Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

ever deal with Jake's racing engines?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never deal with Jake's racing engines?

JRE in hawthorne ca. jake weiler anyone have any dealings with him? cause i have and so far not proud of it.

Modified by sloanrad at 9:42 PM 5/5/2004
Old 05-05-2004, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Never deal with Jake's racing engines? (sloanrad)

What happend?
Old 05-05-2004, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Never deal with Jake's racing engines? (lucky one)

They built Jarrod Silvers race engines a few seasons ago.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:58 AM

Default Re: Never deal with Jake's racing engines? (antigravity)

i ordered this bottem end nov 19 2003 shiped block and crank to be sleeved line bored & stroke the crank, he had cunningham do the rods (there nice) ross built the pistons. was told we would have this by second week jan2004. i sent half patment on 19 nov. was payed in full by dec. 5, 03 we got the parts feb.26,04. after a weeked of checking these parts the block was junk. cylenders were .005 out of round, looked like they were finished with 80grit sand paper with some deep scratches at the bottem of #4. the line bore was bad cause when you put the crank in it locked up. i sent it all back march 1st he had it re line bored, rebored the cylinders .010 more and had ross build another set of pistons. i got it back may 3rd but the line bore is still junk. won't spin free, hangs up in one spot so tight you can't turn it by hand. the rings he sent for this bore have .022 gap. i called him he said there was no othe ring that would fit. and when he installed the crank before sending it back the second time it just had a little tight spot. now i have missed 3 national's. i have built race engines sence mid 70s' i'm 43yo grew up in my grandfathers machine shop & owened my own shop for 8 years, sold out of it in 89. my son got me in the honda's he's the driver. i've drove ump late modle stock cars all my life, and built many engine's of all kinds but have never payed so much money for this kind of junk.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:36 AM

maybe thass why Silvers engine smoked for half a season
Old 05-06-2004, 05:52 AM

Default Re: Never deal with Jake's racing engines? (antigravity)

i'm trying to but some pics up but not working yet.

my son and i built this car last year, all motor crx only had it out 4 times, between getting the car ready, buying enclosed trailer and setting it up, then got to big of trailer so needed new truck. we got behind on the engine so we took it to memphis last year for the first time out with a 1.8 lsvetec. ran 11.53 with 1.55 60ft. took it to stlouis in july 03 with same engine ran 11.32 about same 60ft. our first national was nopi at stlouis with same engine but abetter head ran 11.22 w/1.52 60ft. oct 31 we went back to stlouis with a 2.0 and had added a traction bar on the rear of the car and ran 10.98 w/ 1.45 60ft. were using aem ems to tune the engines and they are great. this year were planning to run all of nopi and some nhra. but are behind cause of this. i was waiting to see what this engine would do before building the next. but have had to jump past it and go ahead with another. i'm also working with aem testing the 1040u ems that will replace the 1000. it has 4 coil outputs and internal o2 controler (nice).

Old 05-06-2004, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

go to rs machines they do a very good job.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:09 AM

Default Re: (FAST4DORR)

yeh i'm talking to them, r&d, golden eagle.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry for your misfortunes. but, if you've built race engines before, why did you decide to have someone else build your engine?
Old 05-06-2004, 08:36 AM

damn sorry to hear that.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Never deal with Jake's racing engines? (EGbrknuoff)

They built a motor for a str sponsored car driven by this dude named mario.That motor ran strong as hell, but that might have been a good motor since he was a personal friend of jake's...
Old 05-06-2004, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Never deal with Jake's racing engines? (Hatch4urSnatch)

We assemble all of our own engines, we decided to use JAKES RACING ENGINES to help build a bottom end for this year, it is easier for him because his is located on the westcoast, were we are in missouri, it takes five days just to ship or receive anything from either coast, so that was his job, we send him crank block, and specs to what we want, and he was supposed to take care of it, we know how to do the work, and how it should be done. We do not have all the right equipment to do this type of work our self , thats why we went through JAKES RACING, he said that he had the experience and the links to get this work done, within a reasonable time and right, two times later crank still doesn't spin. After the first round with him, block being .005" and more out of round and crank not spinning, we thought he might check things alittle closer the second time. Back to my point we were trying to find a good reliable engine builder that could help us this year maybe make things easier on us, someone we could rely on, to have us quality work done like sleeving blocks, offset welding cranks, etc and when its right send it back to us and we assemble it... Clay Sloan
Old 05-06-2004, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Never deal with Jake's racing engines? (CSRacing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FAST4DORR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go to rs machines they do a very good job.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

