Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Building a custom wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 01:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a custom wiring harness

Hello I am building a custom wiring harness for my fully gutted no dash 1991 civic. I am trying to make a simplified harness along with a fuse box. I am planning on keeping the main relay. The car right now has a b20 and running a obd 1 p72. What wiring diagram for what car should I try and base this off of? Ive seen different pin outs for some things like the number 4 injector. https://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/...00c15280061b0f On this diagram it says that is a14 http://www.phearable.net/information...-pin-outs.html on this pinout it says that its pin A2. Do they both work?
Old 02-16-2018, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Building a custom wiring harness

I would like to eventually go ls vtec so I would like to add inthe vtec wire for later.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

Keeping the main relay is keeping a lot of bulk. Use the diagram for the harness you're using. If you're using the 91 harness then use the diagram for that. You'll also use the diagram for whatever engine harness you're using.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But how does it make sense to try to base it off a obd0 dpfi harness when I am building it for obd1? Have to go thro twice the amount of work trying to figure out the obd 0 - obd 1 conversions. Also what do you suggest other then building a higherqaulity main relay using generic automotive relays. I want to keep the 3 second fuel injection prime and also keep it so when the car is not running its not pumping fuel, I thought about a main relay delete but decided it would not be safe if I was trying to mass produce my harnesses. Anyone delete the brake switch?
Old 02-24-2018, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

technicly I should be able to take a full chassis and engine harness off a 92-95 civic and have it be a direct plug and play into a mpfi d or b series1990 civic minus potentially some switches and the gauge cluster.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone know what gauge to make the distributor wiring out of? I know like 3 of the wires have to be sheilded and ground, im not sure what wire to buy.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

I did pretty much what you're wanting to do. 88 DP engine harness with a 90 MP chassis harness, all converted to OBD-I except I deleted the main relay and dash fuse box.

With the age of EF harnesses and the low cost to buy new harnesses, for what you're wanting to do I would just press the easy button and get a Rywire harness. You're going to spend less in the long run and won't have any trouble shooting to do after install.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol 2500 dollars for a full custom harness on my 400 dollar car f that. I already have half of it built. just gotta run dizzy wiring.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey so ive been working on the dizzy wiring, I bought some sheilded wire to use. I read somewhere that you have to ground the sheild to the ecu maybe the logic ground? then it has to jump to another ground on the ecu and not just to a chassis ground, Can anybody confirm where to ground the shielded dizzy wiring?