Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Drmix's 96 CGP GSR Turbo Drag Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Drmix's 96 CGP GSR Turbo Drag Build Thread

Replaced the deck on the trailer today. Made a time lapse of it all.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ended up getting my alignment done last week.

Loaded up and ready to go

Results

They told me that I needed to replace my left inner tie rod and also my right outer since they have some slight play in them. There is a test and tune this saturday and then next weekend is Honda Fest. I will replace both of those after the events which will give me time to schedule for another alignment right after.

Other than that not a whole lot going on with the car. Hoping to get an ATV in the next few weeks so that has been where my money has been going for now. Once I get that then ill start saving for more parts.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got around to replacing my windshield strip today. Hopefully the extra 2 inches will help with the sun setting in the evening at the track. Its pretty brutal and sets directly in line with the drag strip.

Before - Flat black

The goods

After - Gloss black
Old 04-09-2017, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Been a bit since I posted on here. Picked up a new toy last week.

2005 Yamaha YFZ450

Then today was HondaFest! First time running the car with skinnies and the Blox Drag suspension. The car felt very stable off the line and hooked. With some more time with the setup I am hoping to get lower into the 11s.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice not bad
Old 04-12-2017, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Wish I could get my 60ft's down to your level. My EG Hatch's best is a 10.82 but at 142 mph. You making very good use of the power you have ;-)
Old 04-12-2017, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice pass man!! You have a very efficient setup. I would love to see you consistently in the 10s with a little more power. Any plans on turning the boost up or getting a race gas tune? Not sure how much more your turbo has in it.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by extremeracer
Wish I could get my 60ft's down to your level. My EG Hatch's best is a 10.82 but at 142 mph. You making very good use of the power you have ;-)
What is your best 60ft? I think I can still go lower on my tire pressure just trying to be just above the breaking point for the stock axles lol.

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
Nice pass man!! You have a very efficient setup. I would love to see you consistently in the 10s with a little more power. Any plans on turning the boost up or getting a race gas tune? Not sure how much more your turbo has in it.
Thanks! Yeah I dont think I can go too much lower in the 11s without more power. Ill be replacing the tie rods before the next test and tune so I will be doing some adjustment with the suspension before getting an alignment. Thinking about going maybe an inch or so lower all around. The Blox suspension is alot stiffer than my Koni/GC setup was so I dont have to leave quite as much room in the front fenders as I use to. Hoping to get a 3 piece front end sometime this year so I can go much lower in the front. Really just trying to make changes to the car that dont involve messing with the motor. No plans for turning up the boost this year. My little 750cc injectors are maxed out so if I wanted to add more power I would have to swap those out which would mean a retune. I plan on sleeving the motor this winter anyways so larger injectors along with a COP setup will go on at the same time.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by drmix
Thanks! Yeah I dont think I can go too much lower in the 11s without more power. Ill be replacing the tie rods before the next test and tune so I will be doing some adjustment with the suspension before getting an alignment. Thinking about going maybe an inch or so lower all around. The Blox suspension is alot stiffer than my Koni/GC setup was so I dont have to leave quite as much room in the front fenders as I use to. Hoping to get a 3 piece front end sometime this year so I can go much lower in the front. Really just trying to make changes to the car that dont involve messing with the motor. No plans for turning up the boost this year. My little 750cc injectors are maxed out so if I wanted to add more power I would have to swap those out which would mean a retune. I plan on sleeving the motor this winter anyways so larger injectors along with a COP setup will go on at the same time.
You could possibly squeeze another tenth of two out of it by setting up full throttle shifting. I remember that making a pretty big difference in my old hatch. It was so weird not letting off the gas the first couple passes, but once I got used to it I loved it. It's pretty easy to setup, you just need to wire your cruise control canceling switch (located by the clutch pedal) to the ecu and set up the parameters.

Did you notice any difference after putting the holes in your rear bumper? I'm thinking about doing the same to my db8.

Keep up the good work dude!
Old 04-12-2017, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You could possibly squeeze another tenth of two out of it by setting up full throttle shifting. I remember that making a pretty big difference in my old hatch. It was so weird not letting off the gas the first couple passes, but once I got used to it I loved it. It's pretty easy to setup, you just need to wire your cruise control canceling switch (located by the clutch pedal) to the ecu and set up the parameters.

Did you notice any difference after putting the holes in your rear bumper? I'm thinking about doing the same to my db8.

Keep up the good work dude!
I do have full throttle shift I just forget to use it sometimes lol. Its just second nature to push in the clutch when shifting. Pretty sure I can squeeze an 11.0-11.1 with this setup dialed in properly. Going to take a look at the car when I do the tie rods and see what else I can delete or adjust to get some better times.

Not too sure how much the diffuser helped with the rear bumper since I think I made a couple of changes to the car at that time. I dont see how it wouldnt help but I dont really have any concrete evidence to prove anything. The way I see it is if the fast guys are still doing it then there must be a reason for it. Its a cheap mod so I would say go for it.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I do have full throttle shift I just forget to use it sometimes lol. Its just second nature to push in the clutch when shifting. Pretty sure I can squeeze an 11.0-11.1 with this setup dialed in properly. Going to take a look at the car when I do the tie rods and see what else I can delete or adjust to get some better times.

