Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Drag Racing (https://honda-tech.com/forums/drag-racing-36/)
-   -   Attn: Ethanol in our gas!?!?! Slow or speed up burning rate?!? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/drag-racing-36/attn-ethanol-our-gas-slow-speed-up-burning-rate-1593714/)

JDM00SI 04-13-2006 08:26 PM

Attn: Ethanol in our gas!?!?! Slow or speed up burning rate?!?

Im sure we all watch the news and have been hearing about our gas being 10% Ethanol.

Im sure most of us have good ttunes on our cars. Also will ethanol slow down or speed up the burning rate on our gas? Should we try out best to prevent ethanol?
I was filling up gas in our other car, gas stations already have been posting notices on the pumps "10 percent ethanol."

I wish it was Methanol that they are using, that would be great. hahha.\

Cliff Notes: Will Ethanol affect our pump gas tunes?

tony1 04-13-2006 08:35 PM

Re: Attn: Ethanol in our gas!?!?! Slow or speed up burning rate?!? (JDM00SI)

I don't think 10% will do much at all, but if anything it should raise the octane a little, which is never a bad thing!

JDM00SI 04-13-2006 08:36 PM

Re: Attn: Ethanol in our gas!?!?! Slow or speed up burning rate?!? (tony1)

I see....

tommyten 04-13-2006 08:40 PM

first your valve springs are going to get weak then the valves are going to hit pistons and then ethanol, oil and coolant are going to spill everywhere...keep a mop in your car just in case, b/c you never know these days

JDM00SI 04-13-2006 08:43 PM

Re: Attn: Ethanol in our gas!?!?! Slow or speed up burning rate?!? (tommyten)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tommyten &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first your valve springs are going to get weak then the valves are going to hit pistons and then ethanol, oil and coolant are going to spill everywhere...keep a mop in your car just in case, b/c you never know these days</TD></TR></TABLE>
hahah your a funny guy tommy.

Jokerluv 04-13-2006 08:50 PM

i just want the damn prices to go back down

JDM00SI 04-13-2006 08:51 PM

Re: (Jokerluv)

Yeah i know... Damn gas prices.

They are only going to keep getting higher.

AR Fab 04-14-2006 02:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM00SI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I wish it was Methanol that they are using, that would be great. hahha.\

Cliff Notes: Will Ethanol affect our pump gas tunes?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Um...Eth has IMAO alot more benefits than Meth....

Hey Tony look another post to play with!!! https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emwink.gif

Enzo-Racing 04-14-2006 10:05 PM

Re: Attn: Ethanol in our gas!?!?! Slow or speed up burning rate?!? (AR Fab)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AR Fab &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Um...Eth has IMAO alot more benefits than Meth....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Meth for me thanks.....

ModenaTwinTurbo 04-15-2006 02:16 AM

Re: Attn: Ethanol in our gas!?!?! Slow or speed up burning rate?!? (Enzo-Racing)

eth https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

jdkindle 04-15-2006 04:06 AM

Cliff Notes: be happy you get E-10 or better, (and NEVER try Meth, it will ruin your life)

When Ethanol is manufactured, it is 100% alcohol, additives are required by Federal law to prevent it from human consumption. When added to conventional gasoline at 10%, it will raise the octane number by a few points. Federal law has also mandated that all gas be blended in the next few years. In the midwest, mid-grade gas is cheaper in some places than regular, due to the addition of close-by manufactured Ethanol. GM has already started making their vehicles E-85 ready, which of course means they can take up to 85% ethanol. The most expensive and pollutive additive to gas and diesel required by Federal Law is being replaced by Ethanol, so while it may not bring gas down, it may hold it at three dollars or so for a good number of years if Ethanol production can come close to meeting the demand that is already greater than the supply.

This industry is going to make many more millionaires in the next 5-10 years; invest any way you can.

JDM00SI 04-15-2006 05:55 AM

Re: Attn: Ethanol in our gas!?!?! Slow or speed up burning rate?!? (jdkindle)

hmm...
well the higher octane, higher burning rate right?
Well won't that mean you'd need to get your set up re-tuned?

Example, having a pump gas tune, you put in 104 octane, im sure it won't run right at all.......

SPOOLINmatt 04-15-2006 06:58 AM

nah ive ran 110 on a pump gas tune and it didnt change anything, then we started tuning on it..

boostedcivicsir 04-15-2006 07:05 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM00SI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm...
well the higher octane, higher burning rate right?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

wouldnt it be the opposite? higher the octane the slower the burn rate.

crxzy 04-15-2006 07:22 AM

ethanol=less power + less gas mileage

ethanol has a lower BTU rating than gasoline meaning you don't get as much power produced from the combustion of eth. compared to gasoline

the whole ethanol in gas is a scam...the gov. makes more money off of it because we don't rely on foreign oil to make eth. they are going to use 85% eth. in ohio soon so hooray for higher gas price and less gas mileage!!!

and the whole GM making E 85 ready vehicles is bs...all vehicles are E85 ready, no modification needed...i hate GM, go bankrupt already

95DxSi-R2 04-15-2006 08:52 AM

Re: (crxzy)

explitive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
higher octane slower burning rate

vtecmissle 04-15-2006 08:42 PM

e 85 is 85% ethanol. In a non ready car it will be very very lean. Not all cars are e85 ready.

SPOOLINmatt 04-17-2006 06:06 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxzy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ethanol=less power + less gas mileage

ethanol has a lower BTU rating than gasoline meaning you don't get as much power produced from the combustion of eth. compared to gasoline</TD></TR></TABLE>

where do you get your info cause theres a lot of race teams that use pure ethanol for racing. ??

civickiller 04-17-2006 11:19 AM

Re: (SPOOLINmatt)

the only thing that i was worried about was that. if the 10% ethanol increases the octane, shouldnt the gas stations change there octane stickers at the pumps?

so yeah i was worried about them decreasing the quality of gas to offset the increase in octane of ethanol to keep gas at the same octane level as it was before

TurboLude97 04-17-2006 11:24 AM

Re: (civickiller)

isn't the rating on the stickers the minimum required octane rating using the (R+M)/2 method?