has been a class for cars w/ oem type motors (no swaps) basicaly.

there have been a couple low 12 sec integras in this class already....
Old 07-21-2009, 03:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ALLMOTOR18
I think its more of a hassle to check fuel than weight... Also, fuel isnt as big of an issue on most street cars...

this class would be a possibly be mid 11 to high 11 seconds... A RS-Piston B20 build swapped into a EG or CRX can easily run 11s very easily...

If youre going to change it, do it right.. to balance things out...
put weight restrictions, require DOT drag radials on swapped cars, and allow K-swaps in integras...
it would be a 12 second class as i stated. if swaped cars were to dip into 11's on a regular basis it would be simple to add weight to them in order to keep a level playing field

drag radials suck on fwd n/a cars period. nobody wants to see cars breaking driveline parts off the line due to the required use of radials

weight limits can be added later, but its not the correct place to start. 93 pump gas MUST be required otherwise you WILL have purpose built cars dominating the class even w/ added weight for example a car like Loan's or Tim's......
Old 07-21-2009, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it would be a 12 second class as i stated. if swaped cars were to dip into 11's on a regular basis it would be simple to add weight to them in order to keep a level playing field

drag radials suck on fwd n/a cars period. nobody wants to see cars breaking driveline parts off the line due to the required use of radials

weight limits can be added later, but its not the correct place to start. 93 pump gas MUST be required otherwise you WILL have purpose built cars dominating the class even w/ added weight for example a car like Loan's or Tim's......

my 2 cents, I think the whole 93 pump gas is gay, when I can go to a pump that has 87 89 91 E85.....it going to get to the point where you will have purpose built cars in this class also.... IMO.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yawn... another 11 sec honda hatch class
Old 07-21-2009, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think this class is fine where its at. Im actually considering building a car for this class...
Old 07-21-2009, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Count me in as long as I can run a B18 as well.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IMSTAR/World Cup has proven that this class can be full as it is if you just promote and get the word out. I say leave the class alone. If swaps were to be allowed weight/tires are the only ways to regulate them not gas. No sanctioning body is going to check for gas and even if they did K-series can make 300whp or close enough on pump. The beauty of this class right now is that there are a ton of different cars that can come race and be competitive. Change the rules and it will be another Honda Hatch class as Tuna stated.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

restricting it to B swaps would put out the prelude guys. i don't know if H to H swaps are legal, since they originally came in the car, but in my prelude I would be limited to the B20A3 or A5 of the B21, neither of which are NA monsters and the only available swaps are the H, and quite honestly I have no want to go to a smaller engine then what came originally equipped and I like the H motors better anyways. And yeah, no DRs
Old 07-21-2009, 08:11 AM
Formerly Mike@TSR

I agree with Randy for the most part. I had this idea a while back also.
Just look at the IFO md event. the "all motor street" type class was a hit. full field i think. Incorporating the swapped cars that cant compete in the faster all motor class might benefit.

But, I kinda see where the s/s guys are coming from because a k swapped ef that i built ended up winning, lol. Granted he was on slicks, so limiting him to street tires would have a huge effect on that particular car's performance. I can also say that he wouldnt even have came to the race to spectate if that class wasnt there, along with a few others.
Not to put anyone down, but most swapped street cars arent really set up for drag racing only. I know that particular ef has soft coilovers, 22 inch dry rotted slicks, and an inexperienced driver. put him on some street tires and the s/s guys will win hands down. lol
That being said, the guys with true "s/s" class built cars will be plently competitive racing against those cars since they have been racing for a while now, have the car set up, on slicks, etc.
One more thing, does anyone really think someone would build a 300+whp car to race it on street tires? With that power the car would be a contender in the faster all motor class, just my $00,000.02
Old 07-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Leave the class alone and just promote it more. have a boti rep in tech edge on guys running brakets to go for street stock. i see plenty of all motor tegs, rsx, ludes, s2000s at events in cali.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vivid 02
Leave the class alone and just promote it more. have a boti rep in tech edge on guys running brakets to go for street stock. i see plenty of all motor tegs, rsx, ludes, s2000s at events in cali.
i agree leave it alone just promote it there are more than enough cars at every event to have a full field but theyre off in brackets not many people know about this class or know the exact rules off the class so they just hop in brackets
Old 07-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BIGTUNA
yawn... another 11 sec honda hatch class
lol def
Old 07-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mike@PSI
I agree with Randy for the most part. I had this idea a while back also.
Just look at the IFO md event. the "all motor street" type class was a hit. full field i think. Incorporating the swapped cars that cant compete in the faster all motor class might benefit.

But, I kinda see where the s/s guys are coming from because a k swapped ef that i built ended up winning, lol. Granted he was on slicks, so limiting him to street tires would have a huge effect on that particular car's performance. I can also say that he wouldnt even have came to the race to spectate if that class wasnt there, along with a few others.
Not to put anyone down, but most swapped street cars arent really set up for drag racing only. I know that particular ef has soft coilovers, 22 inch dry rotted slicks, and an inexperienced driver. put him on some street tires and the s/s guys will win hands down. lol
That being said, the guys with true "s/s" class built cars will be plently competitive racing against those cars since they have been racing for a while now, have the car set up, on slicks, etc.
One more thing, does anyone really think someone would build a 300+whp car to race it on street tires? With that power the car would be a contender in the faster all motor class, just my $00,000.02

Thanks Mike

I can definately see it being dificult to regulate pump gas, but the reason i keep suggesting it is because it is the ONLY thing that will keep someone from building an all out purpose built motor to dominate the class.