Not too sure how much the diffuser helped with the rear bumper since I think I made a couple of changes to the car at that time. I dont see how it wouldnt help but I dont really have any concrete evidence to prove anything. The way I see it is if the fast guys are still doing it then there must be a reason for it. Its a cheap mod so I would say go for it.
Wait a second I'm confused now lol. When I said full throttle shifting I ment still pushing in the clutch to shift, but holding the throttle wide open while doing so. I guess it's also called no lift shifting. You make it sound like you don't push in the clutch? Maybe you just worded it wrong or I can't read haha.

Yeah I think I'm just going to go ahead and order a rear bumper diffuser, they are cheap and I like the way yours turned.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wait a second I'm confused now lol. When I said full throttle shifting I ment still pushing in the clutch to shift, but holding the throttle wide open while doing so. I guess it's also called no lift shifting. You make it sound like you don't push in the clutch? Maybe you just worded it wrong or I can't read haha.

Yeah I think I'm just going to go ahead and order a rear bumper diffuser, they are cheap and I like the way yours turned.
Oh wow yeah you are right lol. Not sure what i was thinking haha. Yeah just keeping the throttle down all the time and clutching like normal lol.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just stumbled upon this thread and it was cool to see your journey. I'm sure you have 10s on that teg considering it is still quite heavy, and a 13x9 or 13x10 wheels with 24.5x9 slicks will definitely help get that 60ft down. I remember breaking into high 10s with a 1.5 60ft 7.0 1/8 trapping 126mph I look forward to more updates on this car.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jun Villaruz
Just stumbled upon this thread and it was cool to see your journey. I'm sure you have 10s on that teg considering it is still quite heavy, and a 13x9 or 13x10 wheels with 24.5x9 slicks will definitely help get that 60ft down. I remember breaking into high 10s with a 1.5 60ft 7.0 1/8 trapping 126mph I look forward to more updates on this car.
Yeah I think 10s are possible. I have been planning on switching to 13x10 wheels at some point which will drop my 60ft along with give me more tire options next year when I am sleeved. Once I do that I can also ditch my heavy ITR/Mini Cooper front brake setup for something lighter which im sure my axles will love.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I think 10s are possible. I have been planning on switching to 13x10 wheels at some point which will drop my 60ft along with give me more tire options next year when I am sleeved. Once I do that I can also ditch my heavy ITR/Mini Cooper front brake setup for something lighter which im sure my axles will love.
Great progress as always Justin.

When you get rid of that ever popular TI mini cooper brake mod I would suggest trying a lightweight front drag brake setup. It is a 20 pound savings over stock Integra brakes plus you have even larger Mini Cooper brakes. Just a thought... Doing more with less and maybe help push you closer toward those 10's on this setup that you are after.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by luck4rmkc
Great progress as always Justin.

When you get rid of that ever popular TI mini cooper brake mod I would suggest trying a lightweight front drag brake setup. It is a 20 pound savings over stock Integra brakes plus you have even larger Mini Cooper brakes. Just a thought... Doing more with less and maybe help push you closer toward those 10's on this setup that you are after.
Thanks Josh. I got a quote a couple weeks ago for $595 shipped for the front KS Tuned setup which is what I really want to do. Just depends on how much funds I have left but it WILL happen sooner or later. Are you running the KS Tuned brake setup all around? If I was to do the KS Tuned rear trailing arm and brakes all around I should be able to drop around 100lbs I would think.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

595 shipped nice but why? I been looking to pick those up too for my ef hehe
Old 04-26-2017, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Josh. I got a quote a couple weeks ago for $595 shipped for the front KS Tuned setup which is what I really want to do. Just depends on how much funds I have left but it WILL happen sooner or later. Are you running the KS Tuned brake setup all around? If I was to do the KS Tuned rear trailing arm and brakes all around I should be able to drop around 100lbs I would think.
Your weight savings between the two will be more like 75 lbs total with the KS Tuned RTA and the Front drag brakes. I have the KS Tuned rear arms but my front drag brakes are not the KS tuned brakes. They are some #blunicorn special parts lol. However the KS Tuned front brakes should also be a good product for you as well.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just some random pics I took at the last test and tune on Wednesday. I ended up running a 11.4 and 11.5 too well.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good stuff. Keep up the good work- I'm over on the Eastern Washington side, nice seeing fellow race neighbors.

Maybe be see you at some events this season.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy
good stuff. Keep up the good work- I'm over on the Eastern Washington side, nice seeing fellow race neighbors.

Maybe be see you at some events this season.
Thanks man. Ill be at Import Faceoff at Pacific Raceways at the end of August if you make it over this way for that.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice man. cant wait to race mines
Old 05-09-2017, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome thread & setup. I have a similar setup i'm working on in a dc chassis as well.

Also what are the lines routing into your driver fender?

Lastly, what trans are you running?
Old 05-09-2017, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man. Ill be at Import Faceoff at Pacific Raceways at the end of August if you make it over this way for that.
Planning on getting to that one if I'm in town and not working.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LD9Stunner
Awesome thread & setup. I have a similar setup i'm working on in a dc chassis as well.

Also what are the lines routing into your driver fender?

Lastly, what trans are you running?
Those lead to my oil cooler. Back when i was still driving the car on street i added that to keep oil temps down.

Just a stock gsr tranny with mfactory lsd added. Been going to the track for 3 seasons without any issues and its held up just fine.

Quick Reply: Drmix's 96 CGP GSR Turbo Drag Build Thread