RS does excelent work, i'm very happy with their work..
Old 05-06-2004, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What would you say to someone who told you when they checked your crank, in your block, that it did have ALITTLE TIGHT SPOT, but should go away after you run it alittle? I dont know what some people call alittle TIGHT, but not being able to turn the crank at all????? come on. Even with the crank installed and not torked all the way it will only turn about half a turn. All the bearings setup with .0017 to .0018" same crank in another block spins like a ball bearing. Just alittle more of and example of what we are dealing with, and have missed three races already this year! Anyone who knows anything about a engine knows that it should not have any TIGHT spots in the crank when spinning, and if it did have just alittle TIGHT spot why would you send it out to your customer? We might be alittle redneck out here in Missouri, but not STUPID!!!!
Old 05-06-2004, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Never deal with Jake's racing engines? (Group Tenacity)

rs machines had my block for 7 weeks and avoiding my phone calls i dont vouch for them no more im a dealer for them and its not very business like. i send my blocks to ge and recieve them right on time..... when it comes to racing you need a reliable source that can get the job done in the time frame that they give you i got a customer thats wants to kill me cuz rs is taking there sweet time with this block..oh by the way the sleeves split open and blows head gaskets.,thats why i sent it back for warranty maybe they dont back there motors?...i guess thats the only thiong i can do cuz i dont get any responce from them. good guys,maybe lagggers yes they are 2wks turnaround......no x's that by3 then some i NEED MY BLOCK BACK PLEASE IF YOU KNOW JOHN OR RICH TELL THEM TO FINISH MY CUSTOMERS BLOCK PLEASE YOU GUYS CAN DO IT THANKS PARKS....
Old 05-06-2004, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Never deal with Jake's racing engines? (HARTENG)

i've personally have seen a motor Jake built make over 300hp to the wheels all motor on church's dyna pack dyno all motor... a few cars on a fastest all motor street cars list were also built by Jake... i've never seen anything but good things from him...
Old 05-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Never deal with Jake's racing engines? (Drag_Racer_DRU)

Yes thats why we decided to deal with him, we have one hell of a package here if it would ever assemble right. I know that he has assembled some large engines before and they have produced good power, and ours would to if it would go together.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:35 AM

Default Re: Never deal with Jake's racing engines? (HARTENG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HARTENG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">rs machines had my block for 7 weeks and avoiding my phone calls i dont vouch for them no more im a dealer for them and its not very business like. i send my blocks to ge and recieve them right on time..... when it comes to racing you need a reliable source that can get the job done in the time frame that they give you i got a customer thats wants to kill me cuz rs is taking there sweet time with this block..oh by the way the sleeves split open and blows head gaskets.,thats why i sent it back for warranty maybe they dont back there motors?...i guess thats the only thiong i can do cuz i dont get any responce from them. good guys,maybe lagggers yes they are 2wks turnaround......no x's that by3 then some i NEED MY BLOCK BACK PLEASE IF YOU KNOW JOHN OR RICH TELL THEM TO FINISH MY CUSTOMERS BLOCK PLEASE YOU GUYS CAN DO IT THANKS PARKS....</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry about your problems. i agree about the time frame deal. we started pleanty early (so i thought) but this is now 6 months later, already sent it back once and stiil don't have it right.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:41 PM

thought i would update this post. after another week lost and going to miss another national this weekend, we got the block line honed at a local shop and the crank will spin NOW!!!! so now lets check deck height but wait i didn't get any wrist pins with the second set of pistons. i ordered some from ross cause i'm tired of talking to someone how thinks a little tight spot in a a crank rotation is acceptable in any engine. so while i wait lets grind the clearance in the bottom of the cylinder's for the rods, till i get to #3 and the custom crank he sent me has negitive side clearance for the rod. the nice cunningham ultra lite rod won't even go on the crank, the sides of the rod lock the rod before the bearing can touch the crank. remember i have already sent this block & crank back once and told jake the crank wasn't right, the cylinders were .005 out of round, and the line bore was not right. i know ... your thinking no one could screw up that much. but he did and redone the bore and had ross rebuild pistons .010 bigger. said they reline bored but looked like the filed on the edge of the journal a little. don't look like the crank is any different.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:22 AM
Trial User

Default Re: ever deal with Jake's racing engines?

This is an old thread but I thought I'd clarify a few things.These guys were con artists.. first off Mike st RS machine did all the block work.. when they contacted me about some of these so called issues I was willing to help. Problem was they had already ran that motor that they asssembled and blew it up.. so instead of sending me back the parts so I could inspect the parts at hand that they claim were wrong. They went around me and Tried to go directly through Ross and Chunningham. Which is interesting because if so much was wrong with the parts I sold them why did mr 20 year engine builder still put that motor together and run it then spinn three different rods.. Bottom line is these guys disputed 1700.00 on their credit card and I never once did I received any parts back for inspection refund or otherwise.. Con artist using my good name at the time to slander me.. this is why the Honda scene sucks and many have moved on.. And for the record we had three cars in the top five at that time two of which Jeremy and Jarrod were 1&2.. and they weren't my friends.. I pushed the limit for all real racers and didn't hold back.. Plently of people got 98-106 mm cranks back then.. whether they could handle the responsibility of what comes with that was on them as 'engine builders. But engines I did had no l problems.other than break record and make hp..... These guys were busters. Oh yeah Jarrod's car smoked for half a season because we ran 2 ring Pistons back when that was just a wet dream for most as in everybody (but Dave HSu maybe)....He Jarrod won nopi 2001 pro stock series. Not Jeremy not Norris not any of R&d cars.. they were still learning lol!!

And a little side note.. to this day Ross and Cunningham and I still do business.. just the Honda scene is dead I realized that were on to bigger and better things!

Jake

Last edited by Jre104; 09-28-2016 at 03:42 AM.