Drag radials would be another option however they will cause broken parts and turn some guys away, and there have been purpose built K cars running low 11's on radials and race gas a few years ago (Loan and Brian).

To those of you who keep saying "promote the class"...thats not what this thread is about. This thread is about giving common engine swap cars a class to be competitive in and getting more people to the track to help the sport grow.

Also im not suggesting this for my own benefit in any way. I gain NOTHING from this. I am simply trying to get more guys to the track to help the sport grow and this is an idea that can definately be tweaked to work great for everyones benefit

This exact class (S/S along w/ swaps) had a full field at IFO capitol and as Mike said a swaped car won, however a street stock car did come in a close second.

Everyone can say promote promote promote all they want, well incase you havent noticed that hasnt been working for the past oh i dunno 5+yrs or so
Old 07-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so heres a question for everyone:

Lets assume you own a company which has slowly been falling apart over the past several years.

Do you make the necessary changes and maybe try some new ideas out to see what works and what doesnt. Maybe breath some life back into this company?

Or do you stay the course, keep everything the same and run it into the ground until theres nothing left?

My point is everyone needs to open up to new ideas and start thinking outside the box, give something a chance before you are so quick to condemn it. otherwise this sport will go nowhere fast....
Old 07-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

like i said in another thread theres about 3-5 cars out here alone that are in the 11.0-11.3 range on chevron 91 octane im not saying they would drop down to s/s from s/p but its possible

but either way i would still race
hopefully somthing works
Old 07-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Formerly Mike@TSR

on street tires? n/a? honda?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not street tires but theyre n/a hondas
Old 07-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Everyone can say promote promote promote all they want, well incase you havent noticed that hasnt been working for the past oh i dunno 5+yrs or so
S/S is in only 2 series BOTI and IMSTAR/Wordcup Finals

BOTI does ZERO promotion for S/S hence the reason there is no turn out!!!!

Jason Miller does allot of promotion on allot a different forums and S/S always has a great turn out at MIR and has been growing.

At the last IMSTAR race there was more S/S cars than allmotor cars.

At the world cup finals there were more S/S (34)cars than allmotor street cars(27).

MIR has no problem getting S/S cars except when Boti rolls threw, then its ghost town.

Why mess up a good thing? S/S isnt hurting for cars BOTI is. So don't base your argument of their turnout and act like S/S has been dead for 5 yrs and needs to be fixed. If anything S/S has exploded in Mid Atlantic area in the last 2 years, fix your own class turnout before you start wanting to change a class that you have no involvement or investment in.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BIGTUNA
S/S is in only 2 series BOTI and IMSTAR/Wordcup Finals

BOTI does ZERO promotion for S/S hence the reason there is no turn out!!!!

Jason Miller does allot of promotion on allot a different forums and S/S always has a great turn out at MIR and has been growing.

At the last IMSTAR race there was more S/S cars than allmotor cars.

At the world cup finals there were more S/S (34)cars than allmotor street cars(27).

MIR has no problem getting S/S cars except when Boti rolls threw, then its ghost town.

Why mess up a good thing? S/S isnt hurting for cars BOTI is. So don't base your argument of their turnout and act like S/S has been dead for 5 yrs and needs to be fixed. If anything S/S has exploded in Mid Atlantic area in the last 2 years, fix your own class turnout before you start wanting to change a class that you have no involvement or investment in.

Tuna, your COMPLETELY missing where im going w/ this.

My goal isnt to "fix" street stock and im certainley not concerned w/ boti in any way, i doubt they will even come east next season.

My intention is to give the everyday joe w/ an engine swap a class to race in. Just like i did at IFO capitol.

I never said street stock was in need of fixing, and i certainly never mentioned boti. Do everyone a favor and please stop jumping to conclusions.

Why wouldnt you want to open up your class to include other racers aned really make an impact in the allmotor area of this sport?

Grassroots allmotor has always been my passion and im simply trying to give guys a place to race who normally dont attend events because they dont fit in anywhere else.

There are a ton of these cars out there(double the amount of allmotor and s/s put together) and it would be wise on your part to want to help get them involved in the sport
Old 07-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ctr_ek209
not street tires but theyre n/a hondas
i seriously doubt they fit s/s rules

if thats the case **** we must be doing something wrong over here.....

somebody call Norris and let him know he can run 91 pump and still go 10's on this coast
Old 07-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why wouldnt you want to open up your class to include other racers and really make an impact in the allmotor area of this sport?
Hmm I wonder why? All the bitching you have done about tim/loan being 1/2 second ahead of your class and how it keeps racers away then you act like its no big deal to throw cars in a class I and the majority of S/S (12.5-13.5) cars dont stand a chance against thus pushing us out.

Grassroots allmotor has always been my passion and im simply trying to give guys a place to race who normally dont attend events because they dont fit in anywhere else.
Are the current S/S racers not grassroots enough for you? They don't deserve to have a class to race against other non swap cars? They should just roll over and let a rule change happen that will make their cars no longer qualify?

**** gets aggrivating when you bust your *** to go out and race competivily in a class on a small bugdet and people act like it should be no big deal to throw in way faster cars.

Quick Reply: Gauging interest: allowing engine swaps in Street Stock