Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

custom wire harness?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: custom wire harness?

its a shame a nice engine harness (done properly) is damn near as expensive as a nice ecu. it sucks that in order to do a nice ecu, you need to do a nice harness also. lately ive been seeing a lot of harnesses that cost more than the ecu they are attached to. i guess they look cool?
Old 11-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im not in to flashy but im in to clean im doning a b18b1 swap and was wounding why do the custom wire harness look so small come per to the oem one what do you take out to make it look so good and have it work like it should
Old 11-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I built my own... I'll try to get some pics up soon
Old 11-05-2010, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sure I would have the patience to build my own but I would need schematics and measurements before I start anything. Either way I haven't taken on the task yet but once I figure out the proper wiring and proper materials along with being able to find a place to purchase the material then I wouldn't mind building my own. Much credit to all you guys who already know how to do these builds. Keep the pictures coming.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll ***** a couple pics of my T1 harness.

Some key features.... Autosport connector at the firewall, setup for my Motec SDL dash, setup for my E888 expansion box, setup for a M&W Pro Drag 4, 8 injectors, T1 trigger, strain, gear position, G-force accelerometer, tons of additional sensors.... etc

The ignition harness was done by T1 as well and on it's own Autosport connector. I didn't want EMI to become an issue so that is why I seperated the system like that. On my last build it was an issue.

Do it right the first time or don't do it at all. I lost a motor due to a shitty wire job, well there were other reasons too....
Old 11-05-2010, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, that's a great and very detailed harness. Once I can find out where some of those materials can be purchased, then I don't mind taking a good amount of time doing research and taking on a task like that.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DIABOLIC8
Wow, that's a great and very detailed harness. Once I can find out where some of those materials can be purchased, then I don't mind taking a good amount of time doing research and taking on a task like that.
It's worth it in the end to pay someone to make it. Trust me.

Crimper - $2-450
Wire strippers - $100
Wire tefzel (color coded) - $250
Firewall bulkhead - $250-400 (depending on the type)
Heat shrink (the right kind) - $400
Heat shrink boots (the right kind) $150

Now, when you order from T1 you get a complete schematic. Pin to pin and it even tells you wire color and connection type. Well worth it when or if you ever need to troubleshoot.

I don't know if T1 does normal harnesses, but he does them for the Motec stuff.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alot of info can be found here
https://honda-tech.com/forums/welding-fabrication-53/amphenol-mil-spec-connector-guide-2154272/

Making a harness is easy, just very time consuming. I made one with Raychem and tezfel witing and all, i had about 400 in it.Not including the tools....

This is where i bought my wires from
http://www.steinair.com/wire.htm
Old 11-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tepid1
It's worth it in the end to pay someone to make it. Trust me.

Crimper - $2-450
Wire strippers - $100
Wire tefzel (color coded) - $250
Firewall bulkhead - $250-400 (depending on the type)
Heat shrink (the right kind) - $400
Heat shrink boots (the right kind) $150

Now, when you order from T1 you get a complete schematic. Pin to pin and it even tells you wire color and connection type. Well worth it when or if you ever need to troubleshoot.

I don't know if T1 does normal harnesses, but he does them for the Motec stuff.

Hope this helps.
Yeah I know it can get quite expensive, I just wanted to give it a shot with a regular harness not necessarily a race harness. I would like to make a mil-spec harness but I know thats on another level. It's more just something I've been wanting to try for a long time and never did.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B18c1turboedEK
Making a harness is easy, just very time consuming. I made one with Raychem and tezfel witing and all, i had about 400 in it.Not including the tools....
And thus it begins everyone and their sister whoring out these harnesses. I remember about 12 years ago the same thing with the ecu harnesses when I started making them. Next thing you know, its super simple and everyone and their sister is making them. You are right....it's not rocket science, but at the same time....this isn't changing your oil either. Look at Tepid and the issues that he went through with EMI. Your typical "harness" builders look at some pictures and go with it thinking they have it made. There is some method to madness in why the price is higher than one would think. Is your harness great and was it easy for you to build....maybe. But to 99% of the people out there, unless you are an expert in wiring and understanding things....buy one from a reputable person.

Tony's guy does a great job for sure and I recommend people to T1 all the time. Only down side to Tony is that he doesn't sell you the shrink with the pretty DR-25 writing...LOL. Giving you crap homie.

