Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: driveshaft shop axle popping out

differential is busted up too...probably why the c-clip broke
Old 04-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok im having the same issue with this axel,i had it happen afew months back during a burn out at the track and it ripped all the splines off the passenger axel,and grinded afew teath inside my oem lsd.so frank took care of me and fixed my axel,slapped it in and didnt have any more issues till just this morning i was loading the car on the trailer and the same axel popped out ,grinded splines just pass the c-clip.i changed the diff after the last incident to a quaife lsd.the diff is still in good shape..i started to do a little investigation as to why this keeps happening and noticed that the spline shaft on the dss is alittle short compared to a oem axel or other brands.im not sure if its just my axel that seems to be short so im trying to find out what the measurement for a new 5.9 passenger axel ..
Old 04-04-2013, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigpunn421
i think that driveshop axles buys there parts from china.

not sure if they are made in china tho
damn, that's harsh
Old 04-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had the same problem with mines as well.i was racing and my passenger axle popped out.it happened during a pass.they are the 5.9 axles also.i thought i blew my tranny.let the car sat for over a year n finally decided to pull my tranny out to open it up.come to notice,the ring clamp was slight bent.i still opened up the tranny and all gears were fine.i installed a stock axle to the passenger side and it was fine.so i decided to change out the ring clamp and so far its still locking in my diff.im on a stock itr.hp was at 700whp @ 410wtq.hope you get your problem fixed.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this was the past i did wen my passenger axle popped out.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a friend that lived a few miles from DSS. He had a problem with one of their axles binding. The axle made a lot of noise and the car viciously pull from one side to the next. He would always have to take the axle back to their shop asking for a solution that they could never provide. He would even take the car down their sometimes. For this reason and from other stories I've heard, I just don't know who to go with. I've had Gator axles for 8 years now and never had a problem. Straight plug and play. I need to step up from the gators though. Anyone have a suggestion?
Old 04-07-2013, 03:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im wanting to buy axles as well , but not if they are going to fall out.......
where is DSS to address this problem with us?
Old 04-07-2013, 05:32 AM

Almost all axles we get back with this issue have one of two problems, here they are. and although this is the issue we have always repaired this under warranty at least the 1st time (and sometimes more) so keep in mind were here to help.

The 1st is when the axle is installed its not put into the diff all the way. There is a small 1/8" of spline, then the snap ring groove and then after that there is the full 1" or so of spliined area for the side gearn engagementent . What we see most is when the axle is in-stalled you may get a false sense engagementent thinking the spline is all the way in. what is really happening is the axle is only in on the 1/8" and being it does not have as much spline as it should it tears the spline off.

Once this happens the axle will never stay in, this is when most would say i have installed it several times and i keeps coming out. once the spline end is damaged its looses it seat on the spline and will not stay in. So please after an install make sure its all the way in and try to take it out. if its in all the way and takes a larger screwdriver or small pry bar to take it out its all the way in. if this is done there is no "mysterious way" it can come out.(unless the car is extremely low and the inner boot is stretched all the way out pulling on it (always look for the simple things)

2n most common would be the side gear is cracked in the diff, i have seen many people on this board send axles back stating the spline has just "stripped out" this would be the area past the 1/8" (the longer 1" section) you see the material we make this part from is 300M, we purchase this material direct from Sweden (no not China) and machine it in house. The material is by far some of the best we have ever worked with and is also stronger then ANY and i mean ANY differential side gear made.
here you see us rolling a spline (again in house) rolled splines are the strongest way to make a spline, its actually a forging and will be 30-40% stronger any cut spline.

This is why the side gears will fail 1st. Keep in mind we have been in this from the beginning. we went as far as we could with this size with literally 100's of heat treat designs and tempers to find the one that works best and we had to make it stronger then the diff, this is also why we offer and made the custom 28 spline pro-kits the larger spline was needed and there are records to show this, maybe ask one of the faster guys how they used the 5.9 until it was time. some cars need it.

you see when a male spline fails it will break the bar when engauged correctly can not strip unless the female side is damaged in some way. Im not going to say each and every person here has had one of these issues. We are human and make mistales but i will say this, back in the 80's when we started the rebuilt axle division doing as much as 8000 axles a month we did learn a few things about axles and the way there installed, what causes problems and what needs to be done to ensure there is no problem. This was a problem on almost any axle that is pushed into the diff, add an aftermarket diff and the issue is more apperent. I am willing to help each and everyone one of you here, PM me and i assure you the problem will be assesed and repaired, were car guys here at DSS. We want to treat you like we would want to be treated if we were having and issue so please let us help.

if all you want to do is bad talk, well its and open forum and some people may prefer to bad talk instead of finding out and issue, correcting it and moving on. your welcome to post but you will not get a responce from us, if your willing to talk, work for a solution i wecome anyone to PM or post.

Frank J. Rehak 111

p.s. if anyone wants to come by our new building and see how axles are actually made,(not purchased and put in another box) please shoot me a email to Frank@driveshaftshop.com we are in a new 50,000sq ft building with many new machines and some wild parts. come on by. you will be glad you did.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We have sold and used DSS axles for years and even lost count of how many we've been trough.

I can honestly say that the only time we have had issues was with certain diffs, vehicle height, and other things that had nothing to do with the product itself.

