Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Did anyone run at the HIN rivalry Drag racing! NE Dragway this weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did anyone run at the HIN rivalry Drag racing! NE Dragway this weekend?

I was just checking if anyone ran their cars at the HIN event in Epping NH this weekend? They have it set up as all bracket and Im trying to feel it out and see what people thought because I have a couple ideas of how I would like to see the classes. Did anyone run? If so, what did you think about it? Any ideas for changes to make it better?
Rain did come though around 9pm which ended the event early but the stands were absolutly packed during the racing and tons had to just stand.

Right now they have 4 classes, all dot tires except for one slick clasa but they are bracket style. Which to me is not fun. I was thinking of talking to them about keeping it 4 classes but doing 2 bracket classes 14.0 and slower and 13.9 and faster, to take care of those that don't feel they fit in the other classes but feel that they are consistant enough to run a bracket race.
Now for those, like me, that enjoy heads up racing I was thing of doing an outlaw FWD, no rules other than must be unibody and stock style suspension. So any weight, tires, adders and so forth. I know a lot of the all motor guys and gals would want a heads up too but most are consistant enough to run bracket, at least I know Loan is, or I may see if they want an all motor class.
Then doing outlaw RWD/AWD, must be unibody and stock style suspension. These rules have to be simple because I don't think HIN wants to do a full rulebook and have to worry about running a huge car show and drag event. Yet, I think this would allow for all types to find a place to fit. Of course they have to be sport compact vehicles, 4 and 6 cyl and 2 rotor or whatever. Do you think simple rules like this would work? Just to get some heads up competition and especially since most have their BOTI and IFO setups anyways so it would still be balanced and the fastest guy doesn't always win anyways, so just cause you have a crazier set up, doesn't promise a win. Let me know because I think more people would come out if it wasn't all bracket, but everyone would have to be happy with a simple, broad set of rules. It can't get complicated.
Not sure if they would change anything this first year but I think they need imput on the drag side.
Let me know. Thanks. Jessica.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Did anyone run at the HIN rivalry Drag racing! NE Dragway this weekend?

HIN did a great job getting people there. but they didnt put much thought on how to do it. you can get in with a race/show ticket but if you are with your family they asked for us to go back outside and wait till 4pm for spectator tickets! Not much thought into that. So for the way they had this setup I paid $110 to get into the show with my kid really not happy about that and they will never sell me another ticket as i will never attend anothet HIN event ever again.

The racing was good not alot of race cars but there was alot of comp which was great. I think the normal Import Wars we have here are setup way better than HIN was. Then it all got rained out and HIN keeps the prize $$$ great turn out for them when it comes down to it I am not happy with HIN and havent been for a long time now.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Did anyone run at the HIN rivalry Drag racing! NE Dragway this weekend?

Yea I drove one of the hin guys and he was talking about how people wanted in and out and I said that is how it works in drag racing. They will fix that next show. If you break and have time to get a part from your shop to fix it, then you need to be allowed to leave and re enter. So they will have sperate routes and pit passes for the next one. They need to understand how that works.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also I was informed that they were spliting payout.. Did you wait around for that?
Old 05-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well since you asked,here I go.First a little ranting.The total lack of organization on HIN's part was amazing.There was no schedule of events on any level.I emailed HIN and was told that tech was starting at 9am,with qualifying at 10am.So I take off work (overtime) and show up at a little past 9am.I pull up to the track and see a line at the closed gate.I talk to the guy parked in front of me and he says the track is waiting for the HIN officials to show up.At 10am I here they are opening at 11am.Some one has an email saying they are teching at 11am and qualifying at noon.The NED crew comes out of the track and starts teching in the parking lot outside the track.They still haven't been told when to open the gate.The sun has been out since about 10am.At 11:30am the start selling wristbands at the gate ticket booth.At noon they start letting in the race cars while the show cars are parked a half mile of so down the road.Now that I'm in the gate it starts to shower.I go to tech at around 2pm now that they have the track dry to find out when we are going to run.They still haven't been told by HIN yet!!!!
They tell me to watch the flag pole for my class color flag like normal.At about 3pm the flags go up and I get about seven practice runs in before the Christmas tree breaks down.It takes the track an hour or so to fix it.So I go over to tech to see if they know when we are going to run now that the tree is fixed.They still haven't been told, just watch for your flag.They run to rounds of qualifying but never take the flags down.I decide to drive down to staging to see whats going on and my class has already started eliminations.I pull up to the end of the line and race the car in front of me.We are the last pair, even though I past a few cars in my class still sitting in the pits.I win that round and drive directly back to staging.Some cars that won their round stopped at their pit.They pair us up with who ever is in front of us.The first pair goes up to the line and it starts pouring.They tell us they are going to wait it out and to stay in staging.After a half hour of pouring rain I go to the tower to see what the deal is.They say they haven't called it yet.There is no way they could dry the track even if it had stopped an hour ago.I go back to the pit and load up in the rain.I spend a half an hour trying to find where and if we get paid.I finally get past security and fill out a w9 form and they are going to mail me a check.We will see.

