Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

driveshaft shop axle popping out

Old 11-09-2008, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 driveshaft shop axle popping out

I BOUGHT A SET OF THESE STAGE 5 AXLES LAST YEAR AND KEPT HAVING THE PASSENGER SIDE AXLE POPPING OUT CONSTANTLY. I CALLED AND CALLED THE SHOP AND THEY KEPT TELLING ME IT WAS THE DIFF I WAS USING (RICHMOND SPOOL). THEY SAID IT WAS THE SNAP RING ALSO. I SHIPPED THE AXLE BACK TO THEM AND THEY SENT A NEW ONE,, SAME THING....
THE THING IS WHEN I INSTALL THE AXLE IT DOESN'T SEEM TO GO IN FAR ENOUGH AND TRUST ME ITS IN ALL THE WAY. AFTER INSTALLATION IT WIGGLES UP AND DOWN WITH ALOT OF PLAY. IF I REMOVE THAT AXLE AND STICK A OEM ONE IN IT SLIDES ALL THE WAY IN AND HAS NO WOBBLE OR PLAY.... IVE SPOKE WITH FRANK AND HE SEEMS TO THINK ITS NOT HIS PRODUCT BUT MY OEM FITS PERFECT. HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM?
THE REASON I AM WRITING THIS IS CUZ WHILE AT THE DYNO YESTERDAY I WAS ON MY WAY TO MAKING 850whp AND THE AXLE POPPED OUT AND THE CAR TOOK A VIOLENT RIGHT TURN AND ALMOST TOTALLED MY CAR, NOT TO MENTION I THINK I BROKE THE TRANNY NOW. I ALWAYS HAD A PROBLEM AT THE TRACK WITH THIS AND WOULD HAVE TO CHECK AND POP IT BACK IN AFTER EVERY PASS. 2000 DOLLARS FOR THIS IS TOTAL BS!!! I HAVE HASPORT MOUNTS AND THE MOTOR IS NOT SAGGING OR OUT OF ALLIGNMENT.

I TRIED INSERTING SOME PICS BUT IT JUST SAYS IMAGE. AND PLEASE I DONT NEED ANY BASHING COMMENTS ON HOW TO INSTALL AN AXLE, AND YOU DONT NEED A SLEDGE HAMMER TO INSTALL AN AXLE ALTHOUGH I HAVE USED A HEAVY HAMMER SO SET IT IN AND MAKE SURE IT WAS IN ALL THE WAY

Modified by civicxpress at 9:43 AM 11/9/2008
Old 11-09-2008, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 5.9 driveshaft shop axle popping out (civicxpress)

It sucks that you're having problems and i'm sure you'll get them worked out, but that is a chance you take using a spool. Be careful, if an axle breaks under acceleration it's going to get ugly. Might want to look into going to a diff, it's not worth risking your car.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do these axles use the small stub shaft on the passenger side?? So basically the inner joint on the passenger side is a female??

If so, I had this issue to. I know it sounds crazy, but I took a nickel or quarter (i can't remember, whichever fit better ), and put it in the cup of the female joint to space the stub shaft out further so the snap ring would lock into the diff. It worked, and ran it for years like that.

The stub shaft's snap rings were still locked in place on both sides, but like yours, it just didn't go into the trans far enough to engage the snap ring, so I came up with that hillbilly fix.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostedh22a)

we had some problems in the past with th 5.9's and the richmond spool. get some new c clips, push the shaft side of the boots as far in to the cv and reclamp, when installing make sure you try and force the axle in a couple of times to make sure its in and you should be good to go. after we started pushing the boots in the axles stopped popping out.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ciscoscivic)

should i switch to a different spool or go to a diff, and if so what kind...personally i was looking to sell my driveshaft shop setup and have been looking at the TCI setup they have out. axles, hubs and spool all same company should fit nice!! then again when you spend 2000 on a dss setup u would think that for that kind of money you woulnt have any problems.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicxpress)

its not really the axles, the spool doesn't have a big lip for the c clip to grab onto, switch over to a lsd if you don't want to deal with it.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i beg to differ on that because if i stick my stock axle in, it fits perfect. it seems that the splines are to long and not letting the axle go in far enough.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicxpress)