When we sell complete kits with the parts that we recommend, 10 out of 10 times we do not experience a problem. When customers are piecing different brands together (which they have the right to do) that is where I have seen issues come up.

The problem, is that there are so many aftermarket parts that can be used in conjunction with the axles, sometimes you will run into problem that is not the axles fault.

However, what I find that impresses me, is that DSS stands behind their product and will not point the finger and say "hey you are screwed, you shouldn't have used this or did that"

They've always stepped up and help find a solution for the customer.
If you ever have an issue, whether you think it is their fault or not. Contact them directly and I can guarantee you they will help you resolve it.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fully agree with the above.

I don't think there is a company in the industry with the customer support/service of DSS.

Given the fact that a huge majority uses their product, you're going to hear of problems from time to time. Sometimes they're situations where it looks like it's DSS's fault and it's not, and sometimes it will be their fault. You can't build something for that many different applications and for the most extreme use possible and never have a failure. What's important is that if there is a problem, there's someone that cares on the other end of the line when it's time to get it fixed.

You're not going to find many people who know more about axles and driveshafts than DSS!
Old 04-07-2013, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tony1

I don't think there is a company in the industry with the customer support/service of DSS.

Given the fact that a huge majority uses their product, you're going to hear of problems from time to time. Sometimes they're situations where it looks like it's DSS's fault and it's not, and sometimes it will be their fault. You can't build something for that many different applications and for the most extreme use possible and never have a failure. What's important is that if there is a problem, there's someone that cares on the other end of the line when it's time to get it fixed.

You're not going to find many people who know more about axles and driveshafts than DSS!
Took the words out of my mouth, Frank and crew at DSS have always had the best technical support and customer service and beyond that you can just tell with how they conduct themselves at how much they truly care about enthusiasts who use their product.

I wish there were more companies like this!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i called dss and was able to trouble shoot my axel problem and they are going to be taking care of me again..i can truly say they take great care of there customers..wouldn't buy any other axels on the market..
so now im curious to know how the fastguys use the 5.9's untill there ready to upgrade?

Last edited by lvdb-2; 08-18-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lvdb-2
so now im curious to know how the fastguys use the 5.9's untill there ready to upgrade?
I'm gonna guess when they start stripping out hubs or diffs.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by DraginX
I'm gonna guess when they start stripping out hubs or diffs.
yes almost always the side gear will split causing the spline to strip.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

FYI...my issue was a broken LSD I believe was caused by axle bind from the car being slammed to the ground (while troubleshooting, I could see the boot stretched to the max). I purchased the car this way and only had it for one day before the problem started. ----->I raised the car, rebuilt the transmission, and replaced the axle with a stock unit (its only a 210whp car). I did not blame DSS for my problem, was just looking for some input. The DSS axle is in the garage on the floor, I will post up a pic tonight when I come home for reference.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to hear that you are having issues, but you shouldn't worry because you are dealing with the best company in our industry. I know for a fact with Richmond spools you will have an issue, because Richmond spools made their diff a hair larger. I'm not sure if that was a machining issue on their end or what the deal was. I've used DSS on stock diffs, wavetracs, quiaffes as well as DSS spools I haven't had any issues to date. That's from Level 0's to 5.9's and now Pro's that I have experience with.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony1

Took the words out of my mouth.
DSS guys are best in the business.
Had a problem like it but in the end it was the diff.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Agree with Tony1 Felix Avid... allways have had great results with drive shaft shop axles, their quality and customer service is among the best in the industry....
Old 04-08-2013, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great tech info there driveshaftshop. Been using DSS 5.9 for the last two years up until my crash. Checked my axles and they looked fine but I sent it back to them just to double check. Great customer service over there!

From all the comments from the heavy hitters above, I couldn't agree more!
Old 04-09-2013, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Been running DSS axles from bar upgrades to full axles and CF DS for years without issues.
Frank is super easy to deal with and over all a pleasure to work with.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JuniorAWD
Been running DSS axles from bar upgrades to full axles and CF DS for years without issues.
Frank is super easy to deal with and over all a pleasure to work with.
uh oh who let this guy in
Old 04-09-2013, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That is odd
Old 04-09-2013, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by E Town DSM
uh oh who let this guy in

Old 04-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Trial User

I've been running DSS axles in my 900hp, 9.50second Rx7 for about 4 Years now with no issues. After three years of abuse on the track and street, I sent them back for a rebuild and just to have them checked for the new season. I had the axles back to me and in my car in a little over a week, and I had some of the best customer service I've experienced in this industry, or any other. Thanks for the great products and service. Keep up the good work guys!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:34 PM

we have used DSS axels for going 10 or so years, frank has been one of the best company's to work with as a business to business, sponsor to race team, and marketing partner to event promotion that anyone can ask for. for anyone to say he takes parts from over sea's and put it in a box is BS. WE HAVE NEVER had an issue that frank could not solve for us. there are some company's that you bitch about in a forum to get **** done but not this company, they always answer there phone and they are always there to help. I have used every diff accept for Richmond or Wavetrack and never hade an issue, even an obx. So be careful what you say about a company who has a A+ rating in customer service. your barking up the wrong tree.

Quick Reply: driveshaft shop axle popping out