Now to answer you question.I hate bracket racing but love the index deal.I'll say 90% of the cars that show up are not regular racers.I race 5 or 6 times a year and I run mid 13's.I ran the 14 second and slower index.My test runs that day were from 14.7's to a 14.08.I ran another mid fourteen second car but holeshotted him .063 to .485 .The guy in front of me won his round with a 15.10 on a holeshot.
On our regular Import Wars events a track regular always wins in the bracket.He runs within a few tenth of his dial and sup .020 reaction with a stock auto v6 Cavileir.I do "run only" on those weekends along with 80% of the cars.
With ametuers the index is much better.The spectators see a heads up start and watch cars race all the way down the track.
I know nobody wants to hear it, but Pinks has it right.They pair up cars in a tight index and race them heads up.
How about doing two or three rounds of "all out" quallifying and group them in one of four or five indexes.
As an example. 100 cars take time.
12 cars are 9.40 to 10.1 ....9.20 index
20 cars are 10.6 to 11.2 ...10.40 index
28 cars are 11.4 to 12.0 ...11.20 index
etc...

The fans and racers would love it.Have the purses progressive and give the racers the option to bump up one index without knowing the car count in the index.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We went to HIN once with the yellow car when the show was in Boston, 04 or 05 can't remember. What I do remember is the place was so dark you couldn't even see the details on the cars. Never when again.

Was kind of looking forward to going to Epping yesterday but the lack of details on what was going on kept me away. You can't start a drag race at 4PM an expect the faster cars to show up. The track should open at 8AM, let the racers get in and set up, get a few qualifing rounds and start the eliminations. Somebody needs to realize this is an outdoor event. You can never count on the weather, I've lived here in NE most of my 54 years, this time or just about any time of the year, the weather is changable.

Jessica, thanks for stepping up and trying to improve the show for next year.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well that's my thing, is I want to help them because I see an oportunity for an event that has stuck around and been sucessful through all the import events failing out. HIN shows have always been huge and the attendance was crazy yesterday! It wouldbe nice for us racers to have a place to run, where there are fans in the stands. And obviously HIN has figured out the car show scene over time and has it down perfectly and maybe , with some effort, can do the same for the drag scene. Im hoping they see that drag racing can work at the shows and bring people out, so that the continue to do it. I know what racers want, because I am one, and I want to help them do things right. The thing bothering most of us at the events I've been to lately is how unorganized everything from tech to qualifying to elimintaions has been. Nothing runs smooth at any event. Now this was HIN's forst attempt at drag racing, so I wasn't expecting it to be perfect BUT, those stands were packed and people were definently staying out to watch people run. That says a lot, so the fans were happy and now I want to get the racers happy.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by supragrl93
Also I was informed that they were spliting payout.. Did you wait around for that?
yea it was really unfair.. but its whatever I will never go back to HIN all set with them.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know it's all hind sight now but I think the could have had NED run the drag end of things and observed.The car next to me in the pits was a street driven Camaro that normally runs the 11.50 class on a weekly basis.He emailed HIN and was told he could race.He was teched, given a number and ran warm ups.A couple other guys with domestics were told they could only run exhibition.The only other car is his class was complaining that he shouldn't be allowed to race.He did race and won the class.But he had the hassle of that added to all the other issue we all had.

Please take this as constructive as I know sometimes the promoters are busy putting out other fires all day.

On another note it was fun to watch the NRG Corvette try to get down the track.He did a 8.00 at 150mph shutting of at the 1/8th or so.The did an "easy" 7 something at 193mph on the first pass.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea Paul Major's car is sick! That thing wins a ton of outlaw events. It was awsome to have them out there.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

they could make it in to a hot import day instead of hot import night deal at one point they did do that not sure if they still do... and deffinetly add the racing and always should do a rain date screw the rain or shine....... I heard from so many friends that people were getting stuck in mud both show cars and cars out in the parking lot.