Originally Posted by Turbo-charged
its a shame a nice engine harness (done properly) is damn near as expensive as a nice ecu. it sucks that in order to do a nice ecu, you need to do a nice harness also. lately ive been seeing a lot of harnesses that cost more than the ecu they are attached to. i guess they look cool?
I agree to a point Joe. Sometimes you are paying for a name and with the limited number harness builders doing this....sure there maybe some room for wiggle. But really factor in the cost of the materials when built right and the amount of hours to properly build one you still forget the planning and research that went into making them. It took me a long time to figure out many of the different ecu harnesses and ecu maps and that time and effort was reflected into the price. Now a days....everyone just copies and ****** out and forgets that there was a ton of NRE associated with the original product....../end rant.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i wasnt complaining about the cost, i know whats involved in making one. i just sorta saying that the cost of the harness is what prevents a lot of people from getting into a good ecu. the ecu by its self isnt all that bad, but onceyou need a harness also.....the 2 combined is a good chunk of money!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There was already a really good thread about this. Basically if you can afford it, it's worth it considering a properly done "mil spec" harness will out last your car and motor.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn tepid! Thats beautiful!
Old 11-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does raychem make money green shrink wrap?
Old 11-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the milspecs are so easy to make how come you haven't done it yet. They Take slot of work in sourcing out materials "the right ones" then how to make it correctly. Organize your colors and **** then actually do it and put it together.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

$1000 bucks for a harness! *looks over at weller and hakko stations setup on the workbench*
Old 11-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock harness. No issues. I wouldn't spend 1000 on a harness.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92redhatch
No kidding...im glad I have never tried to modify the harness in my em1 in anyway...its still perfect.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With your 425hp turbo car, you're fine with the stock harness. It's those of us that have an ecu capable of datalogging many more channels, using a nice ignition box, and are tired of dealing with 20 year old OEM harnesses, that have a desire for a properly built harness.

T1 is doing the harness for my car, and yes, the harness cost more than the ECU connected to it. I'm glad I'm spending the money on it and doing it right this time. You only live once, right?

Originally Posted by 92redhatch
Old 11-05-2010, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good lord, what I wouldnt give for one of those harnesses. Only problem is they'd need my car there to get it all right. And that would be an expense on its own
Old 11-06-2010, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Blown90hatcH
And thus it begins everyone and their sister whoring out these harnesses. I remember about 12 years ago the same thing with the ecu harnesses when I started making them. Next thing you know, its super simple and everyone and their sister is making them. You are right....it's not rocket science, but at the same time....this isn't changing your oil either. Look at Tepid and the issues that he went through with EMI. Your typical "harness" builders look at some pictures and go with it thinking they have it made. There is some method to madness in why the price is higher than one would think. Is your harness great and was it easy for you to build....maybe. But to 99% of the people out there, unless you are an expert in wiring and understanding things....buy one from a reputable person.
I get your point, but if the ELECTRONICS in the ECU are on point, then you shouldnt have to worry about EMI right?

I've had had to fix a number of "Mil-Spec" harnesses for customers that ended up paying me more in labor than it cost for their harness...but the market drives the copycats and the cheapos and unfortunately you cannot stop that.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by locash
With your 425hp turbo car, you're fine with the stock harness. It's those of us that have an ecu capable of datalogging many more channels, using a nice ignition box, and are tired of dealing with 20 year old OEM harnesses, that have a desire for a o built harness.
O
T1 is doing the harness for my car, and yes, the harness cost more than the ECU connected to it. I'm glad I'm spending the money on it and doing it right this time. You only live once, right?
The day I go motec or aem series 2 I'll still use the factory harness. The only reason I see people buying a 1000 dollar harness is for the wire tuck.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 11-06-2010, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Waiting for obx to copy one and have nothing work right, but people will buy it because it will be priced at $250.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For the wire tuck? Are you really that ignorant? Since when does the stock Civic harness have provisions for 8 injectors, egt's, backpressure, multiple IAT's, boost control, input shaft speed, coil on plug, the list goes on?

Sure, the harness looks pretty, but I didnt spend significantly more than that $1000 price tag for the wire tuck look.

Quick Reply: custom wire harness?