Originally Posted by civicxpress
i beg to differ on that because if i stick my stock axle in, it fits perfect. it seems that the splines are to long and not letting the axle go in far enough.
This is what I noticed too. It'll go in, just space it out a hair inside the cup, if you even have that type of inner joint. You haven't answered that question yet.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem a couple of months back with level 2.9 in a open diff b16 tranny. It was also the passenger side. It seemed that the c clip would not catch. Sent it back and when I got the replacement I didn't have the problem anymore.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nvrl8
I had the same problem a couple of months back with level 2.9 in a open diff b16 tranny. It was also the passenger side. It seemed that the c clip would not catch. Sent it back and when I got the replacement I didn't have the problem anymore.
I also have the DSS 2.9 CV axles. Installed them a few months ago. While under my car recently I noticed my passenger CV has a 1/4"-3/8" gap from the tranny housing. Luckily, I noticed this now before my axle flies out on the highway and sends me crashing. Can I just get a new spring clip from DSS; or do I need to ship the entire axle back to them? BTW I have this axle going into a S80 GSR tranny with a Quaife LSD.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My ? is have you ran the stock axle to see if if pops out or are you just talking when u have it apart? ive had this same problem changed the c-clips and its good to go.

Originally Posted by civicxpress
Old 07-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A friend of mine was having a very similar problem and ended up being the 32mm nut came loose on the counter shaft and kept on popping out axles also under load . And that would explain why u might of broken your trans .. I don't think the axles where you're issue. Hope this helps
Old 07-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony1
It sucks that you're having problems and i'm sure you'll get them worked out, but that is a chance you take using a spool. Be careful, if an axle breaks under acceleration it's going to get ugly. Might want to look into going to a diff, it's not worth risking your car.
What he said^^^
Old 07-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: driveshaft shop axle popping out

My stock OEM axles fit just fine. I switched to he DSS 2.9 axles because I was prepping for boost. Can I buy the clips from an auto parts store; or purchase the whole axle and remove the needed clip; or turn the DSS axle in for warranty? You would think this part of the CV would not be such a weak link. Normally if the CV fails you just have some clicking sounds to start. Not fly out of your differential and send you sailing abruptly to the right.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude, you said he SENT YOU A NEW AXLE...theres no way you got 2 bad axles. Its your spool. You think jumping to the right on the dyno is bad?....wait til something like this happens going 140+ under acceleration at the track.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony1
what kind of diff would u rec . i just got my spool n and was thinking if an axles would break how would the car react . i rather loose a trans then loose mt car
Old 07-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok quick question. I have dss 2.9 and the pass side doesn't go all the way in and it's been fine no leaks no pop outs but feels loose when you move it up and down. So from what I've heard and seen is that the pass side inner spline that goes in tranny is suppose to stick out bout 1.5" or so. I was told this was normal but is this really true?
Old 07-03-2011, 12:55 AM

before you start blaming a very reputable company on ht make sure you know you problem before you blame the axels. ill tell you i did wreck my car at the track tonight not because of an axel or any another sponsor on my cars product. Its called racing. but i will let you know i have 3 other friends who run richmond spools and have the same problem so really take a look before you start blaming people. i use a m factory lsd and quaiffe no problems you wont make to many friends on here taking shots at someone like dss who helps this industry the way they do.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I realize this thread is old...but I am having the same passenger side axle issue right now with a CTR tranny and the DSS 2.9 axles. Just popped out the other day on the highway. Luckily not all the way, but blew tranny fluid all over the under carriage and hatch. 92 EG w/B20vtec.

Axles purchased from HPF in 2010 5000 miles tops.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've seen it happen from time to time. Replace the clip with an oem one. That should help.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess I have to pull it to really know. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With the dss 5.9's and a mfactory would the gap still be there?
Old 02-27-2013, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Man I was chasing the same prob for over a year. I even had my car towed the first time because I thought I broke the axle. One time in my garage I had the trans out of my car putting everything back together I said F it let me go to honda and try a new oem snap ring. The snap ring that they gave me was way thicker and the thing hasnt popped out since then. And DSS tried telling me the same thing that there was a prob with my diff lol
Old 03-06-2013, 02:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

car is at the shop, the c clip broke in half. Have to crack the tranny open to see if the metal is floating around in there.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Twodottwo27
With the dss 5.9's and a mfactory would the gap still be there?
i know 2 people who had the same problems. the axles wouldnt fit right and poped them selves out over time. i think that driveshop axles buys there parts from china.

not sure if they are made in china tho

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: driveshaft shop axle popping out