The racing was like a last min add on to the show thats why there was as many car that showed for racing. Like miller said they were orignally going to e-town with paul's car and didn't even know there was a event up in NED and some how ending up in NED
Old 05-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well im sure if they decide to keep pushing the drag racing for events they will do a little earlier qualifying and start 1st round right after the event starts. I think the night racing is cool and adds to the atmostphere of the events. We used to do a night race in Vegas for NHRA and it was always fun, besides the 100 degree temps.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the racing under the lights, it's just that the weather plays such a big part. I have been to NED for their jet car show, in fact drove home in the rain after that event last year.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ceazdachamp was there tearing it up, but the kids from MASS was hitting 9's all day.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was all confused with the whole sign up online thing, and come to find out i just had to go to the track like any other race even't so by the time i called someone out there it was too late to take the drive! it looked like a good turnout for HIN
Old 05-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We were there testing the vette because we were there the night before and decided to stay after talking to some of the track people and they ok'd for us to test.

Honestly some of the HIN people were dicks to us. They made us move the trailor 3 times and at one point one of the guys said "you guys are a hassle and are not doing anything for my event". Those words changed after we ran the car and they saw the crowds reaction. I think the night racing can deff be huge and add to the show. I do think they should maybe mix it up a little. In my honest opinion you are not going to get huge turnouts for brackets races. They need to mix it up a little.

Jessica you have a pm.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:41 PM
rota92

It's tough having a show outside in the middle of May in New England lol

Not sure why they wouldn't have moved the weekend to another time. Perhaps they couldn't have, but next year they should keep it in mind.

I didn't bother going due to the pending weather, but it sounds like we missed something pretty neat to an extent.

I think they should lay out what they want to happen, and let the track take care of the rest. Not sure how involved they were in governing the track on what goes on but NED runs a nice program as do many other tracks.

For doing something different though!
Old 05-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, I am going to forward this to the guys at HIN so they see the feedback and speak to them about some ideas. I know they were impressed with the turnout and how into drag racing people were. They honestly don't know much about it but I think now they should be more interested. We will see if they decide to get more organized and develope the drag side more, because like miller said, it can be a cool and different addition to the show!
Old 05-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jessica, you have a PM
Old 05-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

was going to attend but didn't see spending the dollars for a import wars style event.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by supragrl93
Yea, I am going to forward this to the guys at HIN so they see the feedback and speak to them about some ideas. I know they were impressed with the turnout and how into drag racing people were. They honestly don't know much about it but I think now they should be more interested. We will see if they decide to get more organized and develope the drag side more, because like miller said, it can be a cool and different addition to the show!
I with Jessica! If HIN moves forward with this it can be successful in the right territories. I did see the operations of the event it could be a lot better. They need to have the proper resources that have done this before and I know who that can be!
Old 05-11-2009, 07:48 AM
New User

FYI to all .... the reason why time trials was pushed back was due to the track/weather preparation. from 8-12 they ran the drying tractor numerous times to try and accommodate the racers with a DRY TRACK. For people saying why are domestics racing @ HIN, if you haven't noticed it's called RIVALRY RACE thats why you witnessed NRG's vette race a bike. For the in/out privilege you should know that wrist bands can get you in and out privilege. As far as driving a vehicle in and out the venue it will probably not happen. the only vehicles that should be moving besides the racers in the venue are the ambulance and fire crew. now if you mix a bunch of crew vehicles in there and someone gets injured its just that much HARDER to get to the person/situation thats in need of medical attention.

this is what i was told by a good friend of mine that works @ HIN/Rivalry Race

PM me if you guys have suggestions so i can advise the operations department
Old 05-11-2009, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Another reason you may see a domestic car is the track is helping a racer test. We took rota's car to LVD once during a nothing newer then 1970 drag race and tested for Etown. I think that was the day Ryan ran the 9.85.

It's nice to see the track support the local racers when they need track time.

So please don't get to bent out of shape if something other then what you expect happens.

Like Jessica is saying, with some up front planning this can work and work well.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are they looking to add drag racing to all of their events? For example the event in Columbus, Ohio the drag race track is like an hour away from where the event is. Can it be moved to the drag facility?
Old 05-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

me and ceazdachamp came in 1st and 2nd... great event lil crazy but hey first time HIN does something like this....

ceaz-9.71@154-slick outlaw
aki-11.78@119.8-street tire outlaw

Quick Reply: Did anyone run at the HIN rivalry Drag racing! NE Dragway